converting 10 ft dish to Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

62bird

Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
sw missouri
I just found this forum. This may be the dumbest question ever.
Is it possible to convert my 10 ft dish that was connected to NPS service to
Directv reception. I now am using Directv, but the smallest cloud blocks my signal
Would, if possible, the 10 ft dish be more immune to cloudy days?
Thanks for any help you may have
Steve
srodemyer@centurytel.net

Your dish is quite likely out of alignment if a cloud is enough to affect your signal. Can you post your signal strength numbers from all of the satellites?

If you're using the small 18 inch pizza pan and it's not working too well, look to maybe upgrade to a Slimline dish. You may get better results, as that one has a larger reflector.

Well, you could get a new LNB (circular polarization). But, then you'd be limited to the 101 sat.

But, the correct solution is to get your dish realigned.
And eventually, you'll want HD and then the dish would have to be replaced.

Round dishes are only good for one orbital slot like 101,If you want HD or local channels your going to need a slimeline or oval dish.:)

Multi-Sat.

10 foot Treasure

Steve never stated what dish he has.
i have had the 18inch and the newer ones.had a 18 in Ceveland Ohio, it can rain there for a month and i would not get a rain out. in really bad storms i was never out more than 2 hours that was 3 times in 8 years.
but i put it up myself and had to peak up other peoples too.
depends on the installer.
call DTV tell them, they will get it right.

do you have a clear view ?

that 10 footer is a Treasure pop over to the FTA forum and see what it can do with a cheap box.
good luck.

Directv reception. I now am using Directv, but the smallest cloud blocks my signal
Steve
srodemyer@centurytel.net

You might set up a prime focus antenna to view several satellites, as a matter of fact Oval-offset fed dishes/antennas are the most efficient area of a larger prime focus antena, first you need a solid antenna, your mesh might be to big for Ku-Ka band, solid antennas are most likely commercial grade, this might be justifiable in Fringe but if you're located in the CONUS (CONtinental US) beam there is no need to spend so much money and work, it's cheapper, easier, faster, and you'll spend less time researching.

I understand channel master has a gain master (35.3 inch X 26.2 inch), regular oval antenns are (18 inch X 20 inch) others might have up to (22.5 inch X 32.5 inch) you could look into it as an easier/smaller solution than a Prime Focus antenna.

Check it out:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=SACGAINCOMBO

Although it comes with regular LNB and sat c kit (101 W, 119W & 119) my guess is that you can fit there easily a SWM or a Ku-KA lnbf good for 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W, 119W

They do make a bracket to mount a single KU ( DirecTV ) LNB on a C-band type dish:

Ku2C3 Ku LNB Bracket for C Band Dish with 23 & 40mm Mount
* KU-band LNB bracket for C-band dish
* Allows mounting of a Ku LNBF on a C-band dish
* Has clamping for 40mm and 23mm LNBF throat sizes, fits just about any Ku LNB on the market
* Comes with 3 bolts to mount to your C Band dish

Dish LNB Brackets

I've also seen a bracket to mount a Dish 500 LNB on a C-band dish where the bracket tilted to get the correct angle, I have not seen one for the DirecTV KU/KA LNB's yet.

Attachments

• ku2c3-web-092609.gif
    ku2c3-web-092609.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 191
They do make a bracket to mount a single KU ( DirecTV ) LNB on a C-band type dish:

Ku2C3 Ku LNB Bracket for C Band Dish with 23 & 40mm Mount
* KU-band LNB bracket for C-band dish
* Allows mounting of a Ku LNBF on a C-band dish
* Has clamping for 40mm and 23mm LNBF throat sizes, fits just about any Ku LNB on the market
* Comes with 3 bolts to mount to your C Band dish

Dish LNB Brackets

I've also seen a bracket to mount a Dish 500 LNB on a C-band dish where the bracket tilted to get the correct angle, I have not seen one for the DirecTV KU/KA LNB's yet.

Hello PMKS:

LNBF suitable for off set fed antennas are concieved for f/d of 0.7
Prime focus antennas have different f/d

Therefore to take advantage of the antenna's surface you also need a special feed....

I have no doubt that when within the CONUS beam you will get levels even with LNBF designed for a different antenna due to the fact you have very strong signals.....but receiving doen't mean you're take advantage of the full antennas surface........due to all these facts I recomended to simply go for a larger oval antenna...cheapper, faster, easier, smaller....

Good Luck!!!

Steve
srodemyer@centurytel.net

Steve,

I have mounted Directv equipment on the old C band dishes. I just lag bolt the new mast to the outer rim..........treated lumber on one side..mast on the other and then plumb the mast. If the C band dish is out service the existing underground cable runs are fine for Directv. AND you don't have to get rid of the big dish.

Sorry that this is the answer to a question you did not ask.

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)