Considering the switch from Dish for sports...but what do I lose?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I know the pricing will be similar, but it really irks me that Dish doesn't offer full time HD RSNs or ESPNU in HD. I know DirecTV has more sports in HD so that is the main draw.

But before I commit, I'm really wanting to find out some things from people who have had both services:

1) What will I *lose* going from Dish Network to DirecTV channel-wise? Are there many HD channels on Dish that are not on DirecTV?

2) What about equipment? I currently have 3 HD DVRs (a 722k and two 612s). Does the whole-home DVR solution work well? Can I get it for 3 locations? Do they all share a single hard drive or do all of the receivers have hard drives that they share out with the others? I'm concerned about capacity. How nice is the guide compared to Dish's?

Basically, I don't want to have buyer's remorse, but I'm sick of not getting the HD sports I want on Dish. Any comments/opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

On a related note, has anyone put together a spreadsheet comparing which HD channels are offered on the two competing services? I'm just paranoid about switching for sports but losing some HD channels that I watch frequently.

I know the pricing will be similar, but it really irks me that Dish doesn't offer full time HD RSNs or ESPNU in HD. I know DirecTV has more sports in HD so that is the main draw.

But before I commit, I'm really wanting to find out some things from people who have had both services:

1) What will I *lose* going from Dish Network to DirecTV channel-wise? Are there many HD channels on Dish that are not on DirecTV?

i didnt notice anything, but there are some, just not ones i watched much, i noticed more the stations that dish had dropped

2) What about equipment? I currently have 3 HD DVRs (a 722k and two 612s). Does the whole-home DVR solution work well? Can I get it for 3 locations? Do they all share a single hard drive or do all of the receivers have hard drives that they share out with the others? I'm concerned about capacity. How nice is the guide compared to Dish's?

each dvr has its own hd, and they allow other recievers to view thier recordings
they also only record 2 streams at once

Basically, I don't want to have buyer's remorse, but I'm sick of not getting the HD sports I want on Dish. Any comments/opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

dont be afraid, its nice over here, i dont regret it at all

So when you said "they also only record 2 streams at once" you are saying that they work like the current Dish DVRs? I can watch one thing while it is recording another? And that is per DVR, correct? So I could theoretically record 6 things simultaneously if I had 3 DVRs with DirecTV just like with Dish? But of course, with DirecTV I can watch things from the other DVRs.

So when you said "they also only record 2 streams at once" you are saying that they work like the current Dish DVRs? I can watch one thing while it is recording another? And that is per DVR, correct? So I could theoretically record 6 things simultaneously if I had 3 DVRs with DirecTV just like with Dish? But of course, with DirecTV I can watch things from the other DVRs.

yes, you can watch 1 thing why somthing is recording

on dish you can record 3 or more streams at a time, 2 sat and 1 or 2 ota if you have ota modules

Great--I had not found that comparison. So it looks like I'd be giving up (afa what my wife or I watch): DIY, E!, TruTV and some HBOs in HD. The others aren't a big deal. But I would be gaining these in HD: ESPNU, ESPN News, Fox Sports SW, MLB Network, some Showtimes.

The offerings are pretty darned close. I've just got to decide if the trade-offs are worth it.

You have to make a choice. You already know what sports Dish does not have, Direct has basically all of them if you don't count some internationally available sports on Dish.

Yes, you will lose several HD channels with Direct, my last count was about 15, then gain a few that Dish does not have, lose more if Disney comes back. I have used receivers from both, Dish is still better imo, but the HR24 (If you can Direct to give you one) is not bad. I have no experience with the whole house, but overall from reading posts it works quite well. You need a DVR at each location if you want full pause, etc.., but if not a DVR, you can record what you are watching and then pause, just can't pause live. Obviously if you do not have a DVR at each location, you can only record on the one main DVR receiver.

Don't let anyone tell you one picture quality is that much different than the other. Again, I see each often, Direct might have a slight edge if you have a very large screen TV, in that it appears to me to be somewhat less soft. But SD on Dish to me might have an edge. Again, I would not get one over the other based on picture quality. You started your thread complaining about sports, I am assuming that is important to you. If you can live without the 15 or so channels in HD, you should get Direct.

If you like sports then it is worth it. Chances are D* will add the other channels in HD long before Dish gets better with their sports packages. Just look at what Dish has done as of late in a huge market like NY. We lost MSG and SNY, and never did have Yes network. D* and cable have all of those channels.

Great--I had not found that comparison. So it looks like I'd be giving up (afa what my wife or I watch): DIY, E!, TruTV and some HBOs in HD. The others aren't a big deal. But I would be gaining these in HD: ESPNU, ESPN News, Fox Sports SW, MLB Network, some Showtimes.

The offerings are pretty darned close. I've just got to decide if the trade-offs are worth it.

Directv is adding the last 2 HBOs on 5/25, HBO Comedy and HBO Latino.

Curtis0620 said:
Directv is adding the last 2 HBOs on 5/25, HBO Comedy and HBO Latino.

I think they are adding one or two Cinemax channels on 5/25 as well. MoreMax I think on that date. Then in June, I have read, it is rumored they are to add 5StarMax, ThrillerMax, WMax, and ActionMax.

David
I know I've posted this before in the Dish area when you asked but if I remember right you're in Texas somewhere. All the RSN's in TX/OK are in HD. So if you get the Rangers and Astros both will be in HD. One night there were 4 games in the DFW/Houston area and all were in HD
Rangers on FS SW
Spurs (I think) on FS SW+
Astros on FS Houston
Stars on a alt (carried OTA I think) and was in HD

Also the Rangers OTA station (21 I think??) is in HD too

If you want it for sports in HD....even your local team....switching is worth it in my opinion. Its nice to not worry if its in HD, SD, JIP'd or what. I turn on (in my case) 668 and there it is in HD...the Twins (even thought they seem to always be losing) ;)

Here is a link to see what teams you'll get
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=3450006
another thing is the part time RSN's (FS Houston, Utah, Wisconsin) are at the same spot..no "on channel 666 today and 669 tomorrow and 688 Friday"...same channel each day

If you are into hockey, the Direct Center Ice package has far more HD broadcasts than Dish -- and the price is the same...

If you are into hockey, the Direct Center Ice package has far more HD broadcasts than Dish -- and the price is the same...

Yes, you beat me to this post ;).

OP, if Sports is your priority, it's an easy call. DirecTV is the way to go.

Sports is also my priority but I get enough movie channels with DirecTV as well. I've never considered Dish as a choice.

Sports is my priority too. So as soon as the Lake Charles locals are turned on by D*, I will leave Dish for the HD sports.

I can tell you this for sure. In our market (Cincinnati) the Reds games are ALL in HD (if FOXCin provides them) on D*... VERY few are in HD on E*. You may want to check in your market. :cool:

FS Cincy & FS Ohio are the only 2 RSN's on D* that are "game time" only. The rest are in HD 24/7
The "part time RSN's" like FS Wisco, Indiana, Utah, Houston the pro games are in HD all the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.