Connecting an HD receiver to a non-hd dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hurriken

Original poster
May 17, 2011
Michigan
I just switched from Cable to Directtv last week, when the installer was here, he notice our rv and asked if we were going to use it on the road as well, I said I would like to. He suggested purchasing a non-hd single lnb dish due to it being easier to align while camping. I bought a non-HD dish RV kit with meter ect... Just received the dish today so thought I would try it out in the RV and see how it worked. Set up and aligned to the 101 with the meter (I should mention that the meter I have powers the lnb via a battery pack) seemed to be pretty easy to align. Hooked up the cable to the RV and sat receiver, powered up the tv, and receiver, and the receiver couldnt find any signal? Then hooked up my meter inline with the receiver, and there dosent appear to be any power coming out of the receiver to the lnb? Ive seen power inserters online, and know the installer has one in the house, and said it was needed with the 5 lnb swm dish he installed. I'm going off the assumption that I need to add a power inserter question is can I just take the one installed in the house and Hook it up, I'm afraid it might cook my single lnb since it is set up to power my 5 lnb at home. Any suggestions?

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

No you don't need an additional power inserter. You may fry something if you hook it up. Your dish isn't aligned correctly. I haven't used one of the rv type dishes, so I haven't a clue what you may be doing wrong. Have you checked to make sure the mast is plumb and that the elevation and azimuth are correct? Also, are there any trees that might be blocking the signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)