Condo Install Advice for a Noob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

actorguy1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Mass.
My situation is a little different. My deck at my condo faces east into some trees. I am in an end unit. Standing on my deck if I turn to the right(south) there is a small open grass area and then the next building. To get a good southwest view would I need to mount a pole on the deck that clears the roof two stories above? Or can the dish be mounted on the right(south) side of the deck facing the open grass area at an angle to try and catch a southwest view? Or is a ground mounting (provided the HOA approves it) back behind the condo with a clear view of southwest the only option? Thanks for any input. Ask me for more details if needed.

what exactly is an invisible install? I thought most condos (I havent seen this condos rules and regs yet) demand you can only mount it on a deck or patio

actorguy,

There is a federal law about where you can erect your dish......if it is on your controlled area you can tell them to pound sand. It is more complicated than that but anyhow...

Know that the system will work through windows, not tinted windows or screens but regular glass.
I have rigged a few this way as a last resort. What direction do your windows face?

Good luck,

Joe

Zip code in Ma would be very helpful. What equipment are you considering? Are you on the ground floor and have 2 stories above you or are you above ground level with 2 stories above you? Get a copy of the rules from the HOA, usually the exterrior of the building is owned by the HOA and you can't use it. If you are planning on HDTV investigate what the local cable company has to offer. The satellite at 119 is well to the West and a very low look angle, probably invisible from your East facing patio.

What I was thinking is (and I have not consulted the HOA yet) there is a gravel area underneath the second floor deck where the AC unit is. Possibly a ground mounted dish could work there. It would have a view directly to the south behind the other units or southwest into the smallish open courtyard between our building and the next building. We are the end unit. I am looking for HDTV. Comcast offers about 6 HD stations ontop of the locals for $11.99 per tv. Not a real consideration. If I am forced to go with them I will stick with basic cable and pick up the OTA HD thru QAM or Antenna. All three stories are ours if that makes a difference.

P.S. Zip code is 01852

Thanks for any advice.

what exactly is an invisible install?

That’s just my sarcastic way of saying that they don’t like to see the dish or any wires. Don’t take it for gospel but I think to work through a window it also needs to single pane(not to be confused with signal pain).

For 119 the furthest West satellite you will need to see the Azimuth is 254 degrees and the elevation is only 22 degrees. Get the compass and inclinometer out and start checking.

Thanks for the info. However I am still a noob at all this sat. postion math so, first I will make sure I have clearance from the HOA to put it where I think it will be out of the way and then set up and install appointment.

Another basic,

Remember that CATV means Community Antenna TV. Consider a HOA owned dish antenna location.
Get bids from MDU (Multi Dweller Unit) contractors. If the HOA owns the UG cable serving the units now, the DTV and DISH feed could be offered on the same lines. Try talking to your neighbors.

Boba is probably correct about the 22 degree elevation for Maine. It is 32 here in MD. To hit 22 degrees you gotta think roof mount or antenna mast.

Be nice to the local cable company.

Joe

My Neighbors in Lowell MA, (the condos in the development next to mine, their deck faces mine have dishes on their first floor decks, I checked today. So there is hope

I'd definately get with the HOA before doing anything. You don't want to make waves as a new owner, even though the FCC ruling about dishes is in your favor. Then I would have an installer come out for a site survey, to find the best possible installation point.

Just my $.02

I now have verbal ok from Association. (it is new development so they said as long as it is not too visable, it should not be an issue. While I do know my rights as far as FCC goes I would also prefer and unobtrusive install) Judging roughly from the azimuth computation I got and roughly estimating the exposure I have( I have about 180 degree exposure and I would say, 225 degrees to about 260 degrees exposure with a clear view of the sky) I hopefully can get LOS for a 5LNB. My insall is next week, I can't wait to say goodbye to Comcast(at least for cable) Keeping my fingers crossed. If anyone has any input it would be aprecieated.

Again my Zip is 01851 in Lowell MA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts