Confused about D* DVR fees

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kbohip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Colorado Springs
I'm wanting to switch from Dish to Directv. I currently have the Top 120 service with a 510 DVR through Dish. I pay about $47 a month for this. If I go with the Total Choice package and a DVR through D* I should be paying about the same right? What if I add another DVR with D*? Will I have to pay another $5 a month? I know E* wants another $5 a month for each additional receiver but I've heard that with D* you can add as many more as you like but only pay the one $5 a month fee. Also does D* charge you yet another $5 a month if you don't have the DVR plugged into a phone line. I'm with Vonage and my only phone connection is downstairs.

Sorry for all the questions but these guys are driving me crazy! One says one thing and the other says another. They both claim the other has more fees than them :rolleyes:. I called E* tonight and the rep was positive that D* charges $5 a month for each additional DVR in the house. D* claims they don't. 1 or 10 it's only $5 a month.

BTW, the reason I'm so upset with E* after having them for over 6 years is all the stupid monthly fees. I wanted to get a 522 DVR from them and they want to charge me an extra $10 a month for it! $5 for the so called DVR service (they've never heard of Tivo) and another $5 for not having it hooked up to a phone line. This is after charging me $100 for the shipping and install on the DVR and thats after I got upset with them. Originally she quoted me $150 for it! At least after paying the $100 for the Directivo I'll actually own it.

The Tivo fee is $5/month no matter how many DVRs hou have on your D* account.

You will, however, have to pay $5/month for each extra receiver.

For example:

3 tivos with Total Choice Plus would cost you:

$45.99 monthly sub fee (includes 1 receiver)
$ 4.99 extra receiver
$ 4.99 extra receiver
$ 4.99 Tivo subscription (covers all 3 tivos)

$59.96 Total

Nicely done, chrisb. I might add though, that the TOTAL CHOICE PLUS you quoted at $45.99/mo. also includes your local network and local independent channels.

Not trying to be picky, but technically speaking TOTAL CHOICE PLUS with out local channels would be $3./mo lower or $42.99/mo.

-Robert

kbohip said:
I called E* tonight and the rep was positive that D* charges $5 a month for each additional DVR in the house. D* claims they don't. 1 or 10 it's only $5 a month.

What have we allways learned, ? Never trust a CSR from another Company what they tell you about the competitor,
they allways will tell something different to get you to sign up with them. ;) :D

But as chrisb stated, yes Directv charges 4.99 for each additional reciever fee.

Meh, at least they don't charge for the phone line not being hooked up I guess. Still, they really hide that extra $5 a month fee don't they? I think I'll just buy a Dish 721 off Ebay and forego all extra charges :).

kbohip said:
Meh, at least they don't charge for the phone line not being hooked up I guess. Still, they really hide that extra $5 a month fee don't they? I think I'll just buy a Dish 721 off Ebay and forego all extra charges :).

I don't think so, DirecTV is fairly up-front about their additional receiver fees.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Nicely done, chrisb. I might add though, that the TOTAL CHOICE PLUS you quoted at $45.99/mo. also includes your local network and local independent channels.

Not trying to be picky, but technically speaking TOTAL CHOICE PLUS with out local channels would be $3./mo lower or $42.99/mo.

-Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the heads up. $45.99 is what's listed on D*'s site right now for Total Choice Plus, so that was the $$$ I used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts