Compression on SiriusXM.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
For those who find Sirius from Dish sounds compressed, you might want to check your audio settings.

Make sure you have the following settings for best audio quality:
-Volume leveling: Disable (Enable compresses the dynamic range)
-Decoder: Dolby Digital/PCM (PCM-only downconverts to lower audio quality stereo PCM)
-Mode: Line (RF compresses the dynamic range)

Sirius on Dish > Sirius in Car/Receiver > XM Anywhere > XM in Car

where > means "is better than"

I know that Sirius & XM have 'merged' but the underlying technology is still separate... Your new GM car says "SiriusXM" but it's getting the signal from the XM satellites. Same thing with Ford.. You're getting the Sirius signal.

Sirius on Dish > Sirius in Car/Receiver > XM Anywhere > XM in Car

where > means "is better than"

I know that Sirius & XM have 'merged' but the underlying technology is still separate... Your new GM car says "SiriusXM" but it's getting the signal from the XM satellites. Same thing with Ford.. You're getting the Sirius signal.

Where did you get that idea?

Where did you get that idea?
Where did he get what idea? That Sirius and XM use different technology? Because it's true.

Now, as to whether Sirius is ">" XM, that's probably debatable. Before the merger, I know from experience that XM had better audio quality, as well as better coverage. I do not know if it's still the case. (I also preferred XM's lack of annoying DJ's and station ID's. It was so nice to have music-only. I miss that so much.)

The former Sirius and XM companies had different codecs, different sound. At one point Sirius had a slightly better - crisper - sound, then XM changed their codecs and sounded a little better to me. Tough call because I heard the Sirius often but in another car than mine.
XM from Dish sounds better without a doubt. If not, then as Garypen said you have something wrong somewhere. I'm not sure that it is even a debate. I used to bring in my XM receiver using the home kit, used the same audio receiver and speakers, and while the XM receiver sounded better inside, coming from Dish sounds even better, better separation, better highs.

I listened to quite a few songs today on my home stereo, when I put my ear close to a speaker you could hear that "running water" sound of compressed music.

I think dish should nix SiriusXM and go with a better setup like SonicTap.

I listened to quite a few songs today on my home stereo, when I put my ear close to a speaker you could hear that "running water" sound of compressed music.

Not so sure the folks over at Directv would agree with you there. Also, most of us don't listen to music with our ears up against our speakers.

Also, most of us don't listen to music with our ears up against our speakers.

maybe back in the 70's but not now

But again he is comparing picture quality on a 20" TV so maybe the speakers he has are those powered computer ones ;)

As the pot gets stirred.......

Like others have said, it sounds fine on my Onkyo receiver and 5.1 setup. The audiophiles over at AVSforum will tell you never to use pro logic with music though. If it's a 5.1 recording great but if not just leave it in 2.0 stereo mode. The base management in your receiver will still send everything below your crossover setting to your subwoofer if you're worried about base.

All that being said I hardly ever use the SirusXM channels. My mom likes them over at her house while she is working but between AirPlay to my Apple TV and DLNA, Pandora, and just about every other Internet radio streaming service built into my Onkyo receiver I don't have much use for SirusXM. I think the last time we used it was for the Christmas channel during our holiday parties last year. It is much easier to get music tailored to exactly what you want at any given time with those other options I mentioned. If they added the talk channels to Dish I would be all in though.

The audiophiles over at AVSforum will tell you never to use pro logic with music though. If it's a 5.1 recording great but if not just leave it in 2.0 stereo mode. The base management in your receiver will still send everything below your crossover setting to your subwoofer if you're worried about base.

I totally agree with that.

If they added the talk channels to Dish I would be all in though.

Would really like that too.....

Anyone here listen to sports radio, especially local? Ever notice how good they are at creating a controversy when there really isn't one? That's this thread.

Like others have said, it sounds fine on my Onkyo receiver and 5.1 setup. The audiophiles over at AVSforum will tell you never to use pro logic with music though. If it's a 5.1 recording great but if not just leave it in 2.0 stereo mode. The base management in your receiver will still send everything below your crossover setting to your subwoofer if you're worried about base.
"Bass"

I beg to disagree. I'd prefer SiriusXM over Soniccrap anyday
I agree Iceberg, that was my only dissappointment switching to Direct, losing Sirius/XM... But I signed up for the internet
listen subscription, so my dissappointment didn't last long. :D

I would hurl with a service like Sonic Tap. I was one of the biggest pain in the butts to the Directv guys when Directv dumped SiriusXM. As for it being watery. If you need to put your ears to the radio to hear it, then you are just trying to find an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)