Status
Please reply by conversation.

ParaclipseCKu

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2008
Florida Space Coast
Just picked up a used Coolsat 5000 and was wondering from of those of you that have this receiver what version firmware you are recommend. It appears to have the orginal factory firm dated Oct 2005 1.00.

All the factory versions 1.00, 1.01 and the FTA only firmwares 0.02 and 0.03 do not support SWxx switches (legacy switches). Other firmware that I have found in used Coolsats do have this option. If you need or want to use such a switch, you would have to utilize other firmware versions. How you obtain them and whether you use them is strictly up to your own discretion as they are 3rd party stuff and not legitimately recognized for FTA use.

I would recommend the 0.03 firmware.

Follow the thread that Qwert1515 linked to.

RADAR

guapoharry & qwert1515,

Thanks for the quick response. Got the firmware loaded along with my channel list. Now time to learn a new receiver!

I've tested that 0.03 build for the Coolsat 6000. Nice bug fixes. :) I did notice one new issue, but it is not too big of a deal. Then you blind scan a circular dbs satellite it used to default to the 12200 - 12700 range. Now it is 12200 - 12200 so you have to bump it to 12700 before hitting scan.

Not a big deal since I am not scanning DBS too often anyway, but I thought I would mention it. I don't know if this is true on the 5000 firmware as well, but if your scan takes 1 second you might check the range. ;)

I've tested that 0.03 build for the Coolsat 6000. Nice bug fixes. :) I did notice one new issue, but it is not too big of a deal. Then you blind scan a circular dbs satellite it used to default to the 12200 - 12700 range. Now it is 12200 - 12200 so you have to bump it to 12700 before hitting scan.

Not a big deal since I am not scanning DBS too often anyway, but I thought I would mention it. I don't know if this is true on the 5000 firmware as well, but if your scan takes 1 second you might check the range. ;)

Gillham,

This bug is the same for the (0.03) 5000 firmware, too. You have to manually adjust the upper limit. But as you mentioned, it isn't used often so not a great concern. They should fix this, though.

RADAR

Actually, I think that any firmware that doesn't decrypt the encrypted stream is legal, so ALL the firmware available for the CS5000 is legal. :) My official legal opinion as a retired electrician.

I agree the firmware isn't able to decrypt the signal. The sticky point is the firmware is attempting to decrypt really hard, it is just failing. I don't know if that attempt is a legal problem, but look at the Viewsat guy. Even if you avoid DBS sats completely any nagravision you pass on 97°W, for example, might be "attempted" etc. So unless you can completely disable the decrypt code, I don't know that I would be recommending it. I'm not a lawyer. :)

Does this have the beep on signal in the options menu some of the software does? that is a real handy when tuning in a sat feature.

The CS 6000 hooked to a GS120 motor runs 0.03 and that keeps Dad happy.
The CS6000 0.03 messes with the meter in the 72%+ area and keeps it in line with the 5000 meter as far as I've noticed.

My CS 5000 runs 1.00 since timers are broken in 0.03
I like 0.03 until I need timers.

1.01 fixed some minor annoyances for me but added some frustrating Bugs as well.

Only the later hackware versions I've seen have tone on the Manual/PID Entry Screens as well as SWXX support
Too many unwanted features that get broken from version to version.
Oh like Forced SID sort :rant:
Disclaimer: I wanted to see about SWXX support and any other features like Signal Quality tone :eek:
Wasn't worth the hassle save for using the Tone while aiming and SWXX support when my Coolsat DiSEqC switch died.

My CS 5000 runs 1.00 since timers are broken in 0.03
I like 0.03 until I need timers.

interesting. I havent set a timer on the receiver with .03 but I use the receiver with 1.00 on timers all the time. Guess that receiver will stay on 1.00 ;)

Great thread! I should be getting my Coolsat 5000 today, and all the above will be helpful!

Thanks!

Buzz

I enjoy the people who post Coolsats (or any other FTA-related thing) on eBay and have the gall to put the shipping shipping at $30+. Ah, the joys of eBay!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts