CompUSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The deals last weekend at the store in Brick, NJ were just OK. 5% off on computers, 10% off on other hardware like printers. 20% off on cables and such. Got 10% off on some XBox360 accessories and a game (World Series of Poker was $25) The best find was two 1600 point marketplace point cards...... 10% off made them cost $2 less than over the console AND I got my Rewards points from Amex to boot....

I knew CompUSA was in trouble when they started developing their TV departments. They had about 20 setup, but nobody working the department. I needed to purchase a DSL modem, but they didn't carry them. Ended up buying the DSL Modem at.......Fry's.

If you're in the Las Vegas Fry's, do check out the Bose theater room.

I've always felt that they were mainly for apartment dwellers for whom space was a premium and price was no object. Otherwise there is much better equipment out there at much lower price points....

The exception is their headphones. I did "overpay" for them since they are perfect for plane travel, as they block out noise extremely well.. (I use the QuietComfort 2 head phones...)

I love fry's Fortunate to hav 2 fry's within 25 miles of me ..... and I don't LIVE Near a City! Best allaround electronic store i've been to & the TV displays put others To shame! ( dark areas to see tv real/unreal potential ) over 100 registers at one store
(a major plus ,even when there's only 15 to 20), with a Couple of HUGE safes, Nice Fancy Store with lots of deals all the tiime!Think, CompUSA,Circuit city, BB & RadioShack Combined!

Anything I'd buy at Fry's I can usually find online for cheaper and avoid sales tax. The only time I ever go in there is if I need something right away.

I love fry's Fortunate to hav 2 fry's within 25 miles of me ..... and I don't LIVE Near a City! Best allaround electronic store i've been to & the TV displays put others To shame! ( dark areas to see tv real/unreal potential ) over 100 registers at one store
(a major plus ,even when there's only 15 to 20), with a Couple of HUGE safes, Nice Fancy Store with lots of deals all the tiime!Think, CompUSA,Circuit city, BB & RadioShack Combined!

I am so jealous. 2 Fry's in 25 miles! That would be my definition of heaven. ;)

The problem is that not ALL the stores are closing (like The Wiz did a few years back). Any unsold inventory can merely be diverted to the other remaining outlets. 20% of their list price may be the best you can expect on many items.... Not a "fire sale" by any means....

Last edited:
I see that CompUSA is going bye bye...

Computer and electronics retailer CompUSA announced on Friday that it would start winding down its retail operations after being acquired by an investment firm, which is looking to sell the company's business and assets.

The retail stores that don't sell will be shut down, CompUSA said in a statement. The 103 stores will remain open during the holiday shopping season and provide heavy discounts on products.

Washington Post article here (subscription required).

Last edited:
I stopped shopping at CompUsa a few months ago when I bought a hard drive on their web site to pickup at the store. I think it was a 500GB for around $200. When I went to pick it up, the store said it was $399 - more expensive than anywhere I've seen. The store manager wouldn't budge or honor what my online receipt said I had paid for it. I refused to pay the $399 and they cancelled my order. I went next door and Circuit City had the drive cheaper than $200.

comp usa bites the dust......

since they were bought by investors perhaps they will remain in business as a on line company only?

no loss i never liked them

comp usa bites the dust......

since they were bought by investors perhaps they will remain in business as a on line company only?

no loss i never liked them

I hear ya bob, but competition is good for the consumer and if you don't live near a frys then they were the only store that you could probably find what you needed on the fly. I know the BB and CC carry some, but they just don' have the floor space for display. I for one will miss Compusa to some degree, but that's the way it goes. The computer/electronics business is tough. I don't know how fry's is able to do what it does so well especially when your competing with the internet (newegg, zipzoomfly).

Thanks for the post, AllieVi, I'd missed that final shutdown story.

We don't have Fry's around here, but we do have MicroCenter.

wow.. only 2 closing in florida.. thats a supprise since no one I know goes to them.. they're over priced on everything.. the return policy is basically this, if there's a 1% chance you're going to return the item, don't buy it from them.. they did try to save themselves by switching to tv's but it was a jump the shark move..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)