Convert eBooks to audiobooks?

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Is there a way to convert eBooks to audio format? I have a bunch of books in iTunes that I synced to my iPad. I would also like to listen to some of the books on my iPhone when I am riding my bike. Is there a way for me to do this without having to buy the same book again in audio format?

The local library has audio books for fee downloads, but their "library" is limited. Many of the books I have are not available for audio download. I also found some software converting apps, but it makes it sound like a computer is reading it.

I just wish iTunes would allows a purchased book to be available in both formats. Why should anyone have to pay twice for the same thing?

The local library has audio books for fee downloads, but their "library" is limited. Many of the books I have are not available for audio download. I also found some software converting apps, but it makes it sound like a computer is reading it.

I just wish iTunes would allows a purchased book to be available in both formats. Why should anyone have to pay twice for the same thing?

We do it all the time. Pay to download video; pay for the dvd; pay for CDs, pay for LPs, pay for Cassettes (ok, old example, but I can't tell you how many albums I have in multiple formats).

An Audio book is a performance of a written work. No computer can match the quality of a performance by a Stefan Rudnicki, Scott Brick, Frank Muller (RIP), or Gabrielle De Cuir. Of course you'll pay for it separately. I think the argument is weaker for the e-book vs. paperback; but even there we are in a strange environment where it is now often cheaper to just buy the real thing than it is to buy the digital version.

If you want audio books, then pony up some money for Audible.com. Great service. Huge library to choose from; mostly unabridged. High quality audio (in four quality streams you can pick to download). I have been a member for six or seven years. Spend a little more than $100 a year, and I get about 12 full unabridged audiobooks. I can't tell you how many great books I have listened to. Indeed, I have a 2 hour drive to nowhere this afternoon (beautiful Macomb, Illinois) and Audible will save me from sheer boredom.

We do it all the time. Pay to download video; pay for the dvd; pay for CDs, pay for LPs, pay for Cassettes (ok, old example, but I can't tell you how many albums I have in multiple formats).

An Audio book is a performance of a written work. No computer can match the quality of a performance by a Stefan Rudnicki, Scott Brick, Frank Muller (RIP), or Gabrielle De Cuir. Of course you'll pay for it separately. I think the argument is weaker for the e-book vs. paperback; but even there we are in a strange environment where it is now often cheaper to just buy the real thing than it is to buy the digital version.

If you want audio books, then pony up some money for Audible.com. Great service. Huge library to choose from; mostly unabridged. High quality audio (in four quality streams you can pick to download). I have been a member for six or seven years. Spend a little more than $100 a year, and I get about 12 full unabridged audiobooks. I can't tell you how many great books I have listened to. Indeed, I have a 2 hour drive to nowhere this afternoon (beautiful Macomb, Illinois) and Audible will save me from sheer boredom.

I have it too. For years I wanted to have the time to read again like I did when I was much younger. Audible is great as it is often, not always, voice acted. I compare it to a radio show. Best to catch a couple of chapters while driving. I have the audible on my smartphone and listen with the BT headset as I'm shopping or in a waiting room etc. The new android app is really nice. When a call comes in the app pauses the book and pickes up where it left off when I end the call. I'm in the 2 books a month plan.

I too think you will be disappointed with the result but there are sevral programs that accomplish this. convert e book to audio book - Google Search

Interesting thanks for the post.
I bought "She Who Must be Obeyed" a kindle for Christmas/Anniversary last year, its say's that it has the audio feature on it but most of the books we have on it won't work.:mad: :doh:
I wonder if Kindle for the PC will do the Audio of the books? :confused: :coffee

Last edited:
Have you listened to the audio version of "World War Z"? I downloaded it for free through overdrive and the local library. It is incredibly well done with some well known voices. It is about zombie's but even if you don't like zombies I think you'd like it.

My work is very repetitive so having audio to keep my brain busy is required. There are a few things I stream or download on a regular basis. "Alistair Begg", a radio ministry. "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.", an npr comedy gameshow. "Prairie Home Companion", an old time radio variety show.

Ended up using OverDrive APP and my LA County Library account to download MP3 books. Just downloaded "Atlas Shrugged" and it is over 62 hours long, and it takes up most of my phone. I have no room to put it on my phone unless I remove some of my music, photos, and/or videos. :D

Why should anyone have to pay twice for the same thing?
There's very little "the same thing" about books and audio books. An audio book is an interpretation of a conventional text. It would not be entirely unlike buying a ticket to a play and expecting to walk away with the movie version (or vice versa).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)