Confusion on H10 and H20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Troy67

Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
This may be a really stupid question, but I will ask it anyway.
I purchased an HD box from Best buy 3 months ago and I do not have the original packaging. How do i tell what box i have?
D* is telling me that if i get the 5LNB dish, i need to upgrade my HD box as well.
Is this in fact true? Seems to me that I still have the latest HD box available.

Thanks for the input on this

The H10 box:
DirecTV_h10_small.JPG

The H20 box:
ba89cf24-281a-4fff-a3e8-9cef62c4de3d.gif

(notice especially the larger center "select" button, and the label of "DirecTV HD" above it)

The H20 box is capable of decoding the MPEG4 signal, the H10 is not. So, if you have the H10 box, yes...you will need to upgrade to the H20 to receive your locals in MPEG4 HDTV (via a 5LNB dish).

I don't think the H20 was available 3 months ago, so I'd say you have a H10. To get the new MPEG4 channels you will need a 5LNB dish and a new HD box. I believe you could still use the H10 with the 5LNB dish, you just wouldn't get the new MPEG4 channels.

Troy67 said:
This may be a really stupid question, but I will ask it anyway.
I purchased an HD box from Best buy 3 months ago and I do not have the original packaging. How do i tell what box i have?
D* is telling me that if i get the 5LNB dish, i need to upgrade my HD box as well.
Is this in fact true? Seems to me that I still have the latest HD box available.
Thanks for the input on this

Look on the back or under the card access cover on the front. The model # is there.

Chip

Status
Please reply by conversation.