Confused about CE here...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satmeister

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Having just returned from some business travel....I had attempted to catch up with what is going on here with the CE program.

What I found is several closed threads ont he topic, several contradictory posts indicating the program at SatGuys is dead, or just fine (depending on which post you read).

This is all very confusing. :confused:

Having been a member here for many years, I am also disturbed by the tone of many of these posts on this topic - some border on hostile.

Why all the sudden drama and anxiety with the CE programs here? :confused:

What gives - why all the problems lately? :confused:

Having just returned from some business travel....I had attempted to catch up with what is going on here with the CE program.

What I found is several closed threads ont he topic, several contradictory posts indicating the program at SatGuys is dead, or just fine (depending on which post you read).

This is all very confusing. :confused:

Having been a member here for many years, I am also disturbed by the tone of many of these posts on this topic - some border on hostile.

Why all the sudden drama and anxiety with the CE programs here? :confused:

What gives - why all the problems lately? :confused:

Seeing Scott runs the place, I would go by what HE has to say.

Seems that the dbstalk guys are advertising that they are the 'exclusive home' of the CE program, and its been that way for several days. My guess is if that wasnt true, that directv would have asked them to change or remove that claim.

Looks like the guys that run this site were promised equal footing and access, and maybe they arent getting that.

Some other funny business around made up release notes at dbstalk the last couple of weeks raised some hackles. Then the "other guys" sent out first looks on unreleased products into a public area, even though they'll freak out if a member does that.

Its all sort of nutty. I dont bother posting at the "other site" because its run by people bred from hall monitors and directv marketing reps. It certainly has plenty of critical mass but what you can and cant say and do are just a little too silly.

Plus the "hold up three fingers and say the boy scout pledge and agree to give up your firstborn" pledge to join the CE forum was just too much.

Its just some test software. Anyone can download it, and we know when its there.

I'm going to go ahead and blame directv for this. Its their program and their rules. All of this seems very petty on everyones behalf.

So I think that from now on I'll download the CE when I want, not bother reporting any bugs and let directv find their own problems. From the looks of the way this is being handled, right now they couldnt find their own ass with both hands.

Seems that the dbstalk guys are advertising that they are the 'exclusive home' of the CE program, and its been that way for several days. My guess is if that wasnt true, that directv would have asked them to change or remove that claim.

Looks like the guys that run this site were promised equal footing and access, and maybe they arent getting that.

Some other funny business around made up release notes at dbstalk the last couple of weeks raised some hackles. Then the "other guys" sent out first looks on unreleased products into a public area, even though they'll freak out if a member does that.

Its all sort of nutty. I dont bother posting at the "other site" because its run by people bred from hall monitors and directv marketing reps. It certainly has plenty of critical mass but what you can and cant say and do are just a little too silly.

Plus the "hold up three fingers and say the boy scout pledge and agree to give up your firstborn" pledge to join the CE forum was just too much.

Its just some test software. Anyone can download it, and we know when its there.

I'm going to go ahead and blame directv for this. Its their program and their rules. All of this seems very petty on everyones behalf.

So I think that from now on I'll download the CE when I want, not bother reporting any bugs and let directv find their own problems. From the looks of the way this is being handled, right now they couldnt find their own ass with both hands.
Post of the day ! :)

That's kinda what I was talking about - at this site - I don't care about what goes on at another site.

This used to be a basic process and program, with enthusiasm and interesting information.

This kind of post points out the recent turn to sarcasm, criticism, and name-calling ---- kids stuff.

I just don't understand why things have to be this way here - can't the program be run without this kind of childish behavior - it was in the beginning.

If DirecTV indeed sees this kind of activity, I wouldn't be surprised if they shut things down - and everyone loses out if that happens.

Again....disturbing and confusing.

I hear what you're saying. I think the thing is that many of the people who participate here are folks who became dissatisfied with the "other site". Basically if you're a directv fanboy and agree that your hands need to be washed every 15-20 minutes right after closing a thread, the other site is satisfactory.

If you want more open and honest conversation about the product, and you'd like to be able to add to a thread you started the day before without finding it closed by a mod who decided the conversation was over...then you need other options.

I suspect directv is rewarding the favorable orientation of the other site with this move. That leaves those of us who dont care for the way they run things to blindly participate in the CE program, go to the other site for info, or for satguys to copy from their homework.

So what you have is some frustration and a feeling of abandonment and failure to follow through on an agreement layered on top of what was already a somewhat hostile and competitive situation.

We could all be vulcan-like and just putter along without a bad word. Eh, I dont roll that way.

I doubt Directv would terminate the CE program. It costs them nothing. They get plenty of free beta testing and wide audience testing for free. If anything blows up at the customer end, the customer has already agreed that they own all the risk.

I'd be a bit disappointed if they did kill it, but I'd get by.

That explains some of what I was asking. Thank you.

I guess I am disappointed at some of the bitterness posted here towards the other site - they have nothing to do with this one, so we could just operating on the high road here and do CE things without any reference or concern about "the other site".

If the CE program was executed here with reliability and cordial testing, I suspect whatever happens elsewhere would not come into play here.

Things started out here pretty well, as far as the CE program and related information. Then things seemed to get almost "competitive" regarding the other site. :confused:

I guess I just don't understand why what happens there has to impact what we do here. Shame on me.

I guess I am disappointed at some of the bitterness posted here towards the other site - they have nothing to do with this one, so we could just operating on the high road here and do CE things without any reference or concern about "the other site".
Actually and unfortunately it has a lot to do with it.

If you like doing the CE there then go there, but if you like the relaxed atmosphere here, then welcome home here at SatelliteGuys.

DirecTV is here more now then ever, and there is a good reason for it, we are America's Largest and Most popular satellite information site. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)