Coolsat 5000

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I think I'm going to give a friend mine with no blind scan my Lifetime Ultra so I'll have to replace it with a new unit.

sidekick said:
Somene help me here... Is there anything I can tell my wife to convince her that we need two receivers?

honey...wouldn't it be nice to watch two different programs at the same time instead of fighting over which program to watch?

or how about this one :)

Honey, if I can blind scan for new stuff twice as fast, then there's more time for you :eek:

stardust1 said:
Well I think I'm going to give a friend mine with no blind scan my Lifetime Ultra so I'll have to replace it with a new unit.

I’ve used a Pansat 1500 for 19 months now as my main unit, and through all the reviews, the 5000 will be the one to replace it as the main unit : )

The fast scan is well worth it in my opinion. I just scanned G11 last night and the Coolsat was done and the Pansat was just starting the Vertical side to find new frequencies.

The big thing that the Pansat has issues with is when it hits a data TP…it’s like a deer in headlights and doesn’t know how to proceed.

Iceberg said:
honey...wouldn't it be nice to watch two different programs at the same time instead of fighting over which program to watch?
or how about this one :)
Honey, if I can blind scan for new stuff twice as fast, then there's more time for you :eek:

Hey Ice ... are you sure you aren't Dr. Phill? lol

Nah. The “watch two programs” is the same reason I say to relatives when they visit and wonder why I need 4 FTA boxes :D
(same reason why I need 6 dishes on the roof)

been kinda busy the last couple days so I havent had time to play with it more....hopefully in the next couple days I'll have some time :)

Now $245 cdn shipped out of Windsor or Dearborn for Canadian residents or $175 US with free shipping to US residents ...........on eBay.

Can anyone explain the inclusion of the component outputs? Does this stb do any actual HD decoding? My understanding of the component outputs was to be able to display at 480i or 480p. My DVD player is set to display on the component outs at 480p. I am sure that this is a confusing post, but I just wanted to know how the component outs on the 5000 are useful.

In general, Component outs are SUPPOSED to be better (signal separtion) than svhs outs...I have noticed that some of my equipment has better color saturation thru the component outs! Of course getting you to buy EXPENSIVE cables might enter into the mix! Think those are bad...price out HDMI cables that will pass HDCP signals...OUCH!!!

Thanks for the clarification guys. Are there any HD FTA STB's that are on the horizon? Maybe at CES? On another note, how much FTA programming is available in HD right now?

There is a HD receiver out there but it costs $700..most people do the PC Card route. They can be bought for under $100

Most HD is on C-Band but there is some HD on KU (PBS is 24/7)…the rest would be feeds

Iceberg said:
Nah. The “watch two programs” is the same reason I say to relatives when they visit and wonder why I need 4 FTA boxes :D
(same reason why I need 6 dishes on the roof)

Hehe, I just had to explain on Friday for the neighbours why I need 3 dishes on the roof in the middle of New York City... :D

Component supposed to be noticeable better. My 5000 is on the way, I expect it within days and I'll hook it up in the kitchen (Sony 27" CRT w/ component inputs), I can report back later about the difference if somedoy's interested.

I am very very interested...Since I have not seen a VERY noticeable difference except in some subtle color saturation with my Viewsat extreme.

However before getting this new HP Plasma (either a Panasonic or Pioneer I think) I did notice a major difference on an Older Pioneer RP early HDTV (the line doublers have gotten way better since then)

I had even gone to an outboard Upconverter on that setup (Focus Electronics) to enhance the PQ which it did....with the new 2006 model HP HDTV, I disconnected the Focus since the TV did as good if not better job!

regards
jeff

OK, it's just arrived today and I just got home minutes ago. AFAIK I have to load some sw/firmware first which is OK but why half of the remote control buttons are inactive?

T2k said:
OK, it's just arrived today and I just got home minutes ago. AFAIK I have to load some sw/firmware first which is OK but why half of the remote control buttons are inactive?
You don't need to load anything, you just need to get some satellites setup and channels scanned in. It will make more sense once you are knee deep in it.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
You don't need to load anything, you just need to get some satellites setup and channels scanned in. It will make more sense once you are knee deep in it.
Shawn

Yeah, in the meantime I figured out that 'loading' stuff: why everybody needs a good channel list editor sw. :D

However I have to tell you this is the least responsive remote control I have ever used. This is clearly an el cheapo piece of crap. :(

I don't have picture via YPrPb... hmm, I have to get in behind that big@ss CRT, maybe there's some sort of switch for that...

PS: &*$#, TV was set to skip that input.... grrr... now it's on. :)

Last edited:
So here's my assessment about YPrPb versus composite: it's slightly better, slightly less ghosted, slightly sharper on my TV (an average good quality ~3 ys old Sony 27" CRT).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)