Contest: Enter to Win a GEOSATpro microHD STB and SL1PLL LNBF - Ends 5/31/2013 Midnight PDT

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
My favorite and biggest summer was when I was a kid and visiting and staying with my grandparents. At the time (middle 60') very poor people and not to many technology around. No electricity, no tv, no hot water and everything was cooked using wood. Everything was so special and those time were great!!!;)

The Summer of Love

I grew up in Western Montana and every summer was a real vacation. It was the best place to grow up. But none compare to the summer of 1968, my first love :luvlove: I don't remember anything else from that summer it seems.

My fondest summer memories were as a child in the mid 1980, when my parents had a camp on Squirrel Island. I have so many fond memories of going to camp and spending time with my parents and brother and sister. Camp is where I learned to tie my own fishing lures, learned how to drive my first outboard motor, and how to swim. We used to go fishing every day for lake trout, and we were always in search of "the big one". Makes me wish I was still a child, and I could go fishing all day, every day. :)

We lived on a small farm in sw Virginia in the 1950s. One summer, I spent time sitting in the upper branches of a tall pine tree, looking out over the small valley where the creek wound past our back hay pasture behind our home. It was a very calm and peaceful time.

When I was fifteen I started working in the hay fields for $0.50 per hour for my uncle. It was difficult learning, but the eating was always good. I would take hay bales directly from the baler and stack it on a wagon. After the wagons were full we would stack it either in the feeders inside the barn for the cattle, or in a roofed shed to protect the hay for the winter. There was limited air moving in the barn inside the automatic feeders, which went all the way to the barn ceiling and we would fill both as full as possible. Which would probably last several months feeding the cattle. It was always conducive to a good nights sleep after a hot, humid day of work that may last as long as 9 PM.

My fondest memories was my brother in law taking me fishing. I was very young and was a lot of trouble but he took me every time he went. He has Alzheimer's disease now. He doesn't remember
anymore, but I do. I always will.

Gray1

One of my favorite summer memories is when my family packed up the skamper pop up camper and drove from North Dakota to Banff Canada, camping along the way. Beautiful scenery up there eh? We kids had our bikes with, and rode all around the campgrounds we stayed at. We can laugh about it now, but was sort of scary how close my mom got to take a photo of a black bear that was wondering through one campsite going through trash cans!

Summer for me was a lot of work on the farm. Dad would make a list each day and expect it done when he returned from work. Cutting 18 acres of Canadian Thistles kept us busy as did weeding the garden but we always found time to sneak away for some fun time at the river.

One of my favorite summers was when my family and I went out to BC and came back trough the upper US with a car and tent trailer. We got stuck out on a bush road on Vancouver Island, went crabbing and swam in the ocean among other things.

Memories from an earlier time. So true it be that it's wished they could still be.
Family vacations to visit with all the cousins, uncles and aunts that live so far. Fathers side on the west coast or moms side in Wisconsin. Then there's always fishing. the local river, or family outing for a week at BIG lake(LOW).
One memorable event was the ride down coliseum hill. Biggest hill around without trees. The homemade cart, at an atrocious speed going down the massive hill , disintegrating under me. The last half of the journey was on my backside sliding over parts. Nails, wood, odds and ends. It wouldn't have been too bad except one cut required stitches and it required mom to call Doc. Again. (Yeah it was his nickname) He actually put quite a few stitches in me during my younger years.

Last edited:
My mother was one of a baker's dozen of kids, so I had lots of aunts, uncles and a LOT of cousins. Most every summer we would have a reunion at the lake near my mom's childhood home. It was a great relief from the Texas heat every time we had the reunion at the lake. My cousins and I would just about live in that lake until our parents practically dragged us out. I can remember sitting in the dark at the camp site, eating hot dogs as supper just before crashing into the cot for a great night's sleep. Those times pretty much came to an end when I was 14 because one of my cousins drown on a church outing to a different lake. Out of respect to his parents the family reunions were not held near water for almost 7 years, by then I was in college, although we were all older, we still had a blast playing in the water.

I still remember that time my parents packed us up in the motorhome and we spent the whole summer driving from Alabama to Alaska and back. The Alaska Highway was dirt and mud most of the way, and they let me drive part of it. We walked on a glacier.

my favorite summer memory is attending baseball games at the local minor league park. While the internet has made it easier to watch more action of my local team, there is nothing like occasionally going to a game in person and getting to see more of the things about the game of baseball that are out of the field of view of a camera -- or witness the game speed that seems to be diminished on video and get a better awe of the ability of these athletes who are a heartbeat away from the major leagues!

In summer, I'd set up a tent and move outdoors. Twilight lasted past 10pm in June, so I'd sneak away and wander the streets with my friends. Streets were gravel at the time and very few cars were out in such a small town.

my fav summers was always visiting my grandparents ..... back on the old farm lots to do. most all of it was outdoors lol :) no cell phones back then not much tv either and far from town :) so with these things involved we had to make our own fun ..... the vivid memory of grandma making chocolate gravy with a pat of butter and a slice of bacon :)

My favorite summer memory: I was born and raised in Frankenmuth Michigan. My father worked at the Carling Black Label brewery. Every summer they had a big party for their employees, and took over for a day the "Pine Ridge Amusement park" located south of town. EVERYTHING was free that day, food, rides, and entertainment. Most of the boys stood in line a large part of the day to ride the go-karts over and over. There were many other rides also.

The kids couldn't wait for this party to come around every year!

pine ridgeOld_Ad.jpg

pine ridge ticket_office.jpg

Here's the old go-kart track:
pine ridge old go-kart_track.jpg

Here's a pic of the brewery when it still existed:

carling.JPG

One of my favorite memories was camping in the mountains with my dad and my brother. We spent many hours fishing, hiking, and just having a good time hanging out together.

Best times were heading east to the Whiteshell Provinvial Park when I was a kid back in the early 70's. Stayed in a cabin on the lake for a couple of weeks each year. Made lots of friends I still know till this day. The good old days!! :)

My favorite memories of summer all involve getting up early in the morning before my parents woke up, eating a quick breakfast, running out the door with my fishing gear in hand. Once in a while, I would break a rod when the screen door closed too fast, but I usually made it out the door safely. Once out the door, I would jump on my bicycle and ride a few miles to my favorite fishing spot at "the pond." I would spend the whole day fishing and goofing off at the pond with my friends. It was a rare day where a fish was not caught. On lucky days we would land a giant bass or a big yellow bullhead, but a normal day was catching a ton of bluegills and some carp. When the sun started to set, I would pedal back home as fast as possible trying to beat the "mom yell" directed at the kids when it got too dark outside to see. I usually made it home before the yell, but I always regretted it when I didnt.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)