Connect two (2) Hopper-3's and a Joey possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Casey Chatsworth

Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Waddell AZ 85355
I'm trying to connect two (2) Hopper-3's and a Joey on one account. I currently have one Hopper-3, but as mentioned would like to add the other equipment to support additional TV's without having to share my hard drive or tuners. From what I've found so far, I'm going to need a DPH42 switch, old style LNB's, an orange hybrid duo hub, the second Hopper-3 and Joey before everything works as advertised.

I've found a post that seems to have originated on Aug 9, 2017, from a dweber that addresses this same issue and refers to several different posts and the post numbers. For example, there's a mention of post #255 from Charles which has a picture of the way the system needs to be set-up. There is also mention of other posts... ie post 122 by JSheridan shows the appropriate wiring diagram. How do I find these posts?

I've been working on this for more than two weeks now and currently on hold for Dish Networks Office of the President. I am so frustrated...! If the President cannot get my second Hopper-3 & Joey authorized, I don't know who can.

Am I on the right path? Is it really possible to connect two (2) Hopper-3's and a Joey or am I asking for something unattainable. The previous post indicates I should be able to do it. Please help me find the other posts... Thanks.

Possible, yes. You must buy the second H3. Many CSRs are Clueless Suffering Robots- not well trained.

If I say farewell to my HWSes, I might go for just such a setup.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm trying to connect two (2) Hopper-3's and a Joey on one account. I currently have one Hopper-3, but as mentioned would like to add the other equipment to support additional TV's without having to share my hard drive or tuners. From what I've found so far, I'm going to need a DPH42 switch, old style LNB's, an orange hybrid duo hub, the second Hopper-3 and Joey before everything works as advertised.

I've found a post that seems to have originated on Aug 9, 2017, from a dweber that addresses this same issue and refers to several different posts and the post numbers. For example, there's a mention of post #255 from Charles which has a picture of the way the system needs to be set-up. There is also mention of other posts... ie post 122 by JSheridan shows the appropriate wiring diagram. How do I find these posts?

I've been working on this for more than two weeks now and currently on hold for Dish Networks Office of the President. I am so frustrated...! If the President cannot get my second Hopper-3 & Joey authorized, I don't know who can.

Am I on the right path? Is it really possible to connect two (2) Hopper-3's and a Joey or am I asking for something unattainable. The previous post indicates I should be able to do it. Please help me find the other posts... Thanks.
Sorry, I can not find the thread I had started about two Hopper 3 install with post #255. There is something wrong in the history section of this forum right now for some reason. Anyway, attached is my setup with two H3s, two 4K Joeys, and two WJs all on one account. See if you can find a local retailer for your install.

Attachments

• DPH42 Switch Hopper 3.jpg
    DPH42 Switch Hopper 3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,043
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,424
Reactions: HipKat
What :shh It would be the best thing you ever done @navychop.

Sadly, it looks ever more likely it will come to that.

I guess I need to price out H3 + replacement for my owned Joey1 vs two H3 +Joey replacement vs current costs.

Sigh. Maybe I should just turn in the bad HWS and use that Joey1 there. But we do sometimes need more than three sat tuners.

And, of course, that red LED.

Thanks so much for the assist re/Hopper-3's! How do I find the posts noted in other folks posts? :)

Sadly, it looks ever more likely it will come to that.

I guess I need to price out H3 + replacement for my owned Joey1 vs two H3 +Joey replacement vs current costs.

Sigh. Maybe I should just turn in the bad HWS and use that Joey1 there. But we do sometimes need more than three sat tuners.

And, of course, that red LED.
You will love it. Are you going to tell anyone or keep it top secret when you take the plunge. :shh

HWS is Hopper With Sling, AKA Hopper 2. Second in the (so far) series of 3 Hoppers, with the latest being the H3 or Hopper 3, and the first being the H1 or Hopper 2000, suitable for recycling since the accursed CUI came out.

It’s currently inactive. It’s hooked up to a 27” Sony Trinitron.

If I move to the H3, I expect they’ll replace it with a Joey 2 or Joey 3. Still owned. The longer I wait, the more likely it’ll be a Joey 3.

Or have they already stopped issuing Joey 2s?

I set more transfers to EHD this morning, about a 20 hour transfer. It appears the transfers are taking longer to process. Or maybe that’s just jitters.

I have the answer. Skimmed the other posts - but I'm a nerdy technician so here it goes.

Then joey 1.0 is not compatible with the hopper 3 - don't even try it. Sorry you own a joey, there aren't many benefits of doing so anyway. At minimum you need joey 2/3, 4k joey, or wifi joey. Google the difference between them.

You absolutely can have two hopper 3s with separate DVRs and moca clients. You just need a dp42 switch and two separate solo hubs. This is potentially a beast of an install so I hope you get a prepared technician - be nice give the man a water or a soft drink while he works.

You will most likely have to purchase the second Hopper 3...because reasons. Expect at least a couple hundred dollars for that second receiver.

gQBHV

Linked is the wiring diagram for two hopper 3 and a dp42 switch. Hope that makes things clear.

Armed with this knowledge, you should be able to manhandle DISH into getting what you want. Just stop trying to activate that joey 1.0, I guarantee that's what's holding up the process - every CSRs system is freaking out when they try to input that - because it's not compatible. Besides, that's like putting diesel in a Lamborghini - don't do that to your hopper 3 ;)

Edit: trying to fix this imgur link to the diagram.

A lot of things how to connect two hopper3s are still not very clear...
That what i read so far is you cant see the tuners and the recording on the other hopper3 (like two-hopper2s before). It is mention also that you need two separate internet connections for the two hoppers3 to prevent MOCA cross-talk?

And to add to the previous post, you will need regular (non-hybrid) 1000.2 or 1000.4 LNB (actually 500 and 500+ DP and DPP LNBs works as well)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts