Considering HD - Couple of Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv user

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Hey All

Don't know about you guys but trying to get info out of Directv about HD is like splitting the atom.

Any way a couple of simple questions.

1) Do you have to subrscribe to the HD package to view ABC, NBC, CBS , FOX and HBO in HD? I live in NY. I couldn't even get a straight answer on this easy question.

2) I have a standard TIVO box hooked up to the main TV in the living room. I do not want to move the TIVO box to another TV. I alspo don't want to drop $1,000 on an HD TIVO box. I've been told that some customers in my situation run TIVO and HD side by side switching between the boxes. I understand that I can't record HD programming with TIVO box. Is this true ??
If so will Directv charge me for anotherrrrrrrr box? I'm at 3 additional boxes and counting.

Thanks in advance for any help

I can't answer 1,
but yes, with regards to #2, they would charge you for an additional box.

I have an H-10 next to an R-10 and have to pay for one additional receiver.

1) Do you have to subrscribe to the HD package to view ABC, NBC, CBS , FOX and HBO in HD? I live in NY. I couldn't even get a straight answer on this easy question.

You do not have to subscribe ($10.99 package) to get CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC HDTV if you already subscribe to local programming channels. If you are in NY, you shouldn't have to get the OTA to get these national broadcasts. You do not have to subscribe to the HD package to get HBO. If you have to subscribe to HBO, you will automatically get HBO HD.

I just got it. It's great!

They are giving away the HD package free for 3 months. I just upgraded my equipment and they gave it to me - not a new customer.

They upgraded your equipment at no charge ??

I was under the impression that the upgrade (dish + HD box) was $ 349 for existing customers.

How did you pull that off ??

Confused...

Hogarth said:
I can't answer 1,
but yes, with regards to #2, they would charge you for an additional box.

I have an H-10 next to an R-10 and have to pay for one additional receiver.

Are you saying that you can't hook up an H10 and R10 to work together? Are you stuck with switching between the two?

enthuzist said:
Are you saying that you can't hook up an H10 and R10 to work together? Are you stuck with switching between the two?

That's correct. All DirecTiVos can record satellite streams ONLY and cannot be hooked up to record content from another receiver. They have no encoders at all.

It's really not bothersome to me, though. Being able to record HD is just not yet worth $700 to me. (I paid $199 for my H-10.)

H

So no one makes and upconvertor box that could take in component and output ATSC that you could just put into the tuner section? I mean it would cost more than those standard modulators but there is a market for this kind of thing.

colofan:

The only TiVo that can record ATSC is the HR10-250 -- and since it already can record HD, what's the point?

The R-10 and older DirecTiVos can record NOTHING but the DirecTV SD satellite stream. period.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)