ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
To DishNetwork install Technicians:

I'm sure you've run into it countless times before. I know I have. The customer is in a high-end condo/apartment that doesn't allow ANY cable run ANYwhere, and absolutely no wall penetrations. The whole place was pre-wired for every location, except the junction is outside behind a steel lock box. The job could be done in an hour, if only you had access to that junction. But you don't. So you are forced to turn down the installation.

Any thoughts on methods to access these junctions? Keys? Tools?

Or any comments on the legality? Does the cable in the condo/apartment BELONG to the local cable company, or does it belong to the condo/apartement owner?

Last edited:
What you need to do is find out where the cables go before they enter the box and splice into it there.

For example, usually the cables will run through the attic or through a basement before going to the lock box.

If you attempt to go in the lock box its self, then your asking for a service call everytime the cable company comes out to either connect or disconnect a customer in the complex because they will purposely disconnect the satellite to your customer.

I had one apartment complex that they did this to me 3 days in a row, and I had to do 3 service calls.

The third day I got the point that they did not want my wiring in their box, so I ran a new cable inside the customers apartment.

After I left, I disconnected all 75 customers in the apartment complex and removed all the tags to identify which line belonged to which customer :D

depending on the lock that is there I might just cut the lock off and call it a day bolt cutters work great, I went one step farther and cut the connectors off the cable but the next day I was called into the office and told not to do that a again the cable company want us to pay for the service call.

Last edited:
Claude Greiner said:
What you need to do is find out where the cables go before they enter the box and splice into it there.

For example, usually the cables will run through the attic or through a basement before going to the lock box.

If you attempt to go in the lock box its self, then your asking for a service call everytime the cable company comes out to either connect or disconnect a customer in the complex because they will purposely disconnect the satellite to your customer.

I had one apartment complex that they did this to me 3 days in a row, and I had to do 3 service calls.

The third day I got the point that they did not want my wiring in their box, so I ran a new cable inside the customers apartment.

After I left, I disconnected all 75 customers in the apartment complex and removed all the tags to identify which line belonged to which customer :D

Way to go, Claude. I do the same.

I had a Charter cable guy cut out 3 foot sections of my cabling one day cuz he was mad at my company for "stealing" so many of his customers. When I got a call the next day that my customer lost all signal from the dish I was shocked to see what he did, I drove over to Charter cable and got the manager to come see what was done, after seeing the damage he made the guy who did the damage replace all my cables and connections and then pay me my service call cost of 50.00. I do not know if he still works there but have not seen him since.

"After I left, I disconnected all 75 customers in the apartment complex and removed all the tags to identify which line belonged to which customer "

Man, that's evil. LOL, I would've done the same thing.

The company I work for almost exclusivly handles commercial contractrs with appartments and condos. Dealing with the local cable company has to be _THE_ most painful thing i do on almost a dialy basis.

We still have not figured out a good way to handle it.
THe thing to keep in mind - The cable company does not own the wire unless they ran it, and even then, only if they have an exclusive right of entry contract with the building. Without such a contract, once the wire is in place it becomes the property of the builing/condo owner.

Nice feedback

Excellent. Now I know what to ask for if anyone says I can't use that cabling: an "exclusive right of entry contract". :D

I've only had one such situation so far. It was in an 8 story hotel, where I had to install the dish on the roof, and drop it 2 stories to the telecommunications closet. From there I was able hook up the customer no problem. But I get a trouble call 10 days later. Someone had disconnected the customer completely from my lines comming in and hooked them up to a big cable splitter. I told the customer what had happened. Honestly, I could do jobs like that ALL DAY LONG if I get paid for each one. I don't really care. But the customer is going to get charged if Dish keeps having to pay for TC's that are 'customer caused'. They have cameras all over that place and knowing how anal this customer was he'll have that cable guy's name, social security number, home address, and personal cell number before long.

Not that I advocate such behavior, but if you know what type of lock your local cable company is using (guessing TWC, your case) then Ebay is a good place to start looking for the "star-key". If I gave out more info, I'm sure I'll get the "no hack talk" speach. LOL

The cable co put a star key bolt onto the box the condo builder installed. This is 6 months after the condos were built. A small pair of vice grips and some patience was all it took to loosen the bolt. I took exception to the cable co locking property of the condo association (of which I was a member), preventing those of us who chose satellite for our TV viewing pleasure. Being stubborn, and also a mechanical type, would have spared no effort to remove the bolt.

I did put the bolt back in after I was done. I just didn't tighten it with the star key. I think it kept everybody happy that way.

Miner said:
The cable co put a star key bolt onto the box the condo builder installed. This is 6 months after the condos were built. A small pair of vice grips and some patience was all it took to loosen the bolt. I took exception to the cable co locking property of the condo association (of which I was a member), preventing those of us who chose satellite for our TV viewing pleasure. Being stubborn, and also a mechanical type, would have spared no effort to remove the bolt.

I did put the bolt back in after I was done. I just didn't tighten it with the star key. I think it kept everybody happy that way.

Why improvise?

As a dealer or contractor, you can buy any key to any of these boxes that you may want at: www.budcocable.com/

I have several types.

I also have a kit with bits that fit almost every type of secirity screw head made.

Mike500 said:
Way to go, Claude. I do the same.

I think everyone would do the same, i know i would. cut them all off, cut the connectors off, cut the tags off, or mix them up if it was possable. reseal the box, and screw in on all 4 sides screws that takes a very hard to get tool to unscrew. but of course thats just the evil side of me :devil: :eureka :idea:

RIRWIN1983 said:
I think everyone would do the same, i know i would. cut them all off, cut the connectors off, cut the tags off, or mix them up if it was possable. reseal the box, and screw in on all 4 sides screws that takes a very hard to get tool to unscrew. but of course thats just the evil side of me :devil: :eureka :idea:

I'm right there with ya

Screw me & I'll screw you 100x worse :up

Next time rivet the box shut or weld it shut

Budco cable is the place to get the security tools. The terminators can be removed by drilling out the center. Just use a bit just small enough to fit inside the middle and drill until the thing backs off when you put the drill in reverse. It will take a few minutes.

Mike500 said:
Why improvise?

As a dealer or contractor, you can buy any key to any of these boxes that you may want at: www.budcocable.com/

I have several types.

I also have a kit with bits that fit almost every type of secirity screw head made.

You seem knowledgeable about the cable boxes, so I'll ask you about this. I come across a lock in the TWC system that I don't have the key for and have never seen available. Of course the cable company won't help me out. Anyway, it looks a little like the picture below. it is round with a raised nut in the middle and pin holes around the circle. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    2 KB · Views: 487
I did an install for a friend, the box at his condo wasn't even locked because the local cable co has been getting a lot of heat for keeping us out of it. After I hooked up his 625.. after the first time the cable co disconnected, we went and put the collars on our coax like the ones used on hotel room cable boxes. Now we will see if the charter guy is resoursfull enough to screw with us now.

shoneybear said:
You seem knowledgeable about the cable boxes, so I'll ask you about this. I come across a lock in the TWC system that I don't have the key for and have never seen available. Of course the cable company won't help me out. Anyway, it looks a little like the picture below. it is round with a raised nut in the middle and pin holes around the circle. Any help would be appreciated.

That diagram looks similar to a "Red Dot".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts