Confused about local channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

credog

Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Co
We moved from a city that had local channels on DirectTV about a year ago. We got local news and standard network programming like Opra, Office etc. When we moved to a new town we took the two receivers and connected them up to the antenna the Directv people installed. We still got local news and network programming from the city we moved from, which was fine with us. We are getting ready to move to a home in the same town and was considering upgrading to to HD DVR receiver, but the Directv rep said that we would not get local network channels since it is not offered in our area, she said that we would not get shows like Criminal Minds etc. Basically anything on NBC, CBS, ABC. It seems crazy to me that we would be not be able to watch anything on the three networks. So a few questions:

1) Is there anyway to get network programming (CBS, NBC, ABC), besides hooking up a set of rabbit ears? What are the options? We don't really care if we get local news, we just want national programming.

2) Is it possible to remove the card in my current HD Receiver and plug it into the new HD DVR that I may get? Is it compatible?

1) Once your new account address is set up you will have to request a "waiver" through DirecTV to get the national networks from NY or LA. You may or may not be eligible, they will determine that. It will take up to a month to get a final response.

2) Your card is "married" to your receiver so a new receiver will receive its own new card.

1) Once your new account address is set up you will have to request a "waiver" through DirecTV to get the national networks from NY or LA. You may or may not be eligible, they will determine that. It will take up to a month to get a final response.

2) Your card is "married" to your receiver so a new receiver will receive its own new card.

1) Actually your local broadcasters have to approve the wavier, it's not up to DIRECTV.

You do the wavier paperwork with DIRECTV, but your local stations are the ones that approve, or not approve it.

It would REALLY help us, help you, if you told us what city (or at least a zip) that you had when you had locals, & where you're moving to now... ;) ;)
CO is actually served by several TV markets.

Last edited:
If you can pick up the local stations with rabbit ears, you're almost certainly not going to get waivers. Otherwise, I think Colorado gets LA DNS.

For future reference, it is most helpful to identify TV stations by their call letters as opposed to the shows that they carry. To offer you accurate insight, we need to know exactly which TV stations (not networks or TV shows) are involved.

Big question!? Were are you moving to??

You have 2 options.

First off, if your not too far from another TV market-area with locals you could "MOVE" to that location.

Or you could "MOVE" to Los Angeles or New York to get programing from ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

In case you didn't know, your "service address" and "billing address" with DirecTV don't have to match. In order to "MOVE" you would have to call DirecTV and give them a different address and tell them you want to keep your billing adress the same (your current real address). It very easy to do.

More information, we moved from Salt Lake City to Grand Junction, CO sometime ago and just hooked up our receivers when we got there. Now we are moving to another part of town, but still in Grand Junction. We could use the same receivers again, but we wanted to get a DVR and would like to keep the SLC local programming if possible.

Another question, we maintained an address in SLC at a UPS store. Is it possible to order equipment and have it shipped to the address in SLC then have it forwarded to us in CO? I assume it would be programmed for the SLC locals or am I missing this all together?

No, if you call D* for an upgrade, they will bring everything out to your actual physical address, which will end up being changed on your account & you WILL loose the SLC locals.

But it's not really a problem - just call D* & have them do a movers connection w/an HD DVR upgrade at your new place. They'll install the proper dish, etc. Then wait about a week, then "move" your account back to a SLC physical address, but have them keep the billing address where you are at now - problem solved!

But DO some research here on "moving" first & do be aware (as others WILL be pointing out to you) that it's against your TOC. You won't go to jail if you get caught. :D

Just do the FREE movers connection with DirecTV. They might even give you a FREE HD-DVR. Like what dishrich said, just wait a few weeks and then call DirecTV and tell them you moved to Salt Lake City. If you don't have a real address in Salt Lake City, just go on google maps and look at apartments and use that as a "service address". And don't worry what "others" might tell you, lots of people "MOVE" all the time. ;)

Thanks. Thats great information. I was under the impression the card determined what channels you received, but it seems it based on the service address? It's interesting that we moved from SLC to CO about a year ago, when we called DirecTV about moving across town the other day they still have our SLC address as our service address. I wonder if we ask them to hook us up across town and add a DVR to the account if the service address will stay on SLC.

I wonder if we ask them to hook us up across town and add a DVR to the account if the service address will stay on SLC.

I've actually had several clients who did movers thru D*, & that the service techs did NOT ask for the CSR to change the service (physical) addy from the old one. The address (& the corresponding locals) did NOT change & they kept their "old" locals. (which they were just as happy to keep) You can try asking the tech to do this for you, as most are on to the "moving" game, but they may not.

Again, it really does NOT matter - just "move" your address later & you'll be back in business... ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)