Convoluted D*/HD/Moving Question(s)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

denhigh

Original poster
Aug 30, 2005
Okay this is fairly convoluted but I will be as brief as possible. I got answers to some of these questions from CSRs but (for some odd reason) am not completely sold on their veracity. I am I guess what you would call semi-clueless on most of this stuff.

Current Situation I am in Denver, where they are switching people over to the 5 LNB dish. I have not been switched yet, but don't really care because I get great OTA reception (until Jeffco decides to dynamite Lookout Mountain or whatever). However, I will be moving next week to a temporary location for around 2-6 months, then on to a permanent location. On my primary TV I currently have a partially broken HR10-250 -- the sensor will not accept anything from the remote so I have to do everything from the front of the box. I haven't wanted to shell out the $ on a new HR10-250 for obvious reasons.

Temporary Location OTA will be pretty much impossible. If I switch to a 5 LNB dish and H20 I will be able to get the locals that way, but I lose DVR capability. Question: Or do I? A CSR told me the HR10-250 is completely incompatible with the 5LNB dish, but would it be possible to use both the H20 and the HR10-250 (I have plenty of hookups on the TV)? Aside from the obvious of the HD locals would I lose the ability to record any other channels? Or is the CSR right and it's a moot point? Question: Obviously part of this will occur during football season. Will I lose any of the capability to get any of the Sunday Ticket in HD if I stick with the 3LNB setup? I have heard rumors here both ways and this is probably a stupid question but as a big ST guy this obviously has a big bearing on the decision. Options(?) If the HR10-250 will work with the 5LNB and only the HD locals would be unrecordable, I imagine I would go 5LNB with the 2 receivers (H20 & HR10-250). If not, I guess I would stick with my current setup minus OTA and lose the HD Locals (no Broncos in HD, sigh). Are there other options I am not considering? Also, would it be worth my time to weasel a free or cheap replacement HR10-250 (watching DVR without FF is brutal), or should I save that bargaining power for when the new HD-DVR comes out (and I am NOT speculating on that date, let's be clear)? Recommendations?

I pretty much know what I will do at the final location so I guess I don't have any questions about that. Please go easy on me -- this all revolves around a divorce. ;)

To kinda answer your question....

I am doing the whole move/upgrade to the 5lnb at the same time this week.

I was told by a retention person that the MPEG 2 Tivo HR - 250 WILL work with the 5LNB dish, but will only pick up the MPEG2 stuff.

Also, call retention, tell them your situation, i bet they will work with you. And you really don't have to weasel them into it. From my experience, as long as your not demanding things, they pretty much will help you out as much as possible.

I got a free upgrade to the H20, free install of the 5lnb, 10.00 of my bill for 12 months, free HD service for 4 months, and free Starz for 4 months. And I didn't ask for anything except, "what is the current replacement for the HR-250."

Hope that helps!
-Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts