considering new genie. Connection question with a Vulkano placeshifter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
So....Currently I have Uverse. I think its time to switch. My questions is about connecting my placeshifer. Currently I have 2 Uverse boxes. Box 1 is in my living room. Box 2 is in my bedroom. Bedroom setup is using the HDMI to my tv and Component to Vulkano, Pretty simple.

Problem....switching to DTV using the genie (I think). So I now have a thin client, it only has HDMI out so thatll go to my tv which means I have to move my Vulkano to the living room. OK, so Im wondering if Im offside and watching and someone is home, are they stuck watching what I am watching? I know in a perfect world, if the genie were a 2 TV device like I think that 722 is that would work, but what about all the built in tuners, is what Im trying to do possible?

Any way you hook up a Vulkano, it is going to consume the output of that receiver. DIRECTV's HD receivers are only capable of delivering a single program.

If the content is copy protected, there will likely be some issues.

There is a component dongle for the C31 client box but I'm not sure how it deals with protected content (it was reported to treat all content as protected at one point).

I use a slingbox on a C31 with the component dongle and have had no trouble including premium channels.

The HDMI is connected to a HDCP compliant projector that is off when I use the slingbox.

Couldn't you use an HDMI splitter to accomplish this?
I don't think that any of the current Vulkanos have HDMI input.

It seems likely that the preferred connection method is component.

Some input from someone who has a C31 with the component adapter would be useful too.

Haven't tried it with the projector on, that could be where some ran into HDCP messages, if the HDMI device was active (even if not powered up the C31 may think it is active?)

if your wanting to watch live contnent
or any other
check out the directv anywhere offerings

Maybe use an extra client and get a component to HDMI converter seems to be one solution. The other may be to just keep uverse as is but in dying to switch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jcrandall mentioned that he has no problems with the channels over component and has both HDMI and component connected. Sounds like you would be good to go!

Haven't tried it with the projector on, that could be where some ran into HDCP messages, if the HDMI device was active (even if not powered up the C31 may think it is active?)

So do u have ur sling connected to your main box? Can u explain how its all connected and what the dongle is?

So do u have ur sling connected to your main box? Can u explain how its all connected and what the dongle is?

It's connected to a C31 client. The dongle is a 10pin connector that gives the C31 component output, which I use for the slingbox.

Jcran. Thanks my Michigan friend. Totally get it. Didn't know what c31 was. Now I get it. Do lastly do they charge per client, per TV.....if I were to get one strictly for my place shifter?

My JVC TV in the bedroom (running off an HDMI extender) doesn't answer when it is not powered up so I find that I must unplug its HDMI cable when HDCP is in play. It can be baffling when the PS3 shows a black screen because it isn't happy about the remote TV.

They charge $6 for a client box or tv just like they do for a regular receiver, so no savings one way or the other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)