computers

chadzx11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
memphis
What kind of computers are you guys seeing out in the field? Nearly everytime I encounter a customer, they complain about speed. My wife was riding shotgun and quickly formed the opinion that VSAT was crap.

My take (and I told her this) is that the service can only be percieved as good as the machine connected to it, and that a lot of people probably had junker computers. Hell, we all know they get junker tvs hooked up to satellite.

I did have one customer who was adament that I look at her PC. It was slow as crap, while her son's (new) laptop ran great. She showed me the machine. It was a gateway 2000 that came OEM with windows 98. They pimped it out with 1 gig + windows XP. No sh*t it was slow. :eek: OTOH, it is a testament that the mobo survived 10 years, when I wasted a BFG mobo in about one year. I didn't even hot rod it. It just croaked. :(

I see a lot of dell machines... and a LOT of HP Pavillions... you know, Walmart special probably.
I carry my laptop, so if I have a customer complaining about speed, and it is their computer junked up... I hook up my laptop and show them how the system can run, on a decent machine,

Most average person don't really know how to utilize a good computers performance either. About 80% of the computers I see are junk, but when I do see the occasional premium machine they have so much crap on it the system runs just as slow as the junk computers. Most people don't know when they install hardware and software most of that automatically runs at startup and most of it is not needed unless using that specific program. Another thing is people believe they need all the protection from spyware, antivirius programs, popup blockers etc. to keep their systems running smoothly. Most don't update the software and don't know there is a way around all that crap. 3 things Mozilla Firefox, a good firewall, and Hijack this. Its all I have on my computers and I never have a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts