Consecutive recordings having gaps

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
With the new TV season ramping up, I'm starting to notice a behavior with my 722k, that neither my 622, nor 508, nor 501 has ever previously displayed. Specifically, it appears that if two shows are set to record, one after the other, when the receiver decides it's time to start the new recording and end the old recording, it is dropping a few moments of the recording.

The 622 when recording two shows one after the other (both on the same tuner) the first show would record a few moments into the next show, and the next show would start a few moments into the previous show, thus nothing was lost. Yet with the 722K, I regularly notice that things are lost.

Figured I'll call into Dish sometime in the next few days after I can nail down if it happens only on OTA or only on SAT, or on both. But wondering if anyone else has noticed this change with later receivers?

Yep its very annoying on my 722Ks... Didn't know the 622 actually does it properly as my last DVR was a 625 years ago... Never noticed that problem on the 625... Wonder if the 722 does it properly...

The 625 does it too. My dad has one and Monday nights he has back to back shows on one tuner and a show on the other. The back to back cuts at the time it shows in the guide and no buffer

The 625 does it too. My dad has one and Monday nights he has back to back shows on one tuner and a show on the other. The back to back cuts at the time it shows in the guide and no buffer
Is that in Single Mode, or Dual Mode? As I said in the other thread, I've always had my back to back shows record on separate tuners with the overlaps kept intact. This is on both the 625 and 722 in Dual Mode with Record Plus set to TV2 preference.

I guess I either just never noticed it before, or a firmware update broke it...

Is that in Single Mode, or Dual Mode? As I said in the other thread, I've always had my back to back shows record on separate tuners with the overlaps kept intact. This is on both the 625 and 722 in Dual Mode with Record Plus set to TV2 preference.

doesnt matter in this case. Tuner 2 has the back to back shows and tuner 1 has a show during that time being recorded too. Now that winter is coming the 625 is back in single mode (during the summer its in dual as an output goes ot the party garage) ;) and it does the same thing. Tuner 2 that has the back to back shows it cuts right at the time the guide says

That's weird. I have NEVER had two shows record back-to-back on the same tuner with my record early/end late settings. If I have 3 shows scheduled to record, 2 of which are back to back on the same channel, then 1 of those 3 will be skipped by priority.

That's weird. I have NEVER had two shows record back-to-back on the same tuner with my record early/end late settings. If I have 3 shows scheduled to record, 2 of which are back to back on the same channel, then 1 of those 3 will be skipped by priority.

All of which is completely irrelevant to the particular issue I have described. Single tuner receivers in the past, and including the 622 dual tuner receiver I own, have had a behavior which did not cause any of the broadcast show to be lost. Yet the 722K and it appears the 625 operate in a way that will lose moments of items recorded.

In any software development group I've worked in, that would be called a bug.

Then you have something set up wrong because in the 2 months I've had Dish I have recorded numerous back to back programs (mainly OTA) on the 211k and they all hard cut at the time (9:00 as example)...setting is to 1 min early 1 min late and if there is no back to back it works fine

Sorry Mike if it appears I was hijacking the thread. You said that in the past with the 622 that you wouldn't lose any part of back to back recordings, and each recording would have part of the other recording included. AFAIK, there is no way to record that overlap without switching to another tuner, and it's the behavior I've always experienced on the 625 and 722 (no k).

Last edited:
Then you have something set up wrong because in the 2 months I've had Dish I have recorded numerous back to back programs (mainly OTA) on the 211k and they all hard cut at the time (9:00 as example)...setting is to 1 min early 1 min late and if there is no back to back it works fine
Maybe the OTA tuners work differently than the SAT tuners. I have yet to record back to back programs on a OTA channel yet. But on a SAT channel, switching tuners and recording the overlaps based on my settings is how it works for me, and how I want it. I wouldn't want a hard cut that might be imprecise, or to potentially lose part of a recording as described in this thread.

Last edited:
(I sure this is covered in the other thread)...
Every timer needs pads these days. Programs regularly overshoot thier allotted start/end times. Obviously the BEST solution for back to back on the same channel is to use 1 Tuner and split the stream to both recordings on the hard drive. It sounds like this is what direct does. It's really no brianer. It's silly that Dish does not do this.

My experience with pads is that pads less then 5 minutes are ignored with back to back recordings (I call them soft pads). Pads 5 min or greater are hard. Back to back will pull 2 tuners, or the lower priority timer will fail.

(I sure this is covered in the other thread)...
Every timer needs pads these days. Programs regularly overshoot thier allotted start/end times. Obviously the BEST solution for back to back on the same channel is to use 1 Tuner and split the stream to both recordings on the hard drive. It sounds like this is what direct does. It's really no brianer. It's silly that Dish does not do this.

My experience with pads is that pads less then 5 minutes are ignored with back to back recordings (I call them soft pads). Pads 5 min or greater are hard. Back to back will pull 2 tuners, or the lower priority timer will fail.
And my experience with pads is that I have 2 minute pads on both ends, and they are never treated as soft pads. Back to back will pull 2 tuners, or the lower priority timer will fail. Always has been on my 625 and my 722. This is using the satellite tuners, not OTA.

You might be right. I've been around for a long time. They may have changed the Pad functionality with a software release. There could also be another factor (like single vs dual mode).

dare2be said:
And my experience with pads is that I have 2 minute pads on both ends, and they are never treated as soft pads. Back to back will pull 2 tuners, or the lower priority timer will fail. Always has been on my 625 and my 722. This is using the satellite tuners, not OTA.

This is not how my 722 treats my 1 minute/3 minute pads. On back to back shows, when the other tuner is being used, I get a hard cut. This is the same for Sat tuners and OTA. It is most annoying for ABC programming as they always run over. I generally just watch the beginning of the second show to catch the end of the first At most you lose a couple of seconds in that cut being made. Something about the transition makes the receiver altogether drop the recording momentarily when transitioning.

This doesn't create a huge problem for me. Although one time, I watched the second show first (fast forwarding past the end of the first show) and at the end I went into "automatic action without thinking mode" and deleted the viewed recording. I instantly realized the error, but no undo. Thankfully, I was able to catch the end of the first show via Hulu. Since then, I always watch the first show first, to void any similar mishaps.

It'd be nice if they could update the software to record the way DTV's DVRs are reported to handle this situation.

It really is a mystery. Maybe 0 (obviously) or 1 minute start pads are treated as "soft", and anything earlier is not? I have never experienced a hard cut on the same tuner between 2 consecutive programs on the same channel. Usually one of them is skipped by priority if there is a higher priority third timer set to record on the other tuner.

I have 26 timers, mostly Dish Pass, so my management of conflicts and overlaps is a daily chore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts