Complete Signal Loss

Just clarifying... were you on the "point dish" screen when you were moving the dish, or were you just on a channel and waiting for it to detect a signal? I'm not trying to be insulting, but when troubleshooting, if I (we) assume you've done a step correctly, we can miss what the problem is. And were you able to confirm that you had voltage at the LNB end of the cable?

If you want to continue trying to solve this yourself, here's what I would do... First, I'm going to assume your elevation is supposed to be 40 and azimuth 180 (just sample numbers)...
1) Hook up the receiver and little TV as you did before.
2) Go through the menu to the "point signal" screen.
2.5) Do a "Check Switch".
3) Tilt the elevation to 38 degrees and aim at 90 degrees.
4) Pan clockwise slowly (~2 degrees every second) until you're at 270 degrees while watching the signal strength meter. If you get even a blip of signal, stop, move dish left right/up/down to maximize that signal. If you don't get any signal, continue to step 5.
5) Raise the elevation to 39 degrees, and repeat step 4, but in the opposite direction.
6) Continue to raise the elevation by 1 degree and pan across the sky. Do this until you get to 44 degrees of elevation

ETA: I forgot to address the plug.
Either get a replacement cord (I don't remember if the cord is meant to be separated from the receiver), call Dish, or, if you own the receiver, you can cut that end of the cord off, go to your favorite store and pick up and install a new end.
View attachment 149453
If you can't handle putting this onto the end of the cable, you shouldn't even bother trying to troubleshoot your receiver.
Yes I was on the "Point Dish" page when turning the dish by hand. I have a little experience setting up dishes since I used to use a Dish in my RV. I haven't been able to test voltage at the LNB since I don't have the proper meter. I wanted to try a couple more things (which I have done now) before calling for Dish's help. It's obviously a receiver issue and/or LNB coax needing replaced. Thanks for all the info, I may still use it. I appreciate all the help. I'm probably going to contact Dish now.

Yes I was on the "Point Dish" page when turning the dish by hand. I have a little experience setting up dishes since I used to use a Dish in my RV. I haven't been able to test voltage at the LNB since I don't have the proper meter. I wanted to try a couple more things (which I have done now) before calling for Dish's help. It's obviously a receiver issue and/or LNB coax needing replaced. Thanks for all the info, I may still use it. I appreciate all the help. I'm probably going to contact Dish now.
I would suggest you stop everything until you verify you have voltage going to the LNB. Nothing is going to work until you have voltage. I would not do a ‘check switch’, until you do as I think that doing so will wipe out the necessary info for the receiver to have a chance to connect. Just go to the check switch screen and see if it still shown all 3 LNB’s. If it shown no connections, take the receiver to a known good dish and hook it up and run a check switch. Then, once it shows all 3 LNB’s, you can try it on your system.

I would suggest you stop everything until you verify you have voltage going to the LNB. Nothing is going to work until you have voltage. I would not do a ‘check switch’, until you do as I think that doing so will wipe out the necessary info for the receiver to have a chance to connect. Just go to the check switch screen and see if it still shown all 3 LNB’s. If it shown no connections, take the receiver to a known good dish and hook it up and run a check switch. Then, once it shows all 3 LNB’s, you can try it on your system.
The problem with that is that there are different types of LNB's, even for aiming at the exact same satellites. For example, there are 1000.4 DPP LNB's, 1000.2 DPP LNB's, 1000.2 DPH LNB's, and even 1000.2 DPH "Slimline" LNB's, all for aiming at Western Arc. If the receiver is looking for the wrong type of LNB, then it is not going to find the signal. Running the Check Switch with nothing connected is entirely the point: to clear out any incorrect info that may be in the receiver. However, that is also why I said to make sure the dish is aimed as well as possible toward the correct coordinates before doing the Check Switch again, to give the receiver the best chance of actually finding a usable signal with the correct info, before trying to peak the signal strength.

Test the ground and center lug of the cable with your tongue, 18 volts will give you a buzz, but it only hurts for a little while.
Reminds me when I was a kid around 5 my dad was cranking on a lawnmower engine that wouldn't start. He had me touch the spark plug tip and he cranked her. I came a few feet off the ground. Spark was good! My mom was a little upset.

• Wow
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts