CompUSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to have ComputerCity which was run by theguys who own Radio Shack I believe.... They closed after a couple of years and then CompUSA filled the void. No big box retailer left now if you need business level equipment. Best Buy has their Best Buy for Business program but it is online only and the pricing is just merely OK.

Funny, since the CompUSA only opened in Brick about 3 years ago. That space is jinxed. Nobody beats the Wiz (they did), and now Comp USA. Let's see who jumps into that space now....

An overly expensive store / chain that this doesnt surprise me in the least that they are restructuring and closing stores. For instance if I found an nvidia 8800 gtx there for $400 I could go to BB, CC, newegg, TD, or any other computer parts dealer and get it for $15 - $30 less if not more.

I remember Computer City, they had good prices and about %80 of Comp usa's selection, it was to bad that they closed because the one near where I used to live was always busy.

Rockville and Gaithersburg, those are mine. Adios! Shame, I did purchase there regularly.

Yea, I was just at Comp usa in Troy on Sautrday, saw 10% off everywhere but didn't realize they where closing till I saw the sign advertising the store fixtures!

There is a Microcenter right around the corner from the Comp USA and I origionally thought that was why they where closing.

I actually like microcenter better, but for the past few weeks its been a royal pain in the ass to get an associate there to help me find something!

I usually go either to Comp USA or Microcenter every weekend, which is around 14 mile and I 75 right in the madison heights/ Troy area!

Yep, we have a MicroCenter also. MUCH better. And far larger than the CompUSA stores around here.

Yep, we have a MicroCenter also. MUCH better. And far larger than the CompUSA stores around here.
I used to visit the Fairfax MicroCenter regularly when I lived in the area. Unfortunately, none are near me now. Fry's is my best option, but the nearest one requires a special trip.

AH- but I hear we should all one day make the pilgrimage to Fry's.

Are they really that great?

AH- but I hear we should all one day make the pilgrimage to Fry's.

Are they really that great?
The main appeal of Fry's isn't necessarily price. Its specials are always good value, but other stores often meet/beat them.

The big deal about Fry's is product selection. It carries more choices in all types of electronic goods than I've seen in any other store. It covers the waterfront from individual basic electronic components to finished consumer products. I recommend that you make the pilgrimage if you get close to one.

The one nearest me has about 70 checkout positions and uses them all during busy periods...

Last edited:
Whats the deal with Fry's even at CES the mecca of Electronics shows you hear all the geeks on the floor saying they can't wait to go to Fry's.

Whats so special about Fry's

Yea, I was just at Comp usa in Troy on Sautrday, saw 10% off everywhere but didn't realize they where closing till I saw the sign advertising the store fixtures!

There is a Microcenter right around the corner from the Comp USA and I origionally thought that was why they where closing.

I actually like microcenter better, but for the past few weeks its been a royal pain in the ass to get an associate there to help me find something!

I usually go either to Comp USA or Microcenter every weekend, which is around 14 mile and I 75 right in the madison heights/ Troy area!

That is the one I go too. I actually bought my imac from them around Thanksgiving. Nice guys in the computer section. It sucks that they lose their jobs.

Whats the deal with Fry's even at CES the mecca of Electronics shows you hear all the geeks on the floor saying they can't wait to go to Fry's.

Whats so special about Fry's

I don't know either. The closest one to me is in Indianapolis, IN and that is about 5 or 6 hours away.

No surprise inCOMPetentUSA is closing both Columbus stores. Microcenter closed their Westerville location a year ago because it was so small. It still had double the sales of COMPunistUSA Easton which is 3 times the size.

I went to FRY's in Indy when I went to CEDIA in Indy, what a great store! It's like a candy store for electronics geeks.

Hopefully FRY's will come to the east side of Columbus since Microcenter abonded that side of town and with the closure of the worst return policy stores in town.

"Whats so special about Fry's"

Once you walk into one of the store, you'll find out by yourself. Digital Dude said it perfectly, "it's like a candy store for electronics geeks."

I don't like going there too much because I spend too much money and time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)