Continuing problems with Dish receivers

I've had my Hopper for about 9 months now and one problem continues after the last upgrade. When I try and transfer to my EHD my menu choice to transfer ends at the letter P. When I go to Date I still only get about 50% of the transferrable recordings. I've spoken to Dish several times and they say they will send it to Tech. It's been quite awhile since I was told that.

Could be. I've had exactly the same problem with 3 different Hoppers installed by Dish technicians. Its a subtle software problem not some random glitch in the operation of the box.
Well, I hope you get it fixed and let us know what the culprit was that caused the issue. I still think you should ground your dish and coax cables, static might be the problem.

Reactions: AZ. and KAB
I have seen issues with power particularly the DVR's. Try plugging directly into the outlet without any multiplier splitters or power strips or anything.

I suspect power problems AND a bad connection somewhere. Which might travel to any DirecTV setup, unless they run all new cables and the power is ok.

Yes and its not a strip, just a "multiplier" into the wall socket. It has no function other than to supply power to the sockets.
This would seem to affirm an electrical/system problem. I've seen tjis a number times. As a subdcriber for at least as long with yoy and with 6 boxes and EVERY generation of box ever offered along with many msny upgrades, I've not evet come close the scale of ypur problem (even woth the buggy 721), but I have more than a few times have found problems as yours due to home wiring or elecrtical or devices such as outlet multipliers. This does not meam that some other deviced are also nrgativly affected because other devicrs have diffetent power supplies and are often far more simple than a DVR. However many DVR's can be affected because DVR's are alwayd processing, and your experience is the same as not only Dish DVR's but many TiVo's, as well. We hsve posts like yours at TiVo Forum and it is always wiring electrical home system problems. It is amazing how many homes and aparyments don't meet code and people expetince a device or 2 is funky, and it is the home, not the device.

Most of what you described sounds like software problems which won't be fixed by swapping boxes. The Hopper software is getting better with every new version and the recording bugs you mentioned should be gone in the next version. The Hopper is so incredibly complex with so many features and variables that it's amazing the software works as good as it does.

If you want to see some bugs go ahead and get a Genie from DirecTV. My wife uses one and two weeks ago it just decided it was going to delete half of her DVR timers. She was not happy. If it was a Hopper she could have restored the timers from a remote but DirecTV has no such feature. I could go on with several paragraphs about how the Hopper is better than the Genie so be careful when thinking the DirecTV grass is greener. :)

I switched to Directv in August. Coming from Dish, I greatly miss the Hopper with Sling. Yes it's cool I can record 5 shows at a time but the Hopper Guide is better. It's easier on the eyes, has channel logos and loved being able to restore the timers. Wife misses prime time any time, transferring shows to EHD and remote finder. The Genie isn't terrible but it's not the most advanced DVR ever like Directv Claims. We may just pay our ETF next August and go back to Dish. Only reason we switched was for $200 gift card deal . I get reminded weekly on how she could of done this or that if we still had Dish because the Genie can't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JSheridan
Something I've never got a straight answer on, for all the guys claiming that Dish receivers are sensitive to power issues: why?

Don't most modern devices use switching power supplies? Don't switching power supplies provide a constant output voltage regardless of input voltage, as long as the source provides enough amps?

Reactions: CalBear37
Something I've never got a straight answer on, for all the guys claiming that Dish receivers are sensitive to power issues: why?

Don't most modern devices use switching power supplies? Don't switching power supplies provide a constant output voltage regardless of input voltage, as long as the source provides enough amps?

All the technology in the world cant help , if there is improper wiring or grounding issues....As TVs get smarter we will hear of this also happening to them also....Not saying ops problem is in house, but it sure is suspect.... Grounding, good UPS system, and surge suppression are most important thing people ignore, or have no clue what they can do to protect there whole home....

Reactions: charlesrshell

It's very strange that these random intermittent static/power/whatever cause of the problems Always cause the Exactly the same software "error", a program becomes an Incorrect Event or Skipped by User. It doesn't delete timers, it doesn't record the wrong event, it doesn't cause dropouts in the video or audio it just makes the same change to the program schedule over and over again every week or two.

It's very strange that these random intermittent static/power/whatever cause of the problems Always cause the Exactly the same software "error", a program becomes an Incorrect Event or Skipped by User. It doesn't delete timers, it doesn't record the wrong event, it doesn't cause dropouts in the video or audio it just makes the same change to the program schedule over and over again every week or two.

Did you mention in an earlier post that you had the same issue for 15 years in two different homes? I can't find that info now.

Did you mention in an earlier post that you had the same issue for 15 years in two different homes? I can't find that info now.
Yes but it seems to be worse with the Hopper. I've learned to check the daily schedule often so I can try to correct the matter before it happens. Unfortunately there is another problem (in another thread) where you can't un-skip a program that the box has decided is a "incorrect event".

Yes but it seems to be worse with the Hopper. I've learned to check the daily schedule often so I can try to correct the matter before it happens. Unfortunately there is another problem (in another thread) where you can't un-skip a program that the box has decided is a "incorrect event".
Was your dish and coax grounded in your old home?

If that's the ONLY issue you report, they should NOT. IMO, the phone rep is wrong and simply does that to mark your call as "resolved".
:):) I hadn't thought of it that way. Their "50% of your problems can be resolved by rebooting the receiver" is the most ridiculous. That's like MicroSoft saying rebooting your computer will "fix" the problem that caused the blue screen of death. They never said that and fortunately the BSOD is pretty much gone.

However, sending a "new" refurbished receiver (with the same or different intermittent problems) is a close second. Actually it wasn't a phone tech this time but private messaging with (probably the same kind of tech) on their support forum.

Was your dish and coax grounded in your old home?
Yes, a real stake in the ground and very short cables with the dish close by the receiver. Its beginning to look like the main problem with skipped program recordings, as Hall said, is a known software issue. I expect there are issues with DirecTV too. Better the devil you know.... :)

However, sending a "new" refurbished receiver (with the same or different intermittent problems) is a close second. Actually it wasn't a phone tech this time but private messaging with (probably the same kind of tech) on their support forum.
You were likely dealing with the same DIRT people that are here.

A new/refurbished receiver will NOT solve the timer issue. No way around that and anyone, including DIRT who says so, is mistaken (unless this issue is fixed in the newest s/w version and the 'new' receiver receives it - your 'old' receiver will eventually too though). The other issues, while maybe not solved with a new box if there truly is an "electrical" issue in your home is kinda a roundabout way of pointing the blame at the installation, not the hardware. I've seen members -- usually the hit-and-run type -- who have an odd problem with a box, the replacement does too, and the 3rd replacement does. Mind you, 99% of other users do not have the same problem. What are the odds of this person receiving (3) "defective" receivers ? When a tech is finally sent out, they often find some obscure wiring problem (can even be in the coaxial wiring, not electrical) that solves it.

In my history of being a Dish retailer I have found that when a customer has multiple problems with multiple replaced receivers it's generally due to something else besides the receiver. The cause can be anything from a bad outlet, bad power strip, old cable, bad fittings, bad wall plates, system not grounded, etc...... This may not help solve the problem but it may help lead you in the right direction.

Yup and in those cases replace all the cable, lnb's and switches. A good battery backup surge protector can't hurt also.