Coolsat 5000 Platinum or 6000 Premium

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guapoharry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
32ºN 111ºW
I'm considering getting another STB. I'm looking at the Coolsat 5000 Platinum and the Coolsat 6000 Premium.

Besides cosmetics they seem to have nearly the same functionality. What if anything are some differences between these boxes? Pros, cons, etc.

My budget is $50 - $70. Used is OK. Is there another STB anyone would care to recommend?

Thanks.

The 6000 and 5000 pretty much do the same thing for what we want it to do..
the "other" group the 6000 has more EPG memory I guess

One of our sponsors is currently selling the Mercury II quite aggressively (shipping included).
There's a review of it in the Hardware Review department.
That's a little above your budget, but a relatively safe choice.

With the hackers going up and down on a regular basis, some overpriced and overhyped receivers show up used from time to time.
Some, even if they were $180+ new, are really not a good choice for true FTA use, as they don't have proper control of switches, or motors.
Point being, if you find something cheap and attractive, ask here first.

Quite a number of folks have shown up here looking to know how to hook up their CaptiveWorks 600 receivers.
They bought 'em thinking they had blind scan.
Well, apparently, it doesn't really work that way, and in another thread, I just suggested one of 'em return it and get the cheaper Mercury II.

The Coolsat 5000 has been very popular here on the forum for quite some time, and I'd assume the 6000 being pretty much the same (just more memory) should be fine, too.
Neither are being built any more, and anyone selling 'em new is flushing out old stock.
If you find one for a good price, I'm sure either would be an excellent choice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)