Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
Looks like we're having a contest shoot-out for the FTA users. - :up
That doesn't mean I would discriminate against SatGuy non-FTAers.
Heck, let 'em learn what we already know.

Thinking back to the Xmas drawings, there were a lot of unruly kids who were not active members.
They were just here for the prizes. That irritated me.
Are our contests listed as freebie prizes at SlickDeals and FatWallet sites?
I sure hope not.

In general, it would be nice to limit entry into these drawings and contests to members who signed up prior to the start of that particular contest.
You could argue other criteria, such as number of posts or anything else.
But just minor limitation at all, would weed out strangers.

Could we have discussion on this idea?

I think ultimately, the Rules of a Contest should be left up to the Benefactor of the Contest. Provided the Benefactor or the Beneficiary(ies) doesn't break any Forum Rules. I would think that the purpose of the Contest is to expose the Benefactors Store for a possible increase in Sales? Not for a Great Deal for a few Insiders...?

My thought is if someone is willing to sponsor/donate items for a contest - let them make the rules. I am just thankfull there is a chance, however slight it may be that I could win something. But Anole, I know what you mean by folks signing up at the last minute. But, the ultimate goal of a contest (not just here) is to promote an item or location, etc.

agreed 100% with the above 2

If someone who doesn't have FTA (for whatever reason...they dont think its for them, not alot of money, etc) wins then they have the opportunity to see what FTA is all about :)

I know I lurked here for almost 2 years off and on before I made the jump. I was not fully educated in FTA, and as such thought it sounded too good to be true, so I hesitated. Man I am sooo glad I finally made the jump!

Yes, if the give-away is intended to draw in the general public, and promote a product or a company, then "open to all" makes a lot of sense.
And I was only mentioning a very minor limitation as a suggestion to those offering prizes.

However, a general public give away might well be promoted on their own web site, if it's actually intended for the public.
When the stated (I won't quote anyone) intent is a promo for SatelliteGuys, and offered on the SatelliteGuys web site, then the implication is that it's not a public free-for-all.

I'm not planning to make a big stink about this.
It certainly is up to the company making the promotion.
If it's their intention to attract the general public, so be it.
Was just asking for a bit of clarification.

However, a general public give away might well be promoted on their own web site, if it's actually intended for the public.
When the stated (I won't quote anyone) intent is a promo for SatelliteGuys, and offered on the SatelliteGuys web site, then the implication is that it's not a public free-for-all.
I'm sure to them, SatelliteGuys is seen as another outlet for promotion. Just like a Newspaper or Radio/TV Commercial. Only this way it's less expensive and they have the potential to reach over 100,000 people. Not a bad idea in my book.
And maybe they have done this from there Website, or there own Forum, if they have one, a lot of Website Stores do. Not to mention, it helps SatelliteGuys in possibly adding New Members, if they joined just for the Contest, and hopefully they'll stay around and contribute to the Forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts