Configuration Question: Split-Screen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mgoblue99

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Hi. I'm getting DirecTV installed next week, and would like to know if it's possible to do a split-screen with DirecTV.

My TV is a 60" Panasonic. With cable, I use a splitter and can watch multiple inputs at once, half and half. Is this possible with DirecTV, since my HD DVR will be dual tuner? If so, what do I need to configure it properly?

Thanks!

Hi. I'm getting DirecTV installed next week, and would like to know if it's possible to do a split-screen with DirecTV.

My TV is a 60" Panasonic. With cable, I use a splitter and can watch multiple inputs at once, half and half. Is this possible with DirecTV, since my HD DVR will be dual tuner? If so, what do I need to configure it properly?

Thanks!

There is only one output from the Directv dvrs, so you can't do it unless you have a second video source.

The split screen is more a function of the TV, not D* receivers. If you have an OTA source, you can split that before it goes into the D* receiver and have an OTA PIP/POP/Spilt Scren on one side and a single D* channel displayed in the other window/side of the screen.

The split screen is more a function of the TV, not D* receivers. If you have an OTA source, you can split that before it goes into the D* receiver and have an OTA PIP/POP/Spilt Scren on one side and a single D* channel displayed in the other window/side of the screen.

Yup, thats what I do, split the OTA and run one into the box and the other into the rec. :up
Works great !

Also, IF you had more than one D* rec. you could actually have them both set up and run the split screen , one from each rec., but as mentioned earlier, the dual tuners for the HR20 are all designed for internal use.

Jimbo

The split screen is more a function of the TV, not D* receivers.
Split screen and PIP are entirely a function of the receiver and the HR2x series receivers can't do it. If you have two receivers hooked up to your TV and enough distinct inputs, you can use your TV to do split/PIP.

Split screen and PIP are entirely a function of the receiver and the HR2x series receivers can't do it. If you have two receivers hooked up to your TV and enough distinct inputs, you can use your TV to do split/PIP.

Maybe I should have made my statement more definitive: D* receivers do not have the ability (as a single box) to do split screen. However, if you have a TV that has PIP/POP/SpiltScreen capabilities, you can do so with multiple inputs. As stated above by myself and Jimbo, we use a plitter on our OTA (or even my clear channel cable input) to use the TV's built-in split screen (PIP or POP) functions.

IIRC, the E* receivers had a PIP/POP function built-in...D* does not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)