Confused about DV, component and this new DVD player

Diamond Dog

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
When you talk to all the idiots at the stores, you can tell they are not sure.

I am thinking about getting this new Sony DVD player because it will play in true 1080 hi def

http://forums.designtechnica.com/showthread.php?t=4031

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...975V&Dept=hav&CategoryName=hav_DVD_DVDPlayers

When I read the product description, it seems like it only plays in 1080i when you use the HDMI connection. Is this correct or will it also put this out with a component video connection?

My sony TV only has a DVI connection. I take it this is different. The other problems is that I only have 1 of these type of inputs as the hidef satellite receiver is occupying it.

Maybe I could use componenet cables on the satellite and use the HDMI connection for the DVD?

Don't that make DVI to HDMI adapters. Will they degrade signal quality?

I am hoping I can just use component for the 811 and use the DVI for the DVD player

This is not one of the HD DVD players. The new "blu-ray" laser devices will be out soon, but this is a reference standard, multi-format DVD player with DVI and built-in up-conversion.

Looking thru the Owner's Manual for this model, they only mention that HD is output to the HDMI connector. The component outputs appear to be 480i/480p only.

You can get an HDMI to DVI cable for the DVD and use component for your sat receiver as you suggested.

I purchased my HDMI/DVI cables from here:

http://www.cablezrus.com/hdtymatodvma1.html

The price is very reasonable, and I have been pleased with the quality.
Mike J

Diamond Dog said:
I am thinking about getting this new Sony DVD player because it will play in true 1080 hi def

Don't that make DVI to HDMI adapters. Will they degrade signal quality?

I am hoping I can just use component for the 811 and use the DVI for the DVD player
Hi Diamond, Well there are options for 1080 DVD players. I use a Samsung DVD HD931 and a DP811 both on the same DVI input of my LCD. I use a Gefen 2 to 1 DVI switcher to accomplish this. The only issue I have with doing this is that the 2 sources are much difference, brightness, contrast, etc...I had ISF come in and calibrate the input...this brought very good balance between the 2 sources.

I know people using the adapters, they have their quirks...on the other forum a user wasn't able to get his 811 DVI to HDMI cable to work. Here is a good source for anything DVI or for switchers or cables.

Also the Sony is not the only DVD-HD unit...Denon make one too. Go here to read a thread that named just about ever 1080i DVD player available and price.

Hope this helps,
Jason

I don't know about getting one of these DVD players when the HD-DVD players will be on the market in the next year or two. I would hate to get it now and then it be obsolete that quickly.

DVI is part of the HDMI spec, so no matter what cable you get you are guaranteed compatibility. I have one connected from my D* HTL-HD to my Sony 30" that has HDMI.

This tread also needs to move to the HDTV forum.

Neutron said:
I don't know about getting one of these DVD players when the HD-DVD players will be on the market in the next year or two. I would hate to get it now and then it be obsolete that quickly.

DVI is part of the HDMI spec, so no matter what cable you get you are guaranteed compatibility. I have one connected from my D* HTL-HD to my Sony 30" that has HDMI.

This tread also needs to move to the HDTV forum.
Jason, they are already here...though well over 2 grand. Denon and Sony both produce a model. This is the Sony he was referring to...though I'm not sure he saw the price.

Jason

if you worry about things being obsoleted, you should never buy anything.

The sony I am refering to is priced under $300.00. It just came out.

Does the 811 still put out HDTV when you use component connectors? I think the best bet for now is to hook the 811 component and this new DVD player HDMI to DVI with a special cable. Its debateable whether the picture of the 811 will be better or worse (from reading the threads there are mixed opinions), but I think the sacrifice is worth the ease of installation and cost of installation (ie no switch to buy)

Once again look at the DVD player very close. There has been no release of the HD-DVD yet. Do you have the offical logo mark on the player? Please post your model number if you have one. The above listed Sony DVP-NS975V is a $299 model, so that in itself can assure you it does not do HD, but a great price for a model that does super Audio/DVD/CD, and others, along with up-conversion. Save your $299 until the HD models come out next fall.

Attachments

• hddvd_logo201x133_eng.gif
    hddvd_logo201x133_eng.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 251
charper1 said:
Once again look at the DVD player very close. There has been no release of the HD-DVD yet. Do you have the offical logo mark on the player? Please post your model number if you have one. The above listed Sony DVP-NS975V is a $299 model, so that in itself can assure you it does not do HD, but a great price for a model that does super Audio/DVD/CD, and others, along with up-conversion. Save your $299 until the HD models come out next fall.
I mis-read...the Denon 5900 I was speaking of is HDCD not HDDVD, although it listed several upgradeability features and software flash upgradeability. At $2K I speculate whether or not HDDVD is something Denon is going to offer an upgrade for.

Diamond, I agree with the others, the model number Sony listed and linked is not HDDVD...It is however an up-converting 1080i DVD player which is what my Samsung is.

Also Diamond, you asked if the DP81 will output HDTV thru component-video (YPrPb) the answer is yes it will.

Jason

There are actually 2 High Definition DVD formats that are coming out. HD-DVD or AOD (Advanced Optical Disc) and Blu-Ray. It's VHS Vs. Beta all over again.

Nipjas
\
The chances of any DVD unit being upgraded to either HD format is essentially zero. AOD and Blu-Ray both use blue-purple wavelength lasers and would require new optical units to replace the red wavelength units. You would also need to replace most, if not all, of the electronics with hardware designed for the new format(s). While it could be done technically it does not make sense to do so economically.

K R Kimmel said:
The chances of any DVD unit being upgraded to either HD format is essentially zero.

Great addition KRK. This is 100% correct. We will all need new players, but they will be backward compat. So if you really want HD-DVD save your money and keep your current DVD player. If you don't have a player now, then that $299 unit is a great stop gap player, but I wouldn't spend any more than that in the mean time while waiting for a true HD player.

It does not look like the component video on the Sony model you are looking at will output an up-converted 1080i signal, just the HDMI connector. If you look at the video DACs they are 108MHz which is not high enough for 720p or 1080i, but nevertheless are excellent for 480p.

Oh, yeah and HDMI is basically the same as DVI just a different connector and the capacity for embedded audio in the blanking intervals. Your DVD player will transmit audio but the TV will ignore it... more like it will be blind to it.

Oops, I was wrong, 108MHz is enough for HDTV but not for oversampling. Once Blu-ray comes out we will see more video DACs at 216MHz and above for HDTV.

Still it doesn't look like the Sony upconverts the component output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)