Converting a fixed KU Dish to C-band dish (Newbie)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cyberkidd

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Montgomery, AL
My boss has asked me to look into converting a fixed KU Dish (6 foot offset dish) into a C band dish to we can pick up a constant feed from one of our affiliates. I work at a University in the Television department. I have pictures of the dish and LNB mount. I found a few mounts to do the conversion, but the mounting poles don't look like they are going to work. Please could ANYONE point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much.

I am being told that I cannot include links to pics until I reach a post limit of 3.

I can post any info that I have. We are trying to reach Galaxy 16 for a news show called Democracy Now. It only plays at 7 in the morning CST. I am new to all of this technology.

you should be able to attach the pics here

hit reply and scroll down to where it says "manage attachments"...you can upload the pics then

oh ok. Thanks Iceberg! I have been reading a lot of your posts. Here are the pics. I have more, and I can also take more detailed pics of any of my equipment. I sure would appreciate the help.

Attachments

• ku dish revamp 1.jpg
    ku dish revamp 1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 233
  • ku dish revamp 2.jpg
    ku dish revamp 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 209
My boss has asked me to look into converting a fixed KU Dish (6 foot offset dish) into a C band dish to we can pick up a constant feed from one of our affiliates. I work at a University in the Television department. I have pictures of the dish and LNB mount. I found a few mounts to do the conversion, but the mounting poles don't look like they are going to work. Please could ANYONE point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much.

I am being told that I cannot include links to pics until I reach a post limit of 3.

Since this is going to be pointed to only one sat, instead of going through elaborate retrofit, why not use a C-Band LNBF with a Conical Scalar ring like this one from WSI international for your project. Here is what your final project may look like.

I wonder if the stock scaler ring would work since it is a larger dish?

I havent seen that feed on G16 (too early for me to be up) ;) to know what the signal quality is on a Prime Focus 6 footer

Cart ahead of the horse here, but once you get your dish ready you'll need this:

Here is the tp info:

3874 (freq) V (polarity) 6620 (symbol rate)

and dish setup info (for Montgomery, AL)

Your Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data Latitude: 32.3754°
Longitude: -86.2996°
Name: 99.0W Galaxy 16
Distance: 37090km
Motor Latitude: 32.4°
Declination Angle: 5.3°
Dish Elevation: °
Elevation: 49.9°
Azimuth (true): 202.8°
Azimuth (mag.): 205.6° using Compass
LNB Skew: 19.1°

BSC-421

I have heard some awesome stuff about this LNB. Would this work on my dish? I noticed the arms of the dish were different that others I have seen other places. I am going to need a LNB and conal ring.

Any ideas?

My experience has been the BSC-421 is excellent on a small dish, need to Skew it 90 degrees from vertical.

If your handy you can (GOOGLE search) use the Walrus1957 cone Scalar and get better performance then the WSI conical Scalar. It brings the dish into a highly reactive state and signals POP up at amazing levels.

Last edited:
be aware that anything rusted you will need to be careful with and use something that can break free the bolts & nuts without damage. i prefer using PB Blaster.

if your dish isn't already set for the satellite you want you will also have to spray the elevation adjustment bolts. ( if they are rusted)

I wonder if the stock scaler ring would work since it is a larger dish?

I havent seen that feed on G16 (too early for me to be up) ;) to know what the signal quality is on a Prime Focus 6 footer

If it helps, I've watched it fine on my 4ft dish in the past

My experience has been the BSC-421 is excellent on a small dish....

If your handy you can (search) use the Walrus1957 cone Scalar and get better performance then the WSI conical Scalar.
I remember someone did post some drawings for a conical scalar that looked like stacked funnels, made out of sheet metal.
But, upon searching for Walrus threads, all I found was where he threatened to post his design info.
As far as I could tell, he never did. (?)

Also, I've never seen anyone compare any of the designs to each other for signal quality.
- commercial
- what Brotherhood imported
- WSI / Galaxy
- home brew
(other than some unfavorable results by folks who've hand-made some)

Any links to material I've missed or forgotten, would be greatly appreciated! - :up

If it helps, I've watched it fine on my 4ft dish in the past
Looks like Scott is using a conical scalar on his 4' dish.
If you are using a 6', that sounds all the better.

As a first test before you get the conical, you might try reading this post:
ACradio and flat scalar tune-up on mini-bud:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...g-c-band-my-1-2-meter-dish-2.html#post1735458
But, even if you are successful, since this is a commercial application, I'd get the conical scalar anyway.

yes it was removed because it was a link to a site that condones stealing
please do not post links to hack sites :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)