connecting skyangel & reg. dish

Kountzer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Houston, Texas
Okay, I have regular dish programming that comes in on a single dish with a twin lnbf, 110 and 119. I also have another dish with which I get sky angel from sat. 61.5. This 61.5 dish has a single lnbf. I have a 508 receiver/recorder and a legacy receiver that is now dormant. I may hook the old legacy receiver to the tv in the back, but that is for another day.

Now my question: how do I hook these 2 satellite dishes up? Right now I am constantly disconnecting one, and reconnecting the other. I know I probably need some sw 21 switches, or similar switches. Exactly how do these connect? I mean, the pics. of sw 21 switches I've seen have 2 connections coming in, and one going out to the receiver. Well, the reg dish sat. has 2 lines coming from it. How do I connect the 3rd line coming from the sky angel, 61.5 satellite and dish?

Also, does the sw 21 switch go in the attic? or do i connect all this stuff on the outside?

thanks,

Darryl in Houston, TX.

Connect a line from the 500 Twin to the SW21 and connect the 61.5 line to the SW21. DO A CHECK SWITCH. This can be in the attic or behind your tv.

If you plan to add another reciever you will need to switch the LNB on 61.5 to a Twin. Then do the same thing with the other reciever.

Exactly correct, except:
mwgiii said:
...you will need to switch the LNB on 61.5 to a Twin...
Actually Dual, not Twin, would be appropriate here. Same thing as a Single but with two outputs.

This may be what you already have, if you are calling it a "single" because of how many "eyes" it has. The designation Single/Dual comes from the number of outputs.

The SW21's can be outside...I have had mine outside for 4 years with no issues (here in MN) :)

if you are going to hook up the 2nd receiver, then you would need a dual on the 61.5 dish..

Thanks for the reply information guys. I plan to look into trying these suggestions soon, - that is if hurricane Rita doesn't blow us, the house and the satellite stuff away. We live on the NW side of town. and we're going to ride it out.

~ Kountzer ~

Kountzer said:
Thanks for the reply information guys. I plan to look into trying these suggestions soon, - that is if hurricane Rita doesn't blow us, the house and the satellite stuff away. We live on the NW side of town. and we're going to ride it out.

~ Kountzer ~

If you have time, you better take your dishes off the roof.
Take care

Thanks for the posts. We dodged a bullet. As reported, the storm hit east of here. 18 hrs. or so, with no power is no joke, esp. in 97 degree heat. Need to buy a generator. The dishes are fine, as is everything else. We were lucky this time.

~ Kountzer ~

Okay. I got the sw 21 switches in the mail. I got up in the attic and hooked it all up. Presto! Tv nirvana. This is sooo much better than the hook-up I had before. The best tv lineup I've ever seen. Now to hook up the 2nd receiver in the bedroom. Soon as I can buy a dual lnbf for the 61.5 I will do so. Thanks again.

Darryl in Houston

Okay, let me back up and explain: I have 2 satellite accounts with dishnetwork. One is with sky angel, on sat. 61.5, the other is regular dish programming on a twin 500 lnbf, sats 110 and 119, repectively. I saw this ad on e bay for switches that would connect the 2 satellites. I referred to the diagram posted below. I have since learned that I could take one of the coax leads coming from the twin 500 lnbf, run it through on one side of the sw 21 switch, then hook. the lead from the 61.5 satellite and I would have the channels from both satellites going through one receiver. As I posted, it works.
Now, I've learned, from reading the posts provided here, that I could use just one of the leads from the twin lnbf, hooked up to the sw 21 switch, and use the other lead from the twin lnbf to hook up the old legacy receiver, in another room. Well, I did that this morning, and it works. Again thanks.
My question is: I bought 2 switches from this guy on e bay. One switch was a sw21, the other was a sw21x. The seller on e bay had a diagram showing the 2 switches used in parallel. ( i guess you call it parallel). I now know that I didn't really need the sw 21x switch at all. I am a bit confused. Why did the diagram show the need for the sw21x switch? I hope this is not confusing. Here's a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5812569477&rd=1&sspagename=
STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Anyway, I now need a dual lnbf and another sw21 switch to hook up skyangel on the 2nd receiver. I understand what has happened. I just don't quite understand the set-up from the seller on e bay. Anyone care to unravel this?

D Bishop

In the diagram, the SW21X performs the same function as the built-in switch in your Twin LNBF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts