Considering an ipad3?

Your interpretation of managing email and mine are different. I manage what comes in my inbox (99% of spam and all listserv stuff) are server-filtered into specific mail boxes. What comes in my inbox is what I need to deal with and thus manage - some of which is read and delete.

With 7000 messages a week, it seems like you need a different email provider and a way to manage at the server and not on the desktop.

That said, I suspect you'll be on your iPad 1 for a LONG TIME if you expect a new mail.app in the iPad 3. Since the iPad 3 will be running iOS5 like everything else, the app will be the same. No reason whatsoever to expect anything different.

There is evidence that Sparrow - the VERY GOOD mail client on OSX is working on an iPad version, but that shines best with gmail accounts. WHERE too, the filtering of mail occurs at the server level.

True that Gmail does an excellent job with spam and phishing junk. I have experimented with this as a test using Gmail to grab my scubatech.com server pop e-mail and filter it into the a trash can and it works pretty good on a PC. ( Don't use my Macbook Pro) But have not been able to get it to work on my ipad. When I try to get the ipad to log into a gmail account it says my User ID and PW are not valid. But I can use the browser access and see the Gmail only. Maybe I should try one of those other email apps that claims to access Gmail. Thanks for your suggestion to keep a lookout on Sparrow. Hadn't heard of that one.

You'd think with all the threads and forum discussion that Apple would address this issue.

True that Gmail does an excellent job with spam and phishing junk. I have experimented with this as a test using Gmail to grab my scubatech.com server pop e-mail and filter it into the a trash can and it works pretty good on a PC. ( Don't use my Macbook Pro) But have not been able to get it to work on my ipad. When I try to get the ipad to log into a gmail account it says my User ID and PW are not valid. But I can use the browser access and see the Gmail only. Maybe I should try one of those other email apps that claims to access Gmail. Thanks for your suggestion to keep a lookout on Sparrow. Hadn't heard of that one.

You'd think with all the threads and forum discussion that Apple would address this issue.

I have learned in the short time living in the walled garden that Apple does what it wants to do. :D

Mike- Good news! I got through to these people at my ISP and now have an IMAP server. I added a folder on the PC access and it showed up in my ipad account after setting IMAP up locally. Looks like whatever is on the server will be synced to my ipad. Now I have to see how much trouble it will be to regenerate all my folders I had in Outlook and rules in that account. Once that is done, I may be on the way to achieving my goal. A brief reading of the FAQ indicates there is some compatibility with Outlook and ability to import rules and folders. Need to study that as it seems a bit complicated.

Mike- Good news! I got through to these people at my ISP and now have an IMAP server. I added a folder on the PC access and it showed up in my ipad account after setting IMAP up locally. Looks like whatever is on the server will be synced to my ipad. Now I have to see how much trouble it will be to regenerate all my folders I had in Outlook and rules in that account. Once that is done, I may be on the way to achieving my goal. A brief reading of the FAQ indicates there is some compatibility with Outlook and ability to import rules and folders. Need to study that as it seems a bit complicated.

Good for you! Being on IMAP will be a big improvement. I have three different IMAP accounts I use (gmail, ISU, me.com)!

bhelms- How do you deal with the e-mail problem? Only mac heads believe it is great, because it looks pretty. Function-wise it sucks for anyone who gets more than 20 e-mails a day.
Easy - I get fewer than 20 e-mails a day at "home"! That's a carefully guarded address that somehow has escaped almost all of the spam. The few commercial transactions are from sites where I initiated them.

I'm far from a mac head - the iPad is the only Apple product I own. At this stage of my life it's doing almost everything I need a "home/portable" computer to do in terms of "casual" connecting. Everything else I need to do I do from my PC at work, including all power computing, work or personal.

But look how well the stock is doing...!!

BTW - I heard on a newscast this AM that the 'Pad 3 will indeed have 4G...in case that matters to anyone. (My 3G works fine for me most of the time. But I'm not a power user when I'm on my own time...)

Last edited:
My e-mail address has been out there since the 90's and has been quite public for many years. Yeah I watch it hourly! :) Sold half my holdings between 430 and 450 because it was unbalancing my portfolio. I hear rumors of a 10 to 1 stock split and a dividend, finally!

I think I'm on my way to resolving my problem with the IMAP server now. I wonder what the downside of IMAP will be. ??

Scott- what app do you use to handle that? I send attachments too but need to do it through each separate app, not through ipad e-mail. If I want to send someone 3 attachments, they must have their own app and support e-mail sending and then I would need to do 3 e-mails. It isn't that I can't do it now. It's just awkward.

I'm not so thrilled with Outlook at work. There is some limit, too low a limit, on how many rules you can apply. I topped out long ago. Now that we have better spam filtering on the server, I guess maybe I could revisit a few. But there shouldn't be a limit, at least not one likely to be reached by 98% of users.

Just throwing this out there folks.

This thread. Posts 7 & 8.

:D;):bump:

:D

As I said, I am not getting a 3 unless 1) The retina display REALLY blows me away; and 2) I can sell my iPad 2 for $500+ (I have the 64GB iPad); and 3) I can convince my WIFE of that plan. Given that I just bought a MacBook Air, tax time, and #3 on the list, I would not be running to Vegas with that bet just quite yet. :)

AND if the iPad 2 drops to $300, I am screwed. :)

I'm not so thrilled with Outlook at work. There is some limit, too low a limit, on how many rules you can apply. I topped out long ago. Now that we have better spam filtering on the server, I guess maybe I could revisit a few. But there shouldn't be a limit, at least not one likely to be reached by 98% of users.

if they are server side rules, they take resources from the server. imagine taking your rules and applying to to every mailbox in the corporation. that can put quite a load on the servers. there are very specific calculations that are done for exchange server sizing.

As I said, I am not getting a 3 unless 1) The retina display REALLY blows me away; and 2) I can sell my iPad 2 for $500+ (I have the 64GB iPad); and 3) I can convince my WIFE of that plan. Given that I just bought a MacBook Air, tax time, and #3 on the list, I would not be running to Vegas with that bet just quite yet. :)

I'll buy your used iPad2 for $150, Rocky!! :)

$151!

Actually, I hope you get a good price. Perhaps your thinking is not wishful.

rockymtnhigh said:

Yep. Point well made across the board. The big one Beeing #3!!!!!;)

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

One of my requirements would be the screen brightness in bright sunlight on my patio to be compelling. Frankly, I'm quite pleased with the image quality of my ipad1 indoors.

Navychop- You should only need rules to file emails to qualified folders. Outlook can use the "junk" folder and a rule for that for all other spam. I have just two that eliminates all my "spam" and "Phish" labeled emails to those folders. emails with attachments containing virus are screened by my virus scanner. I used to tag emails as they came in with a rule for junk so future e-mails from this source would not show up in inbox, but then discovered it was better to use one rule that tagged the "[spam]" in the header and a second rule "[phish]" to do the same. These are both sent to the junk folder. I have about 30 other rules for all my different client folders. Each day I only get a small number of inbox e-mails that need to be deleted. If I see they are repetitious and from the same source, taging it as "junk" using, not the rules but the right click options on the junk folder, handles all future inbox email from that that source once snuck by the standard spam screener.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)