Considering the hopper

I feel like I'm in beat-dead-horse-mode, but, how many does it count if the entire PTAT block dies on you? 1? 4? 16? :)

dare2be said:
I feel like I'm in beat-dead-horse-mode, but, how many does it count if the entire PTAT block dies on you? 1? 4? 16? :)

Seeing as 722 doesn't have PTAT, how is that even relevant? I don't use PTAT anyway but I'm sure it's not as bad as you are making it out to be just because you read about it on these forums. Chances are higher that it'll do just fine and if it doesn't, just turn it off?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I'm new to this forum, but the 722's are old technology. Like mentioned above, they don't offer PTAT so if you lost it once on the Hopper, it's not a big deal. 722's are like old flip phones, the Hopper is like a smartphone. I'll take the Hopper anyday over the 722. There might be a bug here and there, but Dish has been updating it and trying to get it perfect. Hell, my old Time Warner boxes had problems all the time, but I still used them before I went to Dish.

ill say this. i have yet to replace any hopper or joey, and no doa's either. i replace like 4 722's a week, granted some of these have been in for years. the only thing that really bothers me is the hoppers 'fickleness' with internet. some conect some dont.
as far as your question dare2be, it makes no sense at all to me. ptat block dies? what does that mean. ptat worked great, but i chose to turn it off because i just dont watch that much local programming.
you lose a tuner everynight but...yet get autohop.

People seem to be missing my point. I understand the nature of having bugs on a new system, it's inevitable. Annoying little bugs I can deal with, but when any reported bugs involve the loss of recordings (which is the crux of having a DVR), I can't call it as reliable as a system that doesn't lose recordings. Loss of recordings is a deal-breaker for me. I'm not talking about which is older technology or which has features the other doesn't. The statement "Hopper is more reliable than the 722" is the only point I'm arguing.

People seem to be missing my point. I understand the nature of having bugs on a new system, it's inevitable. Annoying little bugs I can deal with, but when any reported bugs involve the loss of recordings (which is the crux of having a DVR), I can't call it as reliable as a system that doesn't lose recordings. Loss of recordings is a deal-breaker for me. I'm not talking about which is older technology or which has features the other doesn't. The statement "Hopper is more reliable than the 722" is the only point I'm arguing.
Are you speaking from experience as a hopper owner or just what you read on the forums?

It doesn't happen very often and it's all PTAT related. Not general recording issues. It's not as big of an issue as you make it sound.

Last edited:
Are you speaking from experience as a hopper owner or just what you read on the forums?

It doesn't happen very often and it's all PTAT related. Not general recording issues. It's not as big of an issue as you make it sound and most people aren't experiencing it.
Not just PTAT...posted just today:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...-recording-playbak-fine?p=3013347#post3013347

Regardless of how infrequent it is, it is still more frequent than on a 722, ergo, not more reliable.

Last edited:
separate issue and specific to people who are using an EHD to transfer recordings from their old receivers over to the hopper hard drive.

Easy thing to do is just leave your content on the EHD and no recordings will be lost. Or move over content in small groups and test the files after they've been moved to see if the content is moving over properly. Could be a deal breaker to some and obviously it should get fixed. I would also say that those posts could be in a very small minority. It's a handful of posts. Hard to gauge how serious of an issue it is.

Last edited:
1) Either box from Dish will without a doubt be better than your current setup.

2) Personally switching from a 722 to a Hopper setup, I am satisfied and wouldn't consider looking back. My brother has a 722 setup and every time I use them I'm reminded of how much better the Hopper truly is. Sure it has its quirks (none I've experienced personally), but the pros far outweigh the cons. The 722 had its share of growing pains as well, as does every system.

Go with a Hopper, I don't think you will regret it.

sparc said:
separate issue and specific to people who are using an EHD to transfer recordings from their old receivers over to the hopper hard drive.

Easy thing to do is just leave your content on the EHD and no recordings will be lost. Or move over content in small groups and test the files after they've been moved to see if the content is moving over properly. Could be a deal breaker to some and obviously it should get fixed. I would also say that those posts could be in a very small minority. It's a handful of posts. Hard to gauge how serious of an issue it is.

Seriously... That issue isn't even relevant to the OP seeing as he's not coming from an older Dish receiver. I personally have tons of recordings from 722k on EHDs that play back just fine on Hopper. Not really much point in putting the recordings on the Hopper drives as that would fill them up. Plus I don't want to risk losing them. It's not unusual in the computer industry to have compatibility issues between different software versions.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Yeah I'm not particularly interested in DVR's that aren't capable of sharing video, otherwise I may as well just stay with what I have now because there would be no benefit in switching.

have not seen any case of lost recordings yet...sd I dsid, no hoppers replaced by me. I do about28 jobs per week.
but choose as you will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)