Contest: Enter To Win by Telling a Story! S2 Digital Satellite Meter w/Spectrum Analyzer from Satell

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We were poor immigrants when I was a kid and moved often. I was always the new kid on the block and didn't have a lot of friends. I went to most of the grade schools in town at one time or another. During my 8th grade year the boys were required to take shop class for half a year. The school I was at didn't have the facilities so we went to a nearby school for that class. It was my favorite class in school. I got to make neat stuff and use power tools. I was a man in his element. Well as luck would have it, we moved in the exact middle of the school year. My new school was taking shop the second half of the year and like the previous school took the class at another school, the same one I had just finished the class in. I had the same teacher and shop for an entire year! Well in my second class I had no requirements and was allowed to do anything I wanted. I truly had won the lottery!! A shop full of tools and nothing to stop me! Lamps, tables , gunracks ,ashtrays, motors and lots more. School was great at last.

First day of school my Freshman year I came from a Lutheran school to the Public High School. I sat down in the little folding table top desks and someone sat in front of me and behind me. I felt like they were both sitting on my lap; they felt so close. Previous year we had 30 kids and own desk with non attached chair an a lot of room. I was very nervous with the transition. A week later, desks hadn't moved, everyone felt a comfortable distance and I never looked back. I enjoyed High School but I would not have admitted it then. I just wish I would have applied myself to academics back then. My wife was a high school teacher and they used to talk about the students how they were in class and how some could be really good if they put some effort into school work. When I hear the teachers talk, the only thing I can think of is, What did my teachers in high school say about me?

I remember the year I entered high school. The school was a lot bigger than the junior high school so I wasn't familiar with it as far as the layout was. A coupla of friends and me was outside and the bell was already rung. To avoid the tardy bell we frantically dashed into the nearest door. While going thru this room we noticed there was all girls and they gave us a hard look. When we went into the hallway, we were found out we dashed thru the girls bathroom! We didn't see anything, but imagine how red our embarrassed faces was...

Well growing up in a region that has only 2 seasons, it will be safe to say there is no Fall, but Dry and Rainy seasons. I usually walk the short distance to my school every school day. Well it was a bright Monday morning, birds chirping, and the early morning sun caressing my skin as it enriched my body with the needed Vitamin D. It was about 7:50am This was the day, I dreamed was going to be special to me. Not because I was going to my newly promoted class. Not to meet my old class mates, but to finally meet the newest girl in our community who had returned from overseas (England) with her parents and was going to be in my class. Before today, I had actually ran into her at a village gathering, and somehow she noticed me. There and then I was dreamy eyed! Hey she said, what is your name? .........I was speechless not because of the lack of words, but because I couldn't understand a single word she uttered. The she said it again more deliberately, mimicking our local ascent of spoken English. What is you name? Oh, I said, my name is Babadem! Oh, "Bobudum" she said. No I said Babadem. By this point all my friends were open mouthed, looking with interest at both of us. She told me that her parents had returned home after so many years in England and they were back home for good. To cut a long story short, she told me she was going to attend the same school as me and I later found out we were going to be in the same class. So this Monday Morning, I was well dressed. My school uniform was well ironed and crisp ready to see my lovely friend. As I walked pass the large pot hole filled with dirty flood water from the rain, I thought I heard a car speeding towards me from behind. Still day dreaming, I was awoken by a BIG SPLASH of dirty muddy water that splashed on my entire body. Almost immediately, I heard sudden screeching of tires as the car came to a quick stop. Out ran a man, apologizing profusely to me. Are you alright, Son, he asked. I answered, yes, Sir! In a low but sweet voice, she said, Oh my God! Dad! That's the boy I was telling you and Mom about! My friend's dad offered to give me a ride back to my house to get a change of cloths to which, I gladly accepted. He later dropped his daughter and I to school that morning. That was the beginning of a great friendship between the young girl and me.

I guess the most memorable back-to-school season for me was in the Fall of 1979. I was ten years old. Just as school was starting, I developed an interest in an abandoned neighborhood movie theater down the street from my house. As Halloween approached, my interest in the place grew, and I soon started to collect motion picture equipment such as projectors and cameras. Moviemaking technology became my lifelong pursuit. Indeed, I probably would not be a member here on SatelliteGuys if it hadn't been for that place and time in my childhood.

well,,,,,,
back a long, long time ago and not too far away ;) in my sophomore year of high school i had a teacher i hated and the class was right after lunch, so i laid out and came in late a lot and ended up failing his class.
i ended up having to make it up in summer school
well, that made me mad, and i tried every way i could to get out of it.
one day i brought a lamp cord that i had tied the wires together on and plugged it in trying to kick the breaker to get some time out of class.
in retrospect, that was a stupid move and could have killed me if something went wrong, but i was a teenager and knew everything there was to know at that time (somehow, it seems i must have forgotten most of it since then....:confused:;))
but it worked beautifully,,,, well, sort of.
i remember that the lights went out and started to flash back on 3 times and then went out for good.
they just put us in another room though:rolleyes:
seems i should have anticipated that move:doh:
like i said, it was summer school, so there were plenty of empty classrooms.:facepalm
when i graduated 2 years later, they still had not gotten the power straightened out and just used that room for storage!!!

My parents were always wanting our family to eat reasonably healthy food (not a bad idea in hindsight). So the only time we got "sugared" cereals (Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, etc.) was on the first day of school. Because of this, we always looked forward to the first day of school....

After 8 years of Parochial Grammar School I was happy to go to a public high school even if it was a trade school and was mentioned in the book “Blackboard Jungle.” The freshman year of high school you were assign 4 shops; one a quarter, I had auto shop, wood working shop, sheet metal shop and radio and TV shop. I loved radio and TV shop and in my first class we were taught how to do military wiring. We took tube sockets and terminal strips and mounted them on a board and wired the tube socket to the terminal strip. When I turned in my project the teacher gave me a hundred and told me that I could take the test and become a 3rd class wireman. Talk about encouragement. Something I did not get after 8 years of Parochial school.

I also had to build a crystal radio and it worked great, I use to fall a sleep with the headset on listening to Allen Freed’s Rock & roll Radio Show. In my senior year I was taking the RF communication class and I obtain my Ham Radio License, which I still have after 53 years. I fell in love with anything radio I became a shortwave listener, police scanner listener, and finding FTA rounded out my radio hobbies.
mikelib

The thing that sticks out most about school was the bus ride where my brother was a senior in high school and I was 4 years younger and because I carried a book bag to school I had to sneak on the bus a couple of beers for the big kids to drink at the back of the bus on the way to school. Never did I realize the trouble I would get in if I got caught with those in there. My brother must never a cared or just thought I would never get caught. I also had a small plastic bag that they put the crushed cans in after drinking so when put in in the trash on the bus they wouldn't be noticed. I was just a dumb 8th grader at the time, I did what my big brother told me to do. Never got caught though.

When I was in 4th grade I had a new bus driver...I started school early so this was just before my 9th birthday and she was 17 and starting her senior year in high school. Now back in this day the buses were driven by high school students. They were employed by the county Dept of Education so this was part time work for them. This new driver was a very pretty lady, and us boys would rib each other that "I have the prettiest bus driver...no "I" have the prettiest bus driver," and on and on. I don't know if I had a "crush" on her or not, but I did "admire" her from afar. She didn't live too far from me, and after she graduated she got married. As I got older I would see her occasionally driving a hot car. One was a 280Z and then I remember a Corvette that belonged to her brother. She later divorced her husband and moved away.

What ever happened to her you may ask? Well to make a long story short, she moved back to the area about 12 years ago, and amid lots of things taking place, she is now Mrs. ACRadio!!! :D

Can you imagine looking in the rear view mirror of that school bus full of students and suddenly thinking..."someday I'm going to marry that snotty nosed brat in the 4th row..." :)

That's a loooooong way back to be rememberin' !!

I remember how I loved to read! I read any and everything I could get my hands on.
The boys would pick on me because the teacher would always have me read stories to the class. I would draw everyone into the story, I would use tone and inflection with the skill level of an adult. I had the best reading and speaking skills in the class. But the other kids (mostly the boys) would struggle to bleat out sentences, they sounded like broken down, monotone robots.. :(

Just think of Judy Hensler on Leave to Beaver. That was me, except I wasn't a tattle-tale like her. Or as bold as her.. :eek:

I always loved to learn, learn, learn!

(I didn't mean to pick on the boys there, they all turned out alright in the end. :) )

Now I sure would love to learn about using that nifty new S2 meter! :D
I would also be thrilled to write up a detailed review, I have many S2 woes and I've been eyeing one such meter as this one. :)

When I was in school I had a special talent. I could make siren sounds with my voice. I could do every kind of siren you can think of. Police cars, fire trucks, even the fire truck air horn. I would even reproduce the doppler effect of the siren getting closer and changing frequency and getting louder as it passed by.
I use to make my siren sounds on the bus in the morning on the way to school. I wouldn't do it very often only about once a month or so. EVERY time I did it the bus driver would pull over to let the "Emergency vehicle" pass. I remember him franticly looking around to find the "police car". Even though he didn't see one of course he always slammed on the brakes when the "police car was "passing" the bus.

I was in the band and I pulled this trick on many different drivers on the way to contests or football game halftime shows and it worked EVERY time. The bus service even put out a notice to warn it's drivers about me but I still fooled them every time.

Years later I was talking with one of the bus drivers and he told me that every time I pulled that prank he was "sure" it was me but he couldn't take the chance so he always pulled over!

I went to a rather large school district that included dozens of towns and villages. I always looked forward to school and didn't miss a single day from 5th grade to graduation. I think I picked up my style of handwriting from my drafting and mechanical drawing industrial arts classes. I have been into electronics since about 10 and learned the basics skills of soldering and using multimeters to trace circuits, vacuum tube testing and circuit building projects there. Those types of classes inspired me to be what I am today. I hope they still offer such opportunities today.

Thanks for the contest, Brian.

I have 2 stories from school. One very sad and one very funny. I'd rather tell you the funny one. When I was at 1st year Intermediate school (French Education System) I was kinda rebel. Always made fun of someone. One day, I discovered some chocolate laxatives sold at a local Pharmacy (Drug store). I bought one and I decided to prank some classmates.

The second morning I came early before class and met my two victims. We chatted a little then I offered each classmate a piece of chocolate. In the afternoon, the 2 classmate felt an urgent rush to go to the washroom. Luckily the teacher let them go :) They went and come back very late. They stayed in the washroom around 20 min. The teacher got upset and decided not to let them into class. He gave them timeout and they had to stand outside next to the class door. It was summer and the class door was open. Every 5-10 min the classmates would run back to the washroom :) The whole class knew the story and all would laugh when they see them go and come back. The teacher noticed something is weird and demanded explanations. Eventually, he got the truth from another classmate and I was sent to the school principle for interrogation. The first question was: Where the hell did you get this Chocolate? :)

Of course, I had to face disciplinary measures... But do you think I stopped at this? Of course not. The second time I used chewing gum laxatives. Let me tell you this, it was far more effective and quicker than chocolate :)

BTW, every time I meet one of my old classmates he'd remind me of this unforgettable story... It was the talk of the town!

To Be Continued... If I win :)

I lived in a rural school district so my memories of school involve long rides on the school bus. Usually 45 mins to school and another 45 mins back. I can remember listening to my portable "walkman" tape player on the long bus ride. Most likely it was blasting Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Pink Floyd or Meatloaf. Later when I was a senior in High School I finally got car and would drive that, this time blasting CDs though a portable CD player to Car tape deck adapter... oh Yeah!

No wonder my hearing is so bad now

I had the wildest bus driver imaginable. She chain smoked Salem's, and she couldn't smoke while the kids were on the bus, but we were the first stop, and every morning she flicked that last butt out the side window when she opened the door to pick us up. We were wild on that bus, listened to all kinds of Heavy Metal ( this was the late 80's), ate and drank on the bus, usually that was a no no....nobody could figure out why we liked riding that bus so much because all the other bus drivers were strict...LOL...

AH the memories....LOL

Had to drag myself miles to just get to the bus thru snow drifts 15 ft deep in the winter. Had to push thru sandstorms so thick that one couldn't see their hand in front of their face. Both are true to some extent but how much is up to your imagination. I'll never tell; even if you put me under water torture. Hey I'm going to be working on a book before long I've got work on the BS. Rules didn't say it had to be true just a school story: and boy was all of this a story.:D

I remember the first day of small motor repair class in high school. The teacher started the class by tossing small parts to each of the students and asking them if they knew what each one was. I had already caught my part, a valve spring, when I looked up and saw this shiny little tin can go by my head to the kid siting behind me. I was wondering what it was until the kid caught it and hollered some colorful words and dropped it. It turned out the teacher was well known for playing practical jokes on his students and he had charged up a condensor for the ignition system before tossing it. It discharged on the student that caught it. That was a great way to learn to respect high voltage. I learned a lot about small engine repair in this class, but more important, I found I had a knack for pulling off a good practical joke.

When I was in school we had this crazy bus driver we called "ZZ" because...well he had the full ZZ Top thing going with the long hair, long beard and the "cheap" sunglasses

Also in elementary school I hated when the bus schedule would come out because there was a 50% chance we had the long ride. We lived in the country so if you were 1st on the bus it was a good hour on the bus. What sucked is some years we were the last ones off :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)