Considering switch to Voom

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
Am currently an E* subscriber. It appears that Voom will be surviving so I am considering changing to Voom. How do you all rate the HD content and equipment? E*'s HD receiver has a lot of problems and it seems they can't fix it and promise fixes in later S/W releases. Getting old.

Anyway, let me know what you think and especially if any current Voom customers used to be E* subscribers. Thanks.

Hi I was with E* and D* and cable and none can compare to Voom. My husband and I watch more TV now that we have Voom than we have in years. And when the grandkids visit they love it. Sure is a lot calmer when they come with them all glued to the TV. LOL

Best advise is look around the site and check out the Customer Comments and Installation forums to see what current and past Voomers say. When you ask members what people think about the service and equipment on a post, you mostly get replies from members that are happy and they team up. If you look around, you'll see posts from existing people that share their opinions on past and present expierences and you can make your own decision. Best advice, look around.

I am still an E* customer, but dropped my HD Pak when I switched to Voom. Once DVR is released, I will drop E* altogether. The selection is far superior, though I miss the HDNet channels on E*. The HD PQ is generally far better than E*. I have occasionally seen small problems on some channels, but overall, life is good.

Plus, if you sign up soon, you can be a part of the weirdest real-life soap opera to come along in a long time... :)

Only complaint with entire setup is no DVR yet. Fingers crossed that it will be released soon.

My wife and switched to Voom in Feb. We had Dish Network. We were with Dish for 5 years. We put dish on hold for 6 months (there is a $5 a month charge for this) and took the $1 install deal from Voom. If we like Voom and it survives we can stay with Voom. If Voom doesn't survive, or if we don't like Voom we left our options open so we can go back to dish.

I like most of the HD programming on Voom. However, the Lab TV channel 129 is not really worth much. It has a fish tank, and the rest of it shows what looks like a bad trip from the 60's. Now this stuff might be okay if it was used as fill material instead of the intermissions that Voom is using, but an entire 24 hour channel is lame.

The intermissions are not really worth much. They are sort of a 3rd rate magic show. I don't really watch the intermissions, so it doesn't really matter much. However, I have caught a bit of them here and there while waiting for a movie to start.

I am also a little tired of Flipper on the FamilyRm Channel 101. Enough Flipper. Other then showing too much flipper this channel shows some good family movies. A little more good family movie content and less flipper and this channel will be good.

The rest of the line up is good. Voom could get rid of Lab TV and free up a transponder. Use that material as part of the intermissions.

If World Sports could get something like a contract with MLS or the European Hockey League (with the NHL out and a number of NHL players playing in Europe this year, this would have been a good selling point) to broadcast games it would help them round out their programming. They have a little bit of everything right now, but they repeat a lot of programming.

Voom has a lot of movie content right now. They need to add some sports content.
They are supposed to be working on that.

roalnd

Since getting VOOM installed on Thursday afternoon I must say that I truely enjoy it. I honestly thought that some of the people around here were crazy when they said that there is always something worth watching on VOOM. I spent the last 4 years with echostar and I can't tell you how many times I got bored with it and ended up flipping over to the dish cd or sirius. But "crazy ones" are right. Even though VOOM only has 21 channels there is always something to watch. I agree that a lot of the movies are old or older but who was it that said, "oldies but goodies"?

I have a 27" sd 4x3 tv. The pq is outstanding on it. I only experienced pixlating on once channel so far that last maybe 5-10 seconds.
The sound quality is great as well.

My biggest complaint so far is that the VOOM Menu is the first thing I see everytime I turn on my receiver.

Also I wish one they had a "all sub" guide, and two their guide was something like dish's and all I would have to do is hit the "guide" button to cycle through the guides.

There is a way to change the setup so your tv comes on first instead of the menus.
I found it once and changed it. (Okay, I didn't write it down.)

I am not sure where it was. Mine now comes up with the tv first instead of the menus.

roland

hmm

I have to admit..I like that Lab channel. It works as terrific background for dinner or gatherings and is will calm you to sleep at night too...

World Sport could use some additional programming. I'd like AHL Hockey and Euro League Hockey myself...

Just a quick questions since I know little about D*. A coworker is wanting to get V*. He is tired of the limited number HD channels...and is equally tired, or envious, listening to me run my yap about Va Va VOOM - he is ready to take the plunge. He owns his D* equipment so can he downgrade his subscription to HD and Sunday Ticket only? Or will D* make him subscribe a minimum programming package?

The guy can't live without his ST, but I certainly wouldn't pay for two cable favorite packages.

Lab is fairly useless, unless stoned or trippin'. But is does act as a decent screen saver. WorldSports is a good source of Soccer, so long as Spanish League/UEFA Championships is your thing. FoxSoccerChannel (Formerly Fox Sports World) is on both the Voom and Va-Va-Voom package, so if you like English Premiere League, you can still get a fix. Maybe not in HD, but still good stuff...

I would like to see Voom expand their sports offerings and stop replaying constantly the Junior World Hockey tournament from December/January...but hate to be overly picky.

I admit that I do not watch all of the Voom21, but for my money, having a 24 hour National Geographic-style channel like Equator is worth the price of admission. I have really only watched the Guy and Vice channels for some of my favorites from childhood, but would watch more if there were more recent movies add to the circulation from HBOHD/CinemaxHD/StarzHD/ShowtimeHD.

HD_Eric said:
I have to admit..I like that Lab channel. It works as terrific background for dinner or gatherings and is will calm you to sleep at night too...

World Sport could use some additional programming. I'd like AHL Hockey and Euro League Hockey myself...

AHL Hockey is on World Sport?

roland

Quote:
Just a quick questions since I know little about D*. A coworker is wanting to get V*. He is tired of the limited number HD channels...and is equally tired, or envious, listening to me run my yap about Va Va VOOM - he is ready to take the plunge. He owns his D* equipment so can he downgrade his subscription to HD and Sunday Ticket only? Or will D* make him subscribe a minimum programming package?

The guy can't live without his ST, but I certainly wouldn't pay for two cable favorite packages.

He has until October to figure out the Sunday Ticket thing, but I seem to recall that D* requires a minimum of Total Choice packages to receive any service. So I think the minimum is like $35/month to get anything else added to it. I could be wrong...it has been 3 years since I had D*.

Harry said:
Am currently an E* subscriber. It appears that Voom will be surviving so I am considering changing to Voom. How do you all rate the HD content and equipment? E*'s HD receiver has a lot of problems and it seems they can't fix it and promise fixes in later S/W releases. Getting old.

Anyway, let me know what you think and especially if any current Voom customers used to be E* subscribers. Thanks.

My only complaints with VOOM is it's refusal to add Fox Sports Regional programming. The picture quality has sufered a little bit too. If you don't like Sports than I suggest switching to VOOM.

atp1313 said:
Quote:

He has until October to figure out the Sunday Ticket thing, but I seem to recall that D* requires a minimum of Total Choice packages to receive any service. So I think the minimum is like $35/month to get anything else added to it. I could be wrong...it has been 3 years since I had D*.
Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)