Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK guys need some help

The Coolsat 5000 lots of times wont show the AC-3 PID...it just logs it as 65535. Now I remember a post from BJ about the retrojams pid and how to enter it

If a PID that big is working, maybe it's being interpreted as base 8192, and the first digits are being ignored. Or else I'm not understanding what's being said.

EDIT: Yep. I just plugged 16486 into Excel and did a MOD(16486,8192), and it came out 102, which is the real APID. Ie 16486-2*8192=102 .

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1656641-post26.html

so if I want to add some more AC-3 channels to my Coolsat, do I use the same basis of
X-2*8192=audio pid

so in the case of Sportstime Ohio on 121 the audio pid is 4097

so X-(2*8192)=4096 and it would be 20481?? I dont have a rs-232 port on my computer so I cant use Channelmaster ;)

trying to find the actual PID

alot of the AC-3 channels log the audio pid as 65535 but when I go into the edit pids it shows 0000
a couple of the AMC21 chanenls show a pid of 16585 or something like that

Ice,

I don't have a clue about how to receive AC-3, but I will suggest this: it's worth it to have a dinosaur computer with the 9-pin com-port for use with CS receivers. Of course your S.O. might object to having extra computers hanging around:)

(In my day-job as a physics teacher, having this type of port is very handy, also. Although everything is moving to USB connections, there is never enough taxpayer money to keep up with the latest interfaces.)

On my Coolsat 6000 when I go to edit the audio pid for an AC3 channel it shows the "16436" value, but it only lets me enter a four digit pid.

For the Coolsat if you take the "16436" - (16384) it will give you the "AC3" pid value, in this case it would be "AC3 - 52".

I am not sure how to enter it on the Coolsat, and I don't have an AC3 decoder close to my receiver anymore :(.

I don't have a Coolsat 5000 (only an 8100), so I don't know what the situation is with the 5000, but I've seen that with most receivers, that if a receiver doesn't scan in an AC3 PID by itself, that usually entering the PID by a manual scan just isn't going to work, because in addition to having the proper PID number, the receiver has to know that the PID is in AC3 mode, and most receivers don't have a way to do this. Receivers that have highly functional channel editor programs, will often have a check box of some kind that will allow you to indicate that the PID is in fact AC3, but some receivers don't have functional channel editors, such as the Coolsat 8100..... basically no way to enter either AC3 or MPEG4 PIDs on that receiver. My Diamond allows you to specify AC3 PIDs via the channel editor, but doesn't allow you to specify MPEG4 video in a manual channel, however I figured out a way of adding a hex number to the PID that tells the channel editor program that it's MPEG4.
Anyway, I think the ability to put in AC3 or MPEG4 PIDs via manual (PID scan) scan probably depends completely on how functional the channel editor program is, as it's unlikely that the receiver itself will allow this with most receivers. But I'm not familiar with the 5000, and it's channel editors, so I'm not sure..

Ice, I know it doesn't help, but the only way I've found to do it (on the 6000) is via the channel editor...
What get's me, once it scans the 5-digit PID, you can't even change it to a 4-digit (or less) through the menu. I always have to resort to the editor...

eh no biggie. I'll put the Visonsat in there. The only channel that I really wanted it for was Sportstime Ohio. The rest are MPEG2 (99 C-Band, 123W, and a feed from the motorized)

that outputs AC-3 to the decoder just fine

I'l post what the Visionsat shows for pids tonight. They show the pids in hex form ( I think)

like 1X011....I forget...I'll post tonight

Ice... do I understand that you are looking for the PIDs of Sports Time Ohio? Ie on G-23?? Assuming the SD channel, There are 2 audio streams
TSREADER shows
Elementary Stream PID 4097 (0x1001) AC-3 Audio

and

Elementary Stream PID 4098 (0x1002) AC-3 Audio

I still think the odds of you being able to get that into the receiver aren't good, since the receiver will be expecting it to be mpeg, not AC3.

Sounds like you need to pick up a legacy system so you can access legacy equipment. It's not like you are going to give up the hobby and never need to doctor your Coolsat configuration again. CM is the only way I could figure how to add the CW feeds on 91W that wont scan in.
I recently bought a 600mhz Celeron desktop with everything intregal, including 2 com ports for 5 bucks at a garage sale. It was infected with a rootkit virus running Win2K. Wiped the drive and did a fresh install of XP PRO and now she purrs like a kitten. It is either destined to be a grandkid's game comp or my new sat maint. computer if the RS232 and parallel port voltages are within tolorance. Not bad for $5.00 and a few hours of setup time.

BJ
thats what the Visionsat shows (the 0x0001) when I hit info but I cant do a conversion to it

oh well like I say I decided to use the Visionsat in there. Then I can record stuff :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts