Connecting Receiver to different dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sjotime

Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Tucson Arizona
I recently bought a cabin that already has a directv dish on the roof. I was hoping I could just bring my genie from home with me, hook it up, and it would work. Tried this today and got a 775 error code. I have an HR54-500 receiver and the dish at the cabin is a SWM SL5. Should it have worked or is the dish not compatible with my receiver? Or do I need a power inserter?

:welcome to Satelliteguys Sjotime!

You do need a power inserter, that's why you are getting the 775 error message.

The HR54 has a built-in power inserter so you don't need a separate one. Are you sure the dish is an SWM one? Only one coax from the dish?

How confusing, unless they put PIs in the recvr going forward, some need others don't...

If the 54 has one built in and the dish is actually still pointed....
This should have worked, it Should see the SWM set up automatically ....
I would have checked the System info to see what dish it is currently seeing ... if it's a SWM that it sees, I would then go thru the Repeat Sat Set up even though you shouldn't have to.

Yes, it should automatically see the SWM LNB.
Possibilities:
1. There is a cable or connector issue in the cable going from the HR54 to the dish. This is the most likely.
2. The LNB at the dish is faulty
3. The HR54 is faulty

The dish does not need to be pointed for the SWM to be detected.

As Jimbo says, go through sat setup again, see what results you get.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know it's not the HR54 b/c it works fine at my house. I'm going to try a new cable and see if that solves the problem.

Also, make sure there are no splitters between the HR54 and the dish. If there is, make sure the cabling is on the power passing ports.

I didn't realize the 54 has a built in power inserter, I thought only the H44 had one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)