Considering changing from Cable to Dish Hopper w/ Sling. Need advice...

Borno

Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
NV
I am considering changing from cable to dish. I have two homes and I'm currently paying two seperate cable providers. I am hoping to switch to dish (Hopper with sing) at one location and use a Sling Catcher at the other. Is this possible? Also, is the Sling Catcher Digital HD Streamer compatible with the Hopper w/Sling? thanks for any advice!

I use the sling adapter to watch with dishanywhere on a phone or tablet now, I used to connect tablet to tv at second home with hdmi cable. I have since bought a standalone Slingbox and use a WDTV media player with built in sling app to watch Dish at second home works great.

If you have a tablet or laptop with decent TV output/adapter, and a capable input TV, the HWS is all you really need, provided you have decent internet at the other house.
Sorry OSU, you beat me to it.

If you have a tablet or laptop with decent TV output/adapter, and a capable input TV, the HWS is all you really need, provided you have decent internet at the other house.
Sorry OSU, you beat me to it.
Just let me clarify that "decent internet" means a good uplink speed, as your Hopper W/Sling will be using the uplink connection the most. I'm sure others can chime in with specific limits on a good uplink speed.

Last edited:
Just let me clarify that "decent internet" means a good uplink speed, as your Hopper W/Sling will be using the uplink connection the most. 3Mbps up speed would be a minimum, I think.
I have only half that and no problems.

I am considering changing from cable to dish....

Do that for sure. As you see we can give several options to watch at the second home. Another possibilty, get a very basic package at the second location with a VIP receiver, and stream some programs from the first. Depending on your situation, a flex account at the second location? I use my slingboxes all the time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts