Status
Please reply by conversation.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
Humax USA will incorporate Conexant Systems Inc.’s satellite set-top solution into a new liquid-crystal-display television featuring an integrated DirecTV Inc. receiver.

The manufacturer said its 20-inch “LD2060” will enable subscribers to access DirecTV direct-broadcast satellite programming through a "plug-and-play" coaxial cable, eliminating the need for a separate set-top.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6333579.html

I am not shooting the messenger! Just the story.

Who wants to watch TV on a 20"? Heck my 5yo has a 19" that was $60 at Target (they don't need LCDs) and my 10yo has a 26" that was cheaper than this thing and it has a wonderfull picture with a DVD player built-in.

Anything under 26" in this day & age is pure regression.

Integration is also crap, too much risk of losing both if one piece goes out and at $699 MSRP this is a JOKE; even for under counter apps!

I thought the same when I was reading it. I can understand a 32" or bigger. What a waste of time and money on this project.

You said brother! The regression is just astounding. Suckering in buyers that think $699 or more for a TV just because its"flat" is a great deal. These things should be $199 at best. They need a law that says 25" or less is outlawed.

In addition to kitchens, bedrooms, home offices, and a variety of second room applications, the LD2060 is also the ideal solution for any apartment or condominium, as well as numerous commercial applications such as a corporate reception area or employee cafeteria, health and fitness clubs, restaurants, bars, nightclubs and more.

What a Joke. :rolleyes:

How would you like to watch the super bowl on that next year. :D :D :D

"The LD2060 is a product that connects with consumers and reduces the risk of churn, which advanced products are known to do. "

I love how they added this also.

"reduces the risk of churn" in other words you will be more likely to keep the service once you are suckered into spending that extra money for it. :rolleyes:

Exactly! Sad you would need binoculars to watch a sporting event on this thing. Like I said, 20" belongs in a small child's room or maybe the kitchen but who wants to lay out $699 for an LCD in those environments.

So your saying you would rather your favorite sports bar display your sports on a 20" at 3' away rather than on a 60" or larger 15' - 25' away?

With a resolution of 640X480 who would want it? Aspect ratio 4:3 contrast ratio 500:1, pixel response 16ms. AV Inputs 2 composite, 1 component, audio 3 phonoL/R.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
So your saying you would rather your favorite sports bar display your sports on a 20" at 3' away rather than on a 60" or larger 15' - 25' away?

proper viewing distance is 3x diagonal (from my old art class), so yes, 20" at 3' is better than 60" at 25'

What a waste of time and engineering. Why not spend more time putting out more HD equipment, like the mpeg4 dvr that was supposed to be out 1st quarter of this year.:down

Crystal Pepsi Ball said:
Would anyone get this equipment if it had a DVR? HD? HD-DVR?
At that point it would get my attention. But they would need to keep it at $699 with an integrated HD-DVR.

I have no non-dvr boxes in my house and don't plan to start just because they packaged a tuner in an LCD.

Perhaps the emphasis is on the wrong thing with this product. Maybe it would be better to develop a line of TVs (plasma, LCD, whatever) to which an optional module can be added by the consumer based on viewing preferences. If the consumer prefers cable, a module which can take a CableCARD could be added. If the consumer prefers DirecTV, the DirecTV module could be added. It could even include a DVR by adding a hard drive. All of the software would reside in the set, the module would only contain what was necessary to tune the signal and for conditional access. It would be even better if the interface for the module were some sort of industry standard, like a PCI bus on a computer. The FCC could make it happen if there was enough interest.

Status
Please reply by conversation.