Component outputs not working. Options, please?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DAtherton

Original poster
Cutting Edge
Aug 7, 2004
San Diego
I have been using four HR24s and an H24 with 4 Slingboxes on our home network for over two years. Suddenly the component outs have ceased to function on one of the HR24s. (I've checked the recalcitrant DVR with each Slingbox and with different cables, so I'm sure the fault is in the DVR.)

Can anyone suggest a solution, please? Are there any third parties from whom I can buy and install a new motherboard (assuming this would fix it)?

Would a new motherboard still allow me to connect my current 2tb SATA external drive and so preserve my recordings?

I "purchased" each box from Solid Signal. Will DirecTV replace it with a similar HR24? I took great pains to ensure that they were matching HR24-500s. Is there any way to ensure that DT supply the SAME model, or am I better off "buying" a new one from Solid Signal?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I have been using four HR24s and an H24 with 4 Slingboxes on our home network for over two years. Suddenly the component outs have ceased to function on one of the HR24s. (I've checked the recalcitrant DVR with each Slingbox and with different cables, so I'm sure the fault is in the DVR.)

Can anyone suggest a solution, please? Are there any third parties from whom I can buy and install a new motherboard (assuming this would fix it)?

Would a new motherboard still allow me to connect my current 2tb SATA external drive and so preserve my recordings?

I "purchased" each box from Solid Signal. Will DirecTV replace it with a similar HR24? I took great pains to ensure that they were matching HR24-500s. Is there any way to ensure that DT supply the SAME model, or am I better off "buying" a new one from Solid Signal?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Good luck with that "Buying" thing.

They officially quit the "Buying" back in '06.
As for swapping motherboards, not sure if that would keep your recordings or not, typically moving a ehd from one to another would re format the drive.

You could try getting one of the new Slingbox's that allow you to use your HDMI cable(I have 2 Slingbox HD Pro's & 1 Slingbox Solo,so it's component cables for all three & digital coaxial cables for my HD Pro's),however,because I've heard that there are problems with the sound passing through the Slingbox to the HDMI output of the new slingbox's,you probably would need to use either the digital optical out put or the digital coaxial output to hook up to your receiver(if that's what you use for sound) or use RCA audio cables to hook up to your TV if that's how you get sound for whatever you watch.

As far as replacing your HR24,you could call Directv technical support & see if they will replace it because of the component outputs,but it doesn't mean that they'll send a -500 model to replace it. I had a HR23-700 replaced with a HR24-200,& the HR24-200 looks just like my HR24-500,it was just made by a different manufacturer.

I haven't heard of a receiver/dvr being replaced because of the component output not functioning as long as the hdmi works. You have to tell a little "white" lie and say the unit is dead and won't even power up. Then they will replace it, but as noted, not necessarily with the same model.

I was waiting for other deeper solutions so here are the crude ones:

There are electronic repair shops still around that can test and repair your box. I'm pretty sure DirecTV doesn't have anyone with volt meters and soldering tools to fix anything but such power exists.

Another approach = a modulator. It might be that connecting the coax output to a modulator will give you the component outlet you need.

Likewise there are conversion cables that will allow connecting component (RCA) lines to Coax....not sure of HDMI.

And you can try the roll of the dice with a service call...........know that that 500 numeral designates one of several manufacturers of what are supposed to be identical units.

Good luck,

joe

I was waiting for other deeper solutions so here are the crude ones:

There are electronic repair shops still around that can test and repair your box. I'm pretty sure DirecTV doesn't have anyone with volt meters and soldering tools to fix anything but such power exists.

Another approach = a modulator. It might be that connecting the coax output to a modulator will give you the component outlet you need.

Likewise there are conversion cables that will allow connecting component (RCA) lines to Coax....not sure of HDMI.

And you can try the roll of the dice with a service call...........know that that 500 numeral designates one of several manufacturers of what are supposed to be identical units.

Good luck,

joe

The OP is looking for component video not composite.....

To the OP. Are you 100% convinced the component output has failed? Remember if you have a non-HDCP compliant device (or an HDCP-compliant device that is switched off) connected to the HDMI output, and you watch an HDCP-protected source like a premium movie channel, the component output will be shut down....

The OP is looking for component video not composite.....

To the OP. Are you 100% convinced the component output has failed? Remember if you have a non-HDCP compliant device (or an HDCP-compliant device that is switched off) connected to the HDMI output, and you watch an HDCP-protected source like a premium movie channel, the component output will be shut down....

Brit,
Thanks...I'll search out component & composite. Got any links? Don't recall those ever coming up but I should know that.

Joe

Composite is yellow video plus the red/white RCA audio connectors. Component is red/green/blue plus audio (either red/white for stereo, or optical/digital coax for DD 5.1). Component delivers HD resolution, composite does not.

Forget buying a new motherboard, your receiver ID is hard coded on the board. If you put your hard drive on a board with a different receiver ID it will be formatted on first boot up.

If your board has failed, call and get a replacement receiver. They will only charge $20 for shipping, no contract change.

You will lose the recordings, no way around it.

Composite is yellow video plus the red/white RCA audio connectors. Component is red/green/blue plus audio (either red/white for stereo, or optical/digital coax for DD 5.1). Component delivers HD resolution, composite does not.

Ah,
I have worked with that but never knew what it was called.
And there has been the progression from just the round dish to a TV with maybe a VCR and an OTA antenna to the array of receivers, dishes and wireless installations. The days of handing the customer the book & remote are gone. Establishing the signal is just the beginning of the work.

Thanks,

Joe

I notice we haven't heard back from the OP. Whenever I hear "component or composite outputs don't work" and "slingbox" in the same post, I start thinking about HDCP issues.

I notice we haven't heard back from the OP. Whenever I hear "component or composite outputs don't work" and "slingbox" in the same post, I start thinking about HDCP issues.
I figured that to be the culprit also, when I first saw this.

Some refuse to be educated about this stuff. In turn they blame the equipment or provider.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)