Complex hd install. Two 5lbn dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

supraallen

Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Help! Well I thought it was time to upgrade to HD so I called Direct TV and told them I have a small window over my house that the dish looks through to the satellite now. Told them if the other satellite for HD programing was any lower in sky than the orginal it would be below tree line currently 2deg or 3deg above tree line with 96% signal. It only fails to have picture during major storm. Told them I had 30 feet to both sides of orginal satellite of aim. To the right or left of current satellite tree line is lower by 5deg. I was told if I got signal now HD was no problem this was by DirectTV themselves. So I ordered HD to be installed and went out and bought big HD tv. Well 6 installers and 6 months later no HD. First 5 walk down drive and say no way. They have no tools just look at current setup. The 5th guy tells me no way so I ask when he made up his mind it was not posible he tells me "when I first pulled into your subdivision,the trees". Now I have a compass and angle and looked up locations for satellites they all fall in my window of view of the sky but just barely. I raised hell and a senior tech shows up he has a tool to look through at least. He says well it may be posible but they will not install unless it is a sure thing for signal. He looks around tells me if I go to the left of current pole mount I will clip one sat off and if I go to right for new mount I will clip sat on other end off. I am in Atlanta GA, 30188. Can I use two 5lbn dishes and a switch? I have a new H21-200 it has some multiple dish suport in it. Can I use a HR20 or 21 and run a feed from a diffrent dish to each input to get some sats on one and some on the other. If I do this will it say searching for sat all the time. What programing is on the two sats at each end. I was told locals HD feed was a spot beam on one of the end sats. I can not get locals now over the air very well. So if I set up to get my HD locals what will I not get from sat that will be behind trees at other end of string of 5 sats? ANY sugestions ?

Help! Well I thought it was time to upgrade to HD so I called Direct TV and told them I have a small window over my house that the dish looks through to the satellite now. Told them if the other satellite for HD programing was any lower in sky than the orginal it would be below tree line currently 2deg or 3deg above tree line with 96% signal. It only fails to have picture during major storm. Told them I had 30 feet to both sides of orginal satellite of aim. To the right or left of current satellite tree line is lower by 5deg. I was told if I got signal now HD was no problem this was by DirectTV themselves. So I ordered HD to be installed and went out and bought big HD tv. Well 6 installers and 6 months later no HD. First 5 walk down drive and say no way. They have no tools just look at current setup. The 5th guy tells me no way so I ask when he made up his mind it was not posible he tells me "when I first pulled into your subdivision,the trees". Now I have a compass and angle and looked up locations for satellites they all fall in my window of view of the sky but just barely. I raised hell and a senior tech shows up he has a tool to look through at least. He says well it may be posible but they will not install unless it is a sure thing for signal. He looks around tells me if I go to the left of current pole mount I will clip one sat off and if I go to right for new mount I will clip sat on other end off. I am in Atlanta GA, 30188. Can I use two 5lbn dishes and a switch? I have a new H21-200 it has some multiple dish suport in it. Can I use a HR20 or 21 and run a feed from a diffrent dish to each input to get some sats on one and some on the other. If I do this will it say searching for sat all the time. What programing is on the two sats at each end. I was told locals HD feed was a spot beam on one of the end sats. I can not get locals now over the air very well. So if I set up to get my HD locals what will I not get from sat that will be behind trees at other end of string of 5 sats? ANY sugestions ?

This is the perfect time of the year to check for line of sight issues using the sun. Check here to do it:Place satellite dish using sun or moon Also, check this site to see about using multiple dishes:DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - Combine AT9 Dish w/ Existing SatC Dish? Trees!

Can I use two 5lbn dishes and a switch? I have a new H21-200 it has some multiple dish suport in it. Can I use a HR20 or 21 and run a feed from a diffrent dish to each input to get some sats on one and some on the other. If I do this will it say searching for sat all the time. What programing is on the two sats at each end. I was told locals HD feed was a spot beam on one of the end sats. I can not get locals now over the air very well. So if I set up to get my HD locals what will I not get from sat that will be behind trees at other end of string of 5 sats? ANY sugestions ?

Since I'm not from Atlanta, I'm not sure what type of dish you currently have (Single, Dual, or Triple LNB). If it is a Triple LNB, the window for the sats is nearly the same. If you have a Single LNB dish, then basically you're shooting through the trees right now.

It may be possible, but it probably won't work. The 99 and 101 sats use the 13/18 VDC inputs of the multiswitch, and the 103/110/119 use the 13/18 VDC 22kHz inputs on the switch. Unless you can set one dish to see the 99/101 and the other to see from 103-119 you're going to have problems. If you can get one to see from the 103 to the 119, then it should be able to see the 99/101 from there also. If the trees are that much of a problem that this won't work, then in a few months you will have even more problems as the tress grow and the leaves come in.

Given these circumstances, there is probably no way you're going to get a D* installer to do this job because if you do have signal issues in the first 90 days, they're on the hook for fixing it for no pay. You will probably end up having to buy the equipment and do the work yourself if you really want to have D* HD. Since trees grow, eventually you will develop a signal issue.

Nothing is "lower" per se than what you have now. If you used to have a 3 LNB, you had 101, 110, and 119. With a 5 LNB you get 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119. 99 is just a tad higher than 101, which is the only change in the window.

No to 2 dishes.

Very simply put, you either need to start SERIOUSLY thinking about removing some trees if LOS is becoming an issue, or fork up the extra money to have it pole-mounted somewhere on your property out from under the trees, ( if there is a spot) or suck up it up and accept that you may not get HD, if cutting trees down isn't an option. I hate wooded lots with a PASSION especially Ka/Ku installs or upgrades.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)