coolsat 6000 bit the dust

Status
Please reply by conversation.
FTABman0
from what i understand about the coolsat warrenty if you bought it before Nov. 2007 from an authorized or official coolsat reseller they would honor the warrenty (5 years)

now when i shipped my 5000's back to them ...... my only problem was the expense to send it in and pay for the return shipment.... so now you could almost buy one off e-bay for the return cost.

hopefully you will be able to find out whats wrong with it .
or maybe someone has a broken one to swap parts with.

gabshere,
The problems I described to Coolsat via email they said they suspect that the darn thing is a clone! These boxes I loved when I first bout them. I went through 3 of them from the same dealer for the first one I bought I had to send back due to the stupid thing restarting all the time when I hooked the motor & lnb to it. I got the replacement one and no problems the first couple months then the new one started to do the same thing. I went to the very first firmware 1.00 and a database reset and it seemed to work but there is something wrong with the way it writes to the memory. It just can’t seem to write or store satellite scans then recover back to the installation screen without a hard restart. The box does this itself without my intervention so as you can guess taking about 5 hours scanning in the birds across the arc then loosing all the list but the one you scanned last was very frustrating at the least! I am done with Coolsat!

I have ordered a CNX MINI this week and it will be here next! I am on my Fortec Classic NA now in the living room and that old girl is the best! She is slow when gathering the birds but it is a work horse! I have not checked if there is a review yet for the CNX Mini but I will write one if not and post it. When I got into the hobby 3 years ago I wanted the 6000, it was the box to own then with great reviews and everyone seemed to talk highly of them. I finally get two of them and nothing but headaches with them. I did my research with the CNX boxes though and this time I checked it to see if the people in North Carolina where I am buying my new Mini are an authorized dealer and if the warrantee is good and yes to all!

My experience so far is to spend a little more for these boxes and you won’t be disappointed! Research the box to see if it has all the features you want but most of all, warrantee a + and make sure they are an authorized Dealer for the box brand name you want! I have learned my lesson!

Expect to pay over $130 for a box but I would never buy one lower than $90 again! I paid $85 for the Coolsat 6000’s with free shipping on each of them. I thought it was a steal at the price but not really!

Do your homework and find the box you want main manufacture website and look around. Don’t be afraid to do some reading. Almost all of the major STB manufacture websites have a “find a Dealer” or where to buy one tab. I would not buy one from EBay unless they can prove they are a confirmed authorized dealer buy the manufacture!

With the Coolsat, if I fix the power supply I will sell it or use it for a back up!

Was the Coolsat purchase from one of our Sponsors above?

One of our Gold Sponsors has the Fortec Mercury II for $89 shipped in E-Bay - Buy It Now. I ordered two on the Best offer. I have no other experience with them.

I have had excellent experience with SatelliteAV. Brian and crew have been WONDERFUL. Sadoun has been very fast on shipping and I have had very good experience with the dual LNBF's I bought from them.

As I am getting deeper into this hobby, I am going to stick with our GOLD Sponsors. I think the lack of severe headaches is worth it.

POP

Coolsat 6000 dead Too!!

Was the Coolsat purchase from one of our Sponsors above?

Pop,
No I bought the Coolsat 6000's off eBay at $85 Shipped about 4 months ago. I been eyeing the Conaxsat Mini's for awhile now and just bought one here last week. We don't have a CNX sponsor on here that I am aware of or I would have bought it from a sponsor on here. These guys have been great though, last Saturday we were shooting emails back and forth about the Mini. Jimmy Yun there talked about warrantee, them being an authorized CNX dudes and much more. I will talk to them about being a sponsor here on the satellite guys! :up

There is not too much difference between the Mini and the Trio or Duo satellite wise. Just PVR functions and if they play Divix or not.

Taken from a Conaxsat Dealer website:

What is the Difference between Mini, Duo & Trio?

Conaxsat Mini has one USB port. Basic PVR and No Divx

Conaxsat Duo has two USB port (one port on the front, one port on the back). PVR ready, No Divx

Conaxsat Trio has three USB port (two ports on the front, one port on the back). PVR ready and Divx Ready

Other than the PVR functions and Divix, the boxes are just about the same.

I am patiently waiting for my new replacement box to come! I do want to fix my dead coolsat though. Keep it around for a spare! I have the other one in my bedroom on my HDTV now but I have not turned it on in weeks. If this Mini CNX box pans out and I like it, that Coolsat is gone and a CNX Mini will reside in the bedroom as well. I am looking around for a good HD box now but really have not set my mind on one yet. Since my bad experience with Coolsat, I do research now before I buy any new box!

:D I can also relate on the accumulation of FTA equipment! This last 5 months I have bought 4 receivers and a new Invacom LNB I really did not need! Spare lnb and back up STB's is how I look at it! This hobby is addictive! I was looking at cheep used Fortec Star Classic NA's the other day on eBay. I was about to buy another one but have not found one cheap enough yet. I don't need another one but I thought if the price was right I would pick it up! I saw two different auctions of NA's that went for less than $30 shipped! Great deal and would make great Glorystar setups for friends!

Later POP!!

Last edited:
learn something every day

I had seen the Mini at recent swap meets, being sold by the usual crowd.
I just took it as one more overpriced hacker box.
And they were pretty well fleecing the buyers, too.
After your comparison, I'm much more receptive to knowing more.

When you get yours, try to work up a review.
(we need a check list for making receiver reviews - note to Iceberg) - :eureka
I think it would be a good addition to the site, here.

Just a comment - maybe some insight regarding clones --. Some "sweat-shops" are building electronic equipment in China or Cambodia or somewhere else, and they do the whole job from parts to cases, including the cases and shipping boxes. They also do the testing. Those units that pass the tests are sent to the brokers and put up for sale by the "MANUFACTURERS" and are legal units. The ones that fail are supposed to be destroyed... But they may get shipped to grey and blackmarket sellers - in the "factory box" with export seals etc, AND WE GET CLONES. Some manufacturers put special stickers on the eq. or software at their warehouses to try to stop clones (Microsoft is probably best known for this).
So it is hard to identify clones. Our suppliers' only choice is to stop selling the model and start a new line from another manufacturer (sweatshop). When the equipment is US made, we do not want to pay the prices... 'Nuf of the soapbox.
POP

Cnx Mini

I had seen the Mini at recent swap meets, being sold by the usual crowd.
I just took it as one more overpriced hacker box.
And they were pretty well fleecing the buyers, too.
After your comparison, I'm much more receptive to knowing more.

Anole,
The prices of these boxes have been high for a long time. I never gave it much thought about the hacker part. This box will be free of such “software” when I get it! The disclaimer on the bottom of their site and the Allinsat.com & Conaxsat main site goes:

''We do not provide or condone the use of third party software. Using third party software may be illegal and void product warranty. Our satellite receivers are designed and intended for 100% legal Free To Air use only. We will refuse sale to anyone whom we believe intends to use our product illegally or sell our products for illegal use. We do not support or condone any signal piracy of any kind. Please ensure that you check your local federal laws in regards to satellite reception and its intended uses.''

Mine will be 100% Hacker Free! The guys on here know how I feel about Illegal STBS! One reason I joined the site! My Coolsat's have the original 1.00 Version firmware in them, the first that rolled off the line! I never even gave them the official Coolsat updates!

When you get yours, try to work up a review.
(we need a check list for making receiver reviews - note to Iceberg) - :eureka
I think it would be a good addition to the site, here.

We will do with a review and I will post videos of setups on my YouTube account for all to see. My main lean toward the STB was the processor speed and memory! I looked on the forums and never seen a review about the Mini yet so we will be the first to post one!

Last edited:
Just a comment - maybe some insight regarding clones --. Some "sweat-shops" are building electronic equipment in China or Cambodia or somewhere else, and they do the whole job from parts to cases, including the cases and shipping boxes. They also do the testing. Those units that pass the tests are sent to the brokers and put up for sale by the "MANUFACTURERS" and are legal units. The ones that fail are supposed to be destroyed... But they may get shipped to grey and blackmarket sellers - in the "factory box" with export seals etc, AND WE GET CLONES. Some manufacturers put special stickers on the eq. or software at their warehouses to try to stop clones (Microsoft is probably best known for this).
So it is hard to identify clones. Our suppliers' only choice is to stop selling the model and start a new line from another manufacturer (sweatshop). When the equipment is US made, we do not want to pay the prices... 'Nuf of the soapbox.
POP

Pop,
Know what you mean here, according to Coolsat email to me they suspect mine are clones which really gives me the red a**! I thought I did my homework on my Coolsat boxes but they say clones. Both of them have the stickers on the bottom of them and the same parts they show on their website on how to spot clones (link to that in this thread). I really don’t think that the stickers on the bottoms of the units are a way to tell anymore. Mine has them, has the same boards but one difference inside. Where the number is printed on the main board on an original mine does not have that.

I read someplace after I bought them also awhile back that Coolsat has the hologram sticker on the box as well. My gift boxes did not. So yeah how are we to tell now when they copy the parts to the original and even have the same so called “original stickers” on them now? Very hard to! I suspect that my Coolsat’s may be clones but the guy I bought them from had an Authorized Dealer number in FL which checked out with Coolsat. You would think that the dealers would check the products they get to see if they are clones or not. It seems like it is harder to authenticate any legit box these days. We just have to take the word of the dealers which blows if they unload cheap boxes they get a price and pass them along as “not clones”!

Kevin

usual crowd means people who sell to hackers or people who dont get "support" so they dump them

Thanx Ice!
The manufacture of the CNX boxes seems just like any other brand of FTA STB out there. CNX boxes (Trio Duo Mini) are supported buy the Conaxsat website with manufacture updates for firm' just like Coolsat and others on the market.

Going back to the box being used for hackers, what box hasn’t? I think it is safe to say that all of them have had support for "shady bin files" at one time. After my Coolsat bit the big one and I was unhappy with those two purchases I wanted something faster and one to try with a simple PVR function. I found the MINI to my liking mostly due to the specs of the box. Memory and processor speed beats the STB'S I have now by far plus it was in a sale price range from a actual real dealer this time.

When it gets here it will stay factory (providing it has the factory bin, the Coolsats came with hacker software on them. The Mini will go back to factory if it has such!) I think it will be a great, fast FTA box!

Now if the Mini is a popular box for hacking, I truly do not know. I had seen looking around online since some feedback in this thread that it is possible. But I will never know for it is going to be used right out of the box for FTA only. I remember the Coolsat’s 5000 & 6000 were at one time a popular “hack” box too but I am sure there are people on here that have them for FTA only purposes. I still have one working true FTA Only Coolsat 6000 Premium that is a bin virgin!

Are we saying that we would never buy a Cadillac because they are being used for drive-by shootings? Come on here, things are what you make them out to be!

Note To Ice: any other member done a review of a CNX MINI yet? If not I will write one after testing it out!

By the way my brother loves the Satpros box! Watching GloryStar everyday! Thanks again my man! :up

uh? my coolsat 6000 didnt have anything fishy on it.

it may not have anything fishy in it but sadly Coolsat is one of the big ones for "support". I get a couple PM's as soon as "they go down" about "where do I get the newest update" because I own a 5000 & 8000

- clarify -

Are we saying that we would never buy a Cadillac because they are being used for drive-by shootings?
Come on here, things are what you make them out to be!
"The Usual Crowd" referred to the dealers offering FTA receivers and Dish dishes to the unwashed swap meet crowd, and telling them what they would do.
... and where on the internet to go to get the fixes.

And as for the Cadillac point, I was just saying that the Mini was going for some outrageous price, when I walked by.
$200+

SO, my first impression was that there wasn't anything an FTA receiver could have that would make it worth $200 to ME.
And even the unwashed (wanna be hackers) were getting fleeced!

Now that you've offered some interesting positives about the box, AND maybe it's available for less, I will be receptive to reading a review.

But to a guy who recently asked on the FTA forum how to get his nFusion Nova to work. . .
. . . that's like rolling up to a GreenPeace rally, driving your Hummer 1 !
(and if I have to explain that joke...)

But I've gone way too far off topic for a thread that should be about getting a Coolsat 6000 working . . .

Let's move on . . .

- clarify - Clarification understood when Iceberg explained it first.

I will be the first to say that I would never pay over two hundred dollars for a straight DVB FTA box! I would spend that money looking for a HD box and add a couple hundred! I never paid that much for my Mini not even half that much! It would be pointless. If it had all the bells and whistles still no. If it could set itself up out of the box maybe!

Now that you've offered some interesting positives about the box, AND maybe it's available for less, I will be receptive to reading a review.

For what I can tell Anole, the PVR feature has just been written into the firmware from Conaxsat for the Mini! From what I can tell the PVR is limited to 4 hours (about 1 gig per hour with a USB flash drive). I have not seen yet where it can be used with an external hard drive but I would venture to say if 4 Gigs is the biggest you can use, a 4 gig hard drive should work as well. I will test it to see if it can be used with a HD!

I do know that the Mini has no games! :( Bummer since I love the snake game on the Fortec NA & the 6000!

But to a guy who recently asked on the FTA forum how to get his nFusion Nova to work. . .
. . . that's like rolling up to a GreenPeace rally, driving your Hummer 1 !
(and if I have to explain that joke...) .

Depends on what exactly he was asking for help for. Setting it up or hacking it!
(But I know what you meant!)
Stereotyping makes a fool out you, assuming makes an…….., (and if I have to explain that well…)

I really don’t know how the subject changed on hacking boxes and support for boxes just in me replacing a dead Coolsat 6000 because it won’t work anymore. We are dwelling too much on the Mini and moving way off the subject here! Would we be talking about it if I said I was buying a new Pansat or another Coolsat or a Mercury II! Features were great speed & specs, memory & price so I bought one! I will write a review with video shots of screen setups when it gets here! Dwelling to much about what it can be used for in the FTA section here needs to be dropped for if someone new to the hobby reading this thread wants to, well we gave them enough fuel for the fire by now I believe! I am done talking about the Mini until it gets here and I get to test it out and get to write a solid review.

But I've gone way too far off topic for a thread that should be about getting a Coolsat 6000 working . . .

Let's move on . . . .

I agree! Anyone want to throw input on what is causing my Coolsat 6000 not to power on after a LNB input short? I still believe that it is in the power supply side. I did replace two of the main caps on the final DC out to the receiver side but still, I get a small ripple of voltage on each of the DC output points to the receiver board. Anyone have a similar problem and fixed it? Still kicking the question around here.

Techfizz got his fixed and my 6000 is still powerless! Would like to get it going again.

Last edited:
FTABman0,

The first thing I would check is whether any transformer or inductor windings are bad. There might be a burned out fusible resistor on there too (that's probably what the four big grey ones are). Be sure to replace them with the appropriate type. Finally, I would suspect the MOSFET (next to the green inductors), optocoupler, rectifiers, and controller IC, in that order.

I wouldn't be surprised if you blew the the LM317T too. Those things are supposed to withstand shorts, but I've killed them that way before. Though, that wouldn't stop the box from powering up of course.

Good luck! If you get tired of troubleshooting it, I might be willing to take it off your hands since you were thinking about selling it anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts