CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

i still dont get why people think that dish has any obligation to make sure they retain a customer who is costing them more money then its worth by not ending absolute. its not good business to keep selling a non-profitable product.

dish not only has to satisfy customers, they also have to satisfy the stockholders. stockholders would rather see the company make more money then to lose money by letting self entitled people keep their precious hd absolute.

Because it's standard practice among businesses. Many absolute customers probably use the savings to add things like premiums or dual-tuner to their account. Now, if they jump ship the shareholders will be less happy since E* will lose subs.

well here's the thing DK, i too was in a grandfathered package with D*. so 3 months ago they offered 3 months free of the HD extra pack. i went to remove it a few days ago and guess what buddy? D told me if i wanted to remove the HD extra pack i had to upgrade to the newer programming packages........ So i agreed. They gave me no choice and was surprised that they would've tricked me this way to force me to upgrade to the newer packages. what is helping me is that they did give me free HD for 24 months. so it evened out for now. if not for that i would be paying about $10 more a month :(. its not only dish with this BS. :)
That is because you change programming, even an add on.

This is weird because I dropped and added the HD extra pack several times, every time they offer it free for 3 months, and they never changed my grandfathered package

That is because you change programming, even an add on.

This is weird because I dropped and added the HD extra pack several times, every time they offer it free for 3 months, and they never changed my grandfathered package
i understand but they left that part out when i added the HD pack 3 months ago ;). just goes to show that all providers have their issues. i tried to get out of it but D* said no way. hopefully you wont have to deal with this in the near future. your package i believe is even older than the one i had......

yaz96 said:
Is Dish purposefully trying to piss off their long time customers??

What in the hell is going on?

Scott, can you inform Charlie of this mini-revolution by his (formerly) loyal subs that is going on? A little email to him or something.

Does he even care?
Scott Greczkowski said:
How do you propose that he make programmers keep their hd channels in this package?

That's the issue he it's not Charlie wanting to piss people off.
Here's food for thought...

One company pulled their HD channels because Dish Network didn't want to pay for them. Those channels were in Absolute.

After Dish Network SUED this provider because Dish Network felt the provider wasn't living up to the terms of the carriage contract, this provider countersued and won the case completely. The judgment stated the current carriage contract does not apply to these channels.

So it appears there were four channels in Absolute that should have never been there. And maybe other providers believe their channels shouldn't be there, either, but haven't bothered going to court to enforce the terms of their agreement.

Maybe Absolute, as it was configured, wasn't absolutely legal.

right now, dish is offering new customers $15 off for a year... is the "absolute ending" deal an additional $15 off? I really have my doubts about that. It seems, if the reported deals are accurate, that we are being offered the same deal as new subs, just no contract, and maybe the 6 months free platinum. What a rip.

For those that wanted to know what HD Absolute is/was:

This is what I get with the HDAbsolute package for 34.99 with locals:
  1. NHLN HD
  2. NBATV HD
  3. GOLF HD
  4. TENIS HD
  5. WFN HD
  6. MGN HD
  7. HDNMV HD
  8. EPIX2 HD
  9. EPIX1 HD
  10. RETRO HD
  11. INDIE HD
  12. SHRTS HD
  13. FTV HD
  14. LOGO HD
  15. CTRC HD
  16. PLDIA HD
  17. CI HD
  18. UNIHD
  19. HDTHR
  20. HDNET
  21. MAVTV HD
  22. EARTH
  23. CTN
  24. ANGL2
  25. CCNEW
  26. KTV
  27. ANGEL
  28. INSP
  29. WGN HD
  30. TRV HD
  31. TWC HD
  32. NASA
  33. CNBC HD
  34. CNN HD
  35. GREEN HD
  36. SCI HD
  37. HMC HD
  38. NTGEO HD
  39. APL HD
  40. TLC HD
  41. DISC HD
  42. ABCFM HD DROPPED
  43. TOON HD
  44. DISXD HD DROPPED
  45. DISE HD DROPPED
  46. SPIKE HD
  47. CMT HD
  48. NFLRZ SD
  49. NFL HD
  50. CBS C HD
  51. VS HD
  52. ESPN2 HD
  53. ESNWS HD
  54. ESPN HD
  55. TBS HD
  56. TNT HD
  57. BRAVO HD
  58. SYFY HD
  59. HIST HD
  60. BIO HD
  61. A&E HD
  62. HGTV HD
  63. FOOD HD
  64. LMN HD
  65. LIFE HD
  66. CMDY HD
  67. USA HD
  68. All of the PI channels in the 9400 block
*SD Channels

Cable card experience depends a lot on the cable company. But at my second home I have TiVo with cable card and it works great. The TiVo has worked great, never missing a recording. A lot better than I can say about my 922 which still misses 1-2 recordings a week.

My TIVO with comcast cable card is 100% rock solid, My 722s would occasonal spaz for no apparent reason, and NO MORE RAINFADE with cable.

True I didnt get it much but this spring had lots of violent storms and last winter we got so much snow I must of cleaned the dishes 15 times, once digging a path to reach 61.5 dish, the snow was higher than the dish, we had 3 foot with a 6 foot drift:(

Comcast ends all that, last winter was the snowiest one in pittsburghs history

One option for us Hd Absolute subs would be for Dish to create an HD Absolute+ package that includes the same programming as it does now, but adds in the SD channels.

Of course the price would go up, maybe 50% or more, but it would give us an option other than going to the AT packages which are poorly distributed (as far as good channels are concerned).

If Charlie is at the CMT taping in Nashville in 2 weeks I'll broach the subject to him.

Just wait

My TIVO with comcast cable card is 100% rock solid, My 722s would occasonal spaz for no apparent reason, and NO MORE RAINFADE with cable.

True I didnt get it much but this spring had lots of violent storms and last winter we got so much snow I must of cleaned the dishes 15 times, once digging a path to reach 61.5 dish, the snow was higher than the dish, we had 3 foot with a 6 foot drift:(

Comcast ends all that, last winter was the snowiest one in pittsburghs history

Just wait till they have a line amp go in your area. You'll find out how much fun having cable can be. At least if I lose cable I only lose the net & still have TV programming. BTW I've never out an outage on E* that lasted past the storm going thru. And yes where I live does get snow. In fact they had a 18" this winter ( A really bad one for here (it was that much at one time) but several inches several times. Enuff of this off topic though.

If you can believe what the lady who called me said, she said that there wasn't a contract.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that platinum HD add on that they're throwing in for 6 month is going to cost another $10 a month when that plays out.

The one that called me also said there was no contract required. Their offer isn't really bad. A quick check on ConCast or D* proved it was much better than anything the other 2 offer for my needs - especially equipment wise.

I know I'll drop the Platinum - I'm not a movie buff and if I was I'd just sign up for NetFlix.

Our biggest problem is trying to replace the channels we do want with a reasonably priced package. I watch VS a lot during the college football season but I'm not subscribing to the top package just for it. I'm sure others will be in the same boat since our current channels are spread all over the other packages.

The one that called me also said there was no contract required. Their offer isn't really bad. A quick check on ConCast or D* proved it was much better than anything the other 2 offer for my needs - especially equipment wise.

I know I'll drop the Platinum - I'm not a movie buff and if I was I'd just sign up for NetFlix.

Our biggest problem is trying to replace the channels we do want with a reasonably priced package. I watch VS a lot during the college football season but I'm not subscribing to the top package just for it. I'm sure others will be in the same boat since our current channels are spread all over the other packages.

Did you make the move off of absolute during that call or did they give you certain amount of time to decide?

Did you make the move off of absolute during that call or did they give you certain amount of time to decide?

I didn't do anything. They were pushing for a response this week which isn't going to happen. I won't even be home for over a week. I asked when they were going to cut it off for sure and they don't even have a timetable yet. Going to take a while to contact everyone and get a decision.

I didn't do anything. They were pushing for a response this week which isn't going to happen. I won't even be home for over a week. I asked when they were going to cut it off for sure and they don't even have a timetable yet. Going to take a while to contact everyone and get a decision.

28 pages and it still doesn't add up, only 2 people have got this call, no timetable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)