confused on what we need for multiple tv's

aoverby

Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
I'm confused on what we need and the installation guy doesn't seem to be that much help :)
We live on a sailboat and as of last Sept have Dish service with one receiver (I think a 111) and two tv's. We have to watch the same thing on both tv's.
We would like to be able to watch different Dish channels on each tv. Also, we'd like to install a third tv and also be able to watch a separate channel on that tv. What do we need to do?
We've been told we need a different satellite dish and a new receiver - recommended the 322. I think that receiver would run the existing two tv's on be able to watch different channels on each, correct?
Would we then have to have a separate receiver for the third tv? We're also thinking of a DVR but not sure. Would it be highly recommended to have one? I've heard once you have one you can't live without it.
So the current receiver we have wouldn't be used at all?
Sorry for all the questions but I've really gotten myself confused on this. Thanks in advance for your help!

so keep the receiver we have now on one tv and put whatever 2nd receiver we get hooked up to the other two tv's? do both the 625 and the 522 have the infrared capability or whatever it is that allows the remote work through walls and other objects? do you really recommend a DVR? are they really nice to have?

Yes, keep your current receiver and use it on the TV you will least use. Get a 522 or 625, and it will be able to run two other TV's independently. DVR is great, and I recommend it; but you have to decide for yourself. Both the 522 and 625 have one UHF remote that allows it to work through walls. A new satellite dish or switches might be required (just leave that to the installer).

Well you can't get a 625 unless you lease it, and as an existing customer you are not going to be able to do that. So you would have to buy a 522 from someplace and hope you can get Dish to activate it. Also you will need to replace the LNB with a DP Quad or a DPP Twin with a seperator.

Either way you are going to have to fork out some cash to get this done, Dish won't do it for free. You are going to have to purchase it all from Ebay or a retailer and pay a tech to put it in.

With the 625 or other DVRs, can both TVs utilize the DVR feature, or is only one TV able to use it as DVR and the other TV just as a standard receiver? I know it has dual tuners, and I'm wondering if both TVs can record, pause, etc. different shows at once! Thanks.

I don't know about buying or leasing a 625 as an existing customer. It wouldn't hurt to ask E*. But you can buy or lease a 522. I looked at the lease offers for existing customers on the E* customer service site. You can lease a 522 for $149 up-front and a $5 lease fee and $5 DVR fee monthly. Include the added receiver fee for the third TV, and you've got $149 down and $15 monthly on top of your current bill for one receiver. The E* main website does not have the 522 even listed and does not allow the 625 for existing customers. Like I said, you might be able to talk E* into it, anyway. You could also buy the 522 from a retailer like dishstore.net for $344.99 or off ebay, but that route would only save $5 per month, meaning over three years before buying becomes cheaper than leasing.

netsfan said:
With the 625 or other DVRs, can both TVs utilize the DVR feature, or is only one TV able to use it as DVR and the other TV just as a standard receiver? I know it has dual tuners, and I'm wondering if both TVs can record, pause, etc. different shows at once! Thanks.
Both TVs, in effect, act like they have their own receivers. You can record two different shows while watching two different recorded shows. But since it's the same box, both TVs have access to the same recorded show list. Nifty.
Also, don't worry about what satellite setup, switches, etc. you have. When you're adding two TVs, the professional installation will take care of all that for you. Unfortunately, it will cost extra - unless you want to install yourself. In that case, it will cost extra anyway because you will have to buy cable, switches, etc.

Kavula,

You are a little off on the pricing. A 522 would only cost an additional $10.00 a month. $5.00 for the DVR and $5.00 for an additional receiver. Unless you don't hook up a phone line then you will have to pay the extra $5.00 for the second tuner.

Thanks. I've always been confused by E* leasing. I thought there was a $5 lease fee besides the $5 DVR. That makes having a $522 an even better deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)