Controlling TV2 with TV1 Remote?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bas_java

Original poster
May 31, 2004
I finally figured out how to change the address and everything to get UHF remote to control TV1, but I can't seem to get TV2 to work with the other remote which is IR.

I also figured out how to change around the tabs without buying any kits or anything. The tab in TV1 remote is different than the one in TV2, if you take apart the remote you can remove it, and to put it in the other remote you have to take apart the remote and remove a little white tab that blocks the tab from going in.

bas_java said:
The tab in TV1 remote is different than the one in TV2, if you take apart the remote you can remove it, and to put it in the other remote you have to take apart the remote and remove a little white tab that blocks the tab from going in.

You really shouldn't remove that little white tab that "blocks the tab from going in." That white piece (in the TV2/UHF remote) is like a switch. It swings to the left or right and determines if the remote operates in UHF or IR mode. If you look at the attached picture, you'll see that the blue tab (that came from the UHF remote) has a V-shaped notch in it that the green tab (from the IR remote) doesn't have. That white piece you're talking about removing fits into that V-shaped notch and tells the remote which mode to operate in. And please don't forget, those remotes don't belong to you and if you break them Dish is going to charge you for it. Also, there's no way to get TV2 to operate off of an IR remote. Sorry.

Click thumbnail to enlarge.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 328
First of all, and "lets not forget" that I purchased the 522. Also if that little white thing acts as a switch then why does my remote still work with TV1??. humm.. I have had the little tabs switched for about 2 months now, and I have been fooling around the different addresses for a while now and without that "little switch" I have successfully controlled TV1 (IR) and TV2 (UHF) with the same remote. But thanks for answering my question about programming TV2 for IR.

bas_java said:
First of all, and "lets not forget" that I purchased the 522.

Now how was I supposed to know that? The 522 is lease only.

bas_java said:
Also if that little white thing acts as a switch then why does my remote still work with TV1??. humm..

Because it's now "stuck" on whatever mode you last had it on before you removed the white piece. If it's stuck on IR, it will only control TV1, and not TV2. If it's stuck on UHF, it will control either TV as long as you have UHF Pro enabled for TV1 - if you ever want to make the remote control TV1 via IR, you won't be able to.

bas_java said:
I have had the little tabs switched for about 2 months now, and I have been fooling around the different addresses for a while now and without that "little switch" I have successfully controlled TV1 (IR) and TV2 (UHF) with the same remote. (Emphasis added)

No you haven't. There's no way to switch between IR and UHF without that white piece. My guess is that you have the remote "stuck" in UHF mode and have UHF Pro enabled on TV1. Change TV1 to IR only in the system info screen and then tell me if the remote still works (on TV1, of course).

bas_java said:
But thanks for answering my question about programming TV2 for IR.

You're very welcome.

The DVR 522 is on sale at the Mooresville IN RadioShack for 249.99, which is $100 less than what I paid for it two months ago. (which kinda made me mad) Next, right before I replyed to your original reply I tested to make sure I could change between IR and UHF and I could, (without the little white thing). I don't know how to prove it to you, but I'm up for suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts