Please reply by conversation.

jaytee4320

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Surrey,B.C., Canada
No OTA with Coolsat 8000

Hello,
When I first scanned for ota with my Coolsat 8000 I got about 12 good digital channels. Since then I did a factory reset and now am not able to scan any ota.
Software version is 11.13.4A. If I need to do a firmware update could someone point me somewhere for directions for transferring data from PC to receiver?.
I have the unzipped .sgn file...now what??
Thank You.

Did you set up the parameters for OTA correctly?

If all your digital channels are UHF (all of mine are) I set mine to
low 460000
high 706000
steps 1000
free
tv only

and I get all my channels

I put in the exact parameters that you said Iceberg but nothing...took about 15 minutes to scan and came back with 'nothing to update'. I know my Antenna is good because it works on my Bev 9200. Any more suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Got the receiver today. Only attached OTA antenna. Went direct to TV via HDMI for locals. Nothing else attached. Plowed through installation and got a few HD locals OK except faces from eyebrows to top of head were elongated. Suddenly, the whole picture tinted dark blue. 1080i TV is not the problem (I also have DISH - pic is fine). I read and read and reinstalled. No dice. Is this thing busted?

Secondly, Scanned everything, but I only got 3 HD locals plus STD and misc. Misssing about 3 more very strong ones that pick up easily on plain old OTA by itself.

Any advise? Thanks, as always!

If I had a CS 8000 , I'd help you troubleshoot .........

Looks like the configuration upon setup is what determines full success.

SEveral members have this STB , so I bet by tomorrow you'll have some support.

Being your first FTA Receiver , it's not a walk in the park ...........
Keep trying ...............

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling this thing is shot. Know a little about computers. After about 20 minutes, the screen went from normal color to blue tint without any input from me at all. Sounds like a color processing chip blew. Will let you know how this works out.

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling this thing is shot. Know a little about computers. After about 20 minutes, the screen went from normal color to blue tint without any input from me at all. Sounds like a color processing chip blew. Will let you know how this works out.

Another thing to check is your video cable from the receiver to the TV. Try flexing the cable and jiggling it slightly in the sockets. Do you have a spare cable? How does audio behave?

is this on a OTA channel? If so, just flip the switch on the back off and then back on. It seems like on one of my digital subchannels (9-2 which is the FOX SD channel in Minneapolis) it does that sometimes (not all the time). Just that channel. The rest are fine

This might help someone else. My TV has "color correction". Turned it off and blue tint disappeared.

I still haven't figured out why I get a "square" picture with the elongated face when both TV and CS say "1080i and 16/9 ratio", or why I can't pick up the most powerful local Miami stations. Have tried about everything.

The odd thing is that ota worked before. I even replaced the coax and checked the connection. I scanned in some satellite channels did a factory reset and now no ota but I can scan in satellite channels. Do you think the atsc tuner might be hooped? Also is software ver. 11.13.4A the latest?
Thanks for helping.

Thanks for that Iceberg...I think I might try to upgrade firmware. I have never loaded new firmware...where can I go for info?? I have rs232 cable that came with cs8000. I have the 11169A.sgn file; what else do I need?? Sorry for all the questions.

Attached is the loader. You'll need that

1. hook up cable from box to receiver
2. Open up loader
3. power on receiver. Make sure it is on.
4. open up firmware you got from Coolsat site (make sure to unzip it). You'll scroll to "all files" to see the file
5. press start on computer
6. power off box with switch on back and turn right back on

Box will download newest software. DO NOT turn off box again until it is completelly done and cycled through. The computer will say done about 30 seconds before the software is done in the box.

Attachments

• CSUpgrade_v3.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 130
Iceberg: Have same problem and results. Will update per your instructions. Thank you very much.

Sorry Iceberg, when I open the loader .exe file I get this message 'MSCOMM32.OCX' not correctly registered. a file is missing or invalid'...
jimabbanat, how did you make out?

gotta be simple

JT - your antenna may be good, but is is plugged into the correct connector on the back of the unit?
I have a different FTA box, and put a little red dot beside the one coax connector out of about four, all huddled in the one corner.
It's very easy to miss if you aren't looking hard and close at the labeling, and even then the wording is not very clear.

From reading your comments, I gotta think either it's the parameters as Iceberg mentioned above, or the antenna jack...
Hope you track it down. :)

Somewhere in the menu settings (not sure where, I don't have a CS-8000) there should be a setting for 16:9/letterbox and 16:9 native. You're watching a native 16:9 signal, which is squeezed and must be un-squeezed by a monitor that is natively 16:9 (such as most HDTVs). Most SDTVs are 4:3, and require a letterboxed 16:9 signal that is presented to the monitor as 4:3.

Thanks Tron. Both TV and CS have been set to 1080i and 16:9 from the start. I'm at a loss. You're right. Pics are squeezed. Any other ideas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts