complete signal loss--seconds at a time

Annie2005

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
California
I am getting a "complete signal loss 015" screen that stays on for a second or two then the picture comes back. It happens over and over again. I tried rebooting and unplugging and rebooting--didn't help. It's not the receiver because it is happening on my other receiver also. Sometimes a message also pops up that says "we are aware of this problem and trying to fix the situation" This has been happening over the last three weeks with a week in between where it was fine, so it is not a satellite dish problem or wiring though I checked and nothing is blocking it and everything with the wires is tight. I called in to repair and they had be check things that seemed fine and said I needed to have a repair man and pay 95. dollars since I don't have the repair plan. I refused. If you guys can't help, I will be switching services to another.Any ideas?

Sounds like the LNB to me.

What is LNB? sorry, I am not a techie. Something about Low Noise? And how is that fixed? And if the dish needs alignment, can that be done in the online setup or does someone actually have to go up on the roof and move it?

Last edited:
The LNB is the gizmo that looks like the "eyes" that aim at the dish. Can't remember what the letters LNB actually are.:eek: How's that for a non-techie explanation?:rolleyes: Yes, if the dish needs to be realigned it has to be physically done.
Another possiblity-Do you by chance have an OTA (over the air) antenna hooked up to your receiver? The symptoms you describe can also be caused be an OTA signal that is jumping up and down even if you're not viewing OTA. Try to tune to a OTA channel that has the strongest signal and leave it there or temporarily disconnect the antenna to see if that is causing the problem. Good luck!

Ed

By "leave it there", I mean have the strongest OTA signal be the last OTA channel you tuned to. You can then view your regular sat programming.

Last edited:
No I don't have OTA at all. It's funny that if it is a bad part like the LNB then you'd think it would happen all the time, but it will happen for two days straight and then not at all for a week then start in again.

No I don't have OTA at all. It's funny that if it is a bad part like the LNB then you'd think it would happen all the time, but it will happen for two days straight and then not at all for a week then start in again.

This is one good reason I have the Dish Network Home Protection Plan on my Dish Network account.It's $6. dollars a month added to my Dish Network bill and anytime a technician needs to come out for intermittent signal problems or realignments all they charge is $15. dollars extra on my bill.It's a good investment in my opinion and keeps my Dish Network system working correctly.;)

goto the menu 6, 1, 1 check sat 119 signal. wait for the signal to lock it will say 119 locked on the bottom
get a friend to help you out on the cell or just yell out the signal strength while you push the dish around(dont unbolt any thing a light shove on top, bottom, left or right should do).
if the strength improves alot then its your alignment. if not then its your lnb.