Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
OK, this is just geeky and cool. I can now control my HR24 using my iPod Touch. Not the DirecTV app. I mean, I have pretty much full control. Even so far as bringing up my recordings on the iPod and selecting something to watch. Changing channels using a number pad. Bringing up QuickTune with a navigation pad. All of it. My iPod becomes a remote for the HR24 but it's over the network instead of IR.

have a look at CommandFusion > iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and Web Browser Control for Home Automation Systems.

Device licenses are a bit pricey, but for free you can download the app and the GUI Designer and get at least as far as I have out of it. I got a license to see if I can take it farther. Can also be developed for the iPad.

Think of a big touch screen remote control where you can control the HR24 from anywhere that your wireless network reaches. :)

Attachments

• directvipod2.png
    directvipod2.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 316
  • directvipod.png
    directvipod.png
    68 KB · Views: 304
Do you need a beta tester for this?
This ability has been available for TiVo's for some time, so I was looking around feeling sure it should also be available for DirecTV DVRs and your post came up in the search. I will do the download you recommend to play around a bit too.

No, you don't need to be a beta tester. It's available. Without a license you'll basically get one portrait oriented page and one landscape. Which is really all you need for basic controls. Buying a license allows you to do more subpages and really get into it.

He was asking if YOU need a beta tester if you're developing something.. :)

Do you know if there's something similar out there for Android?

I have this app and that same template. It works, but it's very slow. I can't use the number keys unless I want a single digit channel number. By the time you are typing in a channel number, the entry times out.

Hopefully they will continue to refine it. 041a software sped things up a bit. But a lot of the delay might be in the iphone or this app.

I have this app and that same template. It works, but it's very slow. I can't use the number keys unless I want a single digit channel number. By the time you are typing in a channel number, the entry times out.

Hopefully they will continue to refine it. 041a software sped things up a bit. But a lot of the delay might be in the iphone or this app.

I mentioned the single number thing as well and here is what I got back:
"Turn off maintain constant connection in the directive system properties. This will prevent loading the playlist but your remote buttons will work better.

This glitch should be fixed in an upcoming iviewer release "

I'll probably give that a try tonight or tomorrow depending on whether or not I get time. I'm not sure how excited I am about this, but it's a fun toy and has potential.

There are also some IR apps. You buy an IR device for about $39 or $49 that goes into the docking port of your iPod or iPad, download an app, and now you're using IR. That might actually be more useful as it would control things other than just the HR24 (things that can't be controlled over IP). And cheaper as well (as opposed to a license for CommandFusion). I'm also wondering if the IR device would use less battery than keeping wireless on all the time on the iPod.

Where is "maintain constant connection in the directive system properties"? I can't find that option anywhere!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts