Confused about signals??

Smokin Joe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Alabama
What kind of signals do I receive with my 622 and 522 Dish receivers and 1000 dish. I know I receive some analog only stations. Are these converted to digital at what point or not at all. These same analog stations do broadcast a DT signal according to their web sites but on a different channel number and Dish doesn't provide those. They are in my "Locals". I have three TV's that I assume are "Digital" being as they have HD tuners in them. Only one receives SD signals that are good and that is the one that the 622 supports HD programs on. I will add that have a fourth TV, that is an older CRT that receives all channels just fine(excluding HD's of course). Before I purchased 3 LCD digital TV's, I had crt's that had a good pictures on all of them. I am trying to figure out if reception will improve, when Dish starts using the DT signals of my locals? Or do I need to go to complaining to manufacturers? Yea, I know how much good that will do, but I have been surprised at times!! By the way, an antenna is not an option where I live. Smoke

Well you setup will give you satellite locations 110, 119, & 129. This will give you all digital stations but that does not mean HD. Don't confuse digital with HD.

It sounds like you are in a area that is not getting HD locals off the dish yet. So your local stations are not in HD. That is why you have a poor picture on your locals.

You can wait for Dish to provide your locals, or get an antenna. But you say an antenna is not an option so I guess you wait.

That is what it looks like to me......Don't get confused for sure.

Still confused??

Thanks Dave and ke4, for the replies. I don't think I have any confusion about DT,analog and HD signals. I just can't figure out why my new digital TV's would not all display the signals the same or as good as the old CRT's they replaced. One does and two don't!! Maybe if I can better explain what I purchased and replaced, it will make more sense to you guys. Late last year I had the local Dish installer change out my 500 dish,for the 1000 and changed out another 522 I had , for a 622 and do all of the necessary other changes. Running off the 622, I have a 37'' Viewsonic that replaced an 8 year old RCA 25'' CRT-- No change in picture quality on any channel--only better when receiving an HD broadcast. The second TV running off the same 622, I have a Viewsonic 32" that replaced a 32" Panasonic CRT that was 4 years old. Very poor reception on all channels. Nothing like as good, as the old CRT! Running off the 522 I have a 15" Sharp Aquos that replaced a 15 year old 13'' CRT Panasonic. Picture quality nothing like as good as the old CRT. The second TV off of the 522 is a 20" four year old CRT Panasonic. No change in picture quality. It is very good. What brought on all of these questions is, I am considering purchasing a new 23" LCD HD TV to replace the 20'' CRT. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing anything, if this is the kind of reception I can expect!! Can one of you guys tell me how to get paragraph separation on this board?? I am sure it makes it hard to read as is! Smoke

Last edited:
What kind of signals do I receive with my 622 and 522 Dish receivers and 1000 dish. I know I receive some analog only stations. Are these converted to digital at what point or not at all. These same analog stations do broadcast a DT signal according to their web sites but on a different channel number and Dish doesn't provide those. They are in my "Locals". I have three TV's that I assume are "Digital" being as they have HD tuners in them. Only one receives SD signals that are good and that is the one that the 622 supports HD programs on. I will add that have a fourth TV, that is an older CRT that receives all channels just fine(excluding HD's of course). Before I purchased 3 LCD digital TV's, I had crt's that had a good pictures on all of them. I am trying to figure out if reception will improve, when Dish starts using the DT signals of my locals? Or do I need to go to complaining to manufacturers? Yea, I know how much good that will do, but I have been surprised at times!! By the way, an antenna is not an option where I live. Smoke

Ok lets look at your setup, 3 LCD tv's that may or may not all be HD ( some are ED enhanced definition and some are just LCD but not ED or HD ) and you have them hooked up to your dish network system. With the 622 and 522 receivers you will only have one of these tv's that will actually get any HD content directly off of the the system and that will be on the 622's tv1 output, all other tv's will get only standard digital outputs.

As has been stated it does sound like your in an area where the locals are not being broadcast through dish as of yet in HD but you have noticed the picture quality of your locals in standard digital on your 3 LCD sets. There are a few things to always keep in mind with your tv's as well as dish and the locals.

(1) Your tv's are designed to give you the best possible picture through high definition and with good working equipment thats sending that HD signal to your tv while SD pictures are not going to be as crisp or clear with the only exception generaly being your kids cartoons though some of the newer HD tv's out now are doing a great job on providing sharp SD pictures.

(2) The locals in SD through dish have always looked ok to horrible depending on the tv, and the signal coming to the head end in the market its in. Some days in Detroit the locals would look good on all channels while other days they would look like crap.

(3) SD pictures will generaly always look better on an old tube tv because thats what its made to do wich is give you the best possible picture in standard definition.

I dont recommend that anyone get their locals through dish or direct or even cable when it comes to HD broadcasts, Go with an antennae thats rated for your market and get all of the content that your local stations are offering wich I have as yet to see any pay to view service provider has.

Dish Customer Service Stinks....Anyone here help with remote?

Idot csr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)