Concerned about my 722

silvanthalas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
USA
My wife went to watch something that was to have recorded earlier today.

But when she went to display My Recordings, it showed 0 recording available, when there should have been a couple of dozen total. And yet, the hours of recording time left displayed correctly.

In checking the upcoming events, it still showed the event from earlier today, which it never recorded.

To test further, I started recording the current channel. After a couple of minutes, I went to stop the recording, but nothing happened. Eventually, I flipped to another channel and starting to record that one. Only, instead of recording, it finally stopped the first one. Either way, that test recording failed to show up in My Recordings.

So, at this point, I just did a hard reboot of my 722. Once that finished, My Recordings displayed again, but the first couple of times I went to check my Schedule, it failed to load and gave me an error message.

Should I be concerned about the continued viability of my 722? Or is this perhaps a one-time thing?

Every couple of minutes I find myself having to do a hard reboot for something or another, but I've never had it fail to display my recordings.

concerned with 722

Go to, menu-->system set up--> installation--> system info

then hit the "details" button and scroll down to where you see the "values". If any of those values are above 10, then your receiver should be replaced.

I am a Dish Network technician, and this is what dish technical support often has me check to determine whether the receiver should be replaced or not.

If none of those values are above 10, it doesn't mean that your receiver is not faulty.

hope this helps.. let me know

You may be able to get your receiver replaced for free.

I hope you know:
Soft reboot = hold front-panel power button for 10 seconds,
Hard reboot = pull power cord for 20 seconds.
You may have trouble getting the guide and thus recording after a reboot. If so, soft reboot, again.
Sometimes you can force up a 8-day guide, not the 2-program one, by move to the end of guide.
-Ken

The Values came in at mostly 0's, with Value 7 being -2, and Value 8 being 1.

And yeah, by the rebooting, I meant holding the power button.

I guess I'll keep a closer eye on it and hope there are no more problems with it.

Just a 722.

And now it appears the device is dead.

I went to watch something earlier, and was skipping ahead through the first couple of minutes and it locked up. I did a soft reboot, and it came up, although it recommended doing a hard reboot. So I did that.

After that reboot, it was working ok. I decided to try watching something else, while getting some backups done. I had to step away, so I paused the recording. Eventually, it gave an error message that the backup had failed, and then it locked up again. The screen went blank and the only thing I can get is the whirring noise from the hardware.

I've tried several hard reboots, and all I'm greeted with is the whirring noise.

Terrific.

what error message are you getting?
if the message says something about dvr functionality that 'may affect your ability to pause and record', then your hard drive has flaked out. have the box replaced.

Yeah, that was the message I got.

I was hoping I'd have enough time to get a couple more things backed up. Now my wife is going to miss something she really wanted recorded tomorrow, at the very least. Ugh.

right. if you have that message and a reboot didnt fix it, then it is a real error : hard drive failure. read the message number to the csr over the phone when you call in and they will know right away.

The DVR shut down on its own awhile ago, but the tech was able to sort it out and they're sending a replacement.

Thanks for the help.