Contract Renewal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bacardiator

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Hello,

My contract with DTV expired back in June. I'm on a month to month basis. I called the cancellation dept. yesterday and they offered me the following to renew for 1 year; $10 monthly credit for 12 months, additional $10 monthly credit for HD channels, and 3 free months of Showtime. I asked to see if I can get a free HD Dvr thrown in but they offered it for $99.
Is this a good deal? I think I could get better. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have 2 HD receivers at home. The first one I purchased from DTV directly when I first joined with them, the 2nd one, I purchased on my own from a friend that had gotten it from Best Buy. My question is, do I own both receivers or are they DTV property? When I called up, they told me if I was going to switch over to Dish or cable, that I would have to return them both to DTV. Is this correct?

Again, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

no. schedule a cut off date for like a month ahead of today. They will call you every night with better offers. I think they offered me all of that plus 200 - 300 bucks on my account to buy whatever equipment I wanted. Plus I forgot what else.

Hello,

My contract with DTV expired back in June. I'm on a month to month basis. I called the cancellation dept. yesterday and they offered me the following to renew for 1 year; $10 monthly credit for 12 months, additional $10 monthly credit for HD channels, and 3 free months of Showtime. I asked to see if I can get a free HD Dvr thrown in but they offered it for $99.
Is this a good deal? I think I could get better. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have 2 HD receivers at home. The first one I purchased from DTV directly when I first joined with them, the 2nd one, I purchased on my own from a friend that had gotten it from Best Buy. My question is, do I own both receivers or are they DTV property? When I called up, they told me if I was going to switch over to Dish or cable, that I would have to return them both to DTV. Is this correct?

Again, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

They MAY be Directv property. Call and ask if they are owned or leased.

Most probably your receivers are actually leased and not owned. DirecTV's receivers have been, with few exceptions, leased units since early 2006 so any "purchase" after then was actually an up front lease fee and not an outright buy of the unit. You'd have to double check with DirecTV to see how your units are registered with them. Just because one CSR says it's so or isn't so doesn't make it so.

As others have mentioned, Most receivers and DVRs are leased. You do pay an amount upfront for them, but they aren't owned. So you would need to return them if you cancel. They will send free shipping cartons to send them back.

I think the deal they are giving you is pretty good. You are getting roughly $355 worth of credits, which isn't bad at all. New customers get roughly $450 worth of credits ($21 discount x 12mo + free HD DVR $199). You have to decide if it’s worth canceling and going through another install. If you go with the NFL ST promo, the difference might be a bit more.

Keep calling until you get the NFL ST promo with Premier package

Word of advice, when and if you decide to have another box installed. See if you can't get the nice technician to peak out your dish for you, chances are he will have to do it anyways.

Thanks for all the replies.
What are the charges for the NFL ST promo with Premier package?
Is it for a couple of months first, then the package bumps up to regular price?

This is what my bill looks like now.

CHOICE XTRA Monthly 60.99
HBO Monthly 14.99
DIRECTV Protection Plan Monthly 5.99
HD Access Monthly 10.00
Plus 4 receivers 15.00
My total bill right now is about $108 a month.

With the new promo, what would the charges look like?

Thanks again.
trans.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
onepixelBlue.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
onepixelBlue.gif
trans.gif
trans.gif
onepixelBlue.gif
trans.gif
onepixelBlue.gif

Thanks for all the replies.
What are the charges for the NFL ST promo with Premier package?
Is it for a couple of months first, then the package bumps. With the new promo, what would the charges look like
onepixelBlue.gif
Here is what it would look like:

NFL ST 55.99 (For 5 mo's)
Premium Monthly 00.00 (includes all movie channels & sports pack)
DIRECTV Prot Plan 5.99
HD Access Monthly 10.00
Plus 4 receivers 15.00
DVR Service 00.00 (for 5 mo's)

And if you want the NFL games in HD, it would be $99 for SF. After the 5 mo promo, you could downgrade to your old package. Otherwise it will cost you about $146/mo + taxes for Premier with your current configuration. Keep in mind, you won't get any ongoing discounts after the 5 mo's is up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)